advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
images

Is the best side. o_O:p

That might fly in the current climate!

To be honest, I'm not sure how Wes gets the gig. The party membership has drifted to the right under Starmer (loads of lefties have, errrm left) but I don't think it's shifted that far to the right.

Since candidates must ultimately face an OMOV ballot of members, I don't see how he wins. He could try lying like Starmer did but surely that won't work this time.

Unless there is a major change to the leadership election rules - which I would not put past Starmer and co.
He’s pretty slick, knows what he has to say, and most members are, to put it nicely, inclined to give prominent, well-spoken figures the benefit of the doubt. Wouldn’t be surprised if the Starmer trick works again, more than once. You also have to consider who he’ll be up against.

All that talent, suppressed during the Corbyn years, now blossoming.

FWIW I rate Rayner and don’t rate McCluskey!

PS I wasn’t having a go by quoting her, I think calling Tories, hypocrites, crooks etc exactly what they are is the right approach. Labour’s core problem is applying far too much blandness and fence-sitting to every issue to the extent no one knows what they think about anything at all. With the likes of Rayner, Lammy, Butler etc I know where they stand even if I may not agree with all of it. That’s a start.
I agree. A bit of "fight" is a good thing and can resonate with voters fed up with bland, indentikit politicians.

He’s pretty slick, knows what he has to say, and most members are, to put it nicely, inclined to give prominent, well-spoken figures the benefit of the doubt. Wouldn’t be surprised if the Starmer trick works again, more than once. You also have to consider who he’ll be up against.

All that talent, suppressed during the Corbyn years, now blossoming.
Well, yeah, there is that.

My thinking is that the centre of gravity in the membership is probably (very) soft left. Same goes for the PLP. Therefore, as long as Labour MPs can settle on a soft-left candidate, Streeting doesn't get a look in. I accept that I might be underestimating the gullibility of the membership.

As for Wes, he fails on his own terms for me. I mean, he doesn't come across as a particularly good media performer - merely competent. As for the claim that he's a "different kind of politician"...

Well, yeah, there is that.

My thinking is that the centre of gravity in the membership is probably (very) soft left. Same goes for the PLP. Therefore, as long as Labour MPs can settle on a soft-left candidate, Streeting doesn't get a look in. I accept that I might be underestimating the gullibility of the membership.

As for Wes, he fails on his own terms for me. I mean, he doesn't come across as a particularly good media performer - merely competent. As for the claim that he's a "different kind of politician"...
My sense of the membership is that a large majority really are in favour of “properly” left policies: they really do want to see quite radical redistribution, much more public ownership, withdrawal of support for repressive regimes etc. It’s just that they don’t understand that the right of the party really do not share these aspirations.

I think if the politics of the Labour right were widely understood they’d be in big trouble, because very few people, inside or outside the party, actually like privatisation, means testing and the arms industry. One of the major ideological functions of The Guardian, IMO, is to allow Labour members to believe that the right of the party basically share their values, if in a diluted or compromised form.

My sense of the membership is that a large majority really are in favour of “properly” left policies: they really do want to see quite radical redistribution, much more public ownership, withdrawal of support for repressive regimes etc. It’s just that they don’t understand that the right of the party really do not share these aspirations.

I think if the politics of the Labour right were widely understood they’d be in big trouble, because very few people, inside or outside the party, actually like privatisation, means testing and the arms industry. One of the major ideological functions of The Guardian, IMO, is to allow Labour members to believe that the right of the party basically share their values, if in a diluted or compromised form.
Yes

Great to see a right-wing government kicked out on its ear in Australia. The Australian Labour leader appears to be working class/from quite a poor and disadvantaged background and he made a good speech. Might be food for thought here rather than Labour fielding yet another focus group-friendly southern public school/lawyer type in a dull grey corporate suit.

Great to see a right-wing government kicked out on its ear in Australia. The Australian Labour leader appears to be working class/from quite a poor and disadvantaged background and he made a good speech. Might be food for thought here rather than Labour fielding yet another focus group-friendly southern public school/lawyer type in a dull grey corporate suit.

Yes good news from Oz, let’s hope the trend (including Bidens win in the US) extends to the UK. Its politics has been sharply divided since the days of Bob Hawke.

Surely Starmer is safe?

If the beer/curry thing did for some reason pick up a fixed penalty Rayner would also have to go.

Great to see Manchester and Liverpool putting their animosity towards each other aside for once although pretty sure Burnham is not a current MP so not sure if he can even stand for leader.
He can't.

It would be fun if he put himself forward as a PPC and Labour regional HQ and/or the NEC blocked him.

The current government is the worst in my lifetime, I never thought Thatcher could be beaten in terms of my hatred but BJ wins out.

To be honest, pretty much anyone in the current Labour Party would be an upgrade so why not just get behind them & see this lot off?

He’s absolutely right. No Conservative Party could ever survive in a real proportional democracy. They need the crooked, stacked and rigged table of FPTP. It is why the current system exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back