advertisement

Is Florence Mellowing

maccar

pfm Member
Anyone heard the latest album from Florence + the Machine, Dance Fever?
I'm no expert on her music, but it does seem a lot more mellow and I really like it, almost stripped back in parts!
Mac

She needs to mellow a bit. I someti mes like her stuff, then it all gets shouty. There's a still enough to give me a reason to give it anotber go.

I have it (and a tour ticket for later in the year) but haven’t played it yet. For me the mellowing occurred over the course of her last two (and to me most interesting) albums.

Hi, heard a track last week i thought it was great, did not know it was Florence, normally she just shouts in a toneless way, not for me, maybe a change of direction, we can all hope,

Hi, heard a track last week i thought it was great, did not know it was Florence, normally she just shouts in a toneless way, not for me, maybe a change of direction, we can all hope,

I have never understood the love- in the omnipresent You Got The Love cover she is off-pitch (annoyingly so at times) and it's hard to believe that this passed muster with a robotic-performance-obsessed record industry in the 2000s.

I obviously need to educate myself as I am sure a band like that must have some good stuff.

Forming an informed opinion on Florence and the Machine doesn't seem important any more. I'm not depressed, so it must be age.

Never been a fan but thought I’d check it out as I might like her new direction,
YouTubed and still don’t like it, seems a bit Shakespeare’s Sister and Goldfrapp thrown together.

I think I'll stick to posting on the Folk/Acoustic thread, I obviously don't know much about other types of music.
Mac

My daughter took me to see her at the O2 a couple of years ago. I was embarrassed when Florence insisted everyone hold hands and then hug the person to either side. Since I was the only old git there, let alone being the only male in at least a couple of rows. A wierd experience of a show... Modern day hippie feel.

I’m playing this one when I’m on Desert Island Discs...

If you know, you know.

I do....it's why in my function band I insisted on a mashup version beginning with the Candi Staton version, and transitioning to the Florence version. Keeps young and old happy.
Staton can sing like hell. Gives me the shivers. That alone is why I wasn't that impressed with the Florence version when it came out. The bar was already set high.

Yesterday I posted a huffy paragraph about Florence having the temerity to cover Staton and then deleted it. Hmm. I'm back again and huffing.
She usually sounds flat/off key (I don't know the technicalities) to me.
I also think Siouxsie Soux should sue.

She shares a certain ‘honkiness’ of tone with Adele. I don’t understand the appeal of the latter either.

The general public often have weird ideas as to what a good singer sounds like.

advertisement

Back