advertisement

Visit to N Wales

vince rocker

pfm Member
I'm planning to spend a few days next week in N Wales camping at Capel Curig. I hope to do some walking and take some photos, preferably combining the two activities. I know the area pretty well as a walker and climber but not so much for photography. I'm particularly interested in the industrial heritage sites.

The forecast is looking "mixed" at the moment so I may be restricted to low-level and the coast rather than the tops. Anglesey is always a good option if the cloud is down in the mountains so I've been reading up about Parys Mountain and the Porth Wen brickworks (inspired by @Mr Perceptive in the Industrial Decline thread). Rhiwbach engine house looks good too but not for poor weather. Of course there is the old saying about "no bad weather, only unsuitable clothing" ;)

Can anyone recommend places to go that are perhaps a bit off the beaten track, away from the usual YouTube videos etc? I don't mind a walk!

(A visit to Cob Records is also on the agenda :))

Dinorwig Quarry - but you want some half decent weather, though I think it looks best when the weather is sh*t. My preference is to go through Dinorwig village and park at the bus stop loop, then walk into quarry, you then have the choice of going up or down. National Slate Museum at the bottom

Cwmorthin - park at Tanygrisiau (drive through the village until you meet a gate blocking access to the quarry, there is parking there)., short walk up to quarry and lake, beyond that is a ruined chapel, keep on going and up the incline at the end and into Rhosydd Quarry - this is a nice walk, not too far, plenty of interest. You make this a circular walk going out the back of Rhosydd, to the Dam/Resevoir and back to Tanygrisiau

@ff1d1l is the man on the ground here, so hopefully he will post shortly!

Dinorwig Quarry - but you want some half decent weather, though I think it looks best when the weather is sh*t. My preference is to go through Dinorwig village and park at the bus stop loop, then walk into quarry, you then have the choice of going up or down. National Slate Museum at the bottom

Cwmorthin - park at Tanygrisiau (drive through the village until you meet a gate blocking access to the quarry, there is parking there)., short walk up to quarry and lake, beyond that is a ruined chapel, keep on going and up the incline at the end and into Rhosydd Quarry - this is a nice walk, not too far, plenty of interest. You make this a circular walk going out the back of Rhosydd, to the Dam/Resevoir and back to Tanygrisiau

@ff1d1l is the man on the ground here, so hopefully he will post shortly!

Thanks David, that's really helpful. Cwmorthin definitely appeals to me.

I hitched to Capel Curig one Easter from Brighton many moons ago. After gaining permission to camp by the river I damn near froze to death the following three nights. I had some fly fishing gear but caught nothing. My abiding memory is climbing down to the falls below the bridge and the snow. Apart from that it was not my best adventure.

advertisement

Back