advertisement

Exposure Recap

John

Rack’em Up!
I have some filter caps on the way and wondering if this is a job I want to take on. I don’t have a picture of the 19 preamp but I know it has two caps. Has anyone worked on these amps? I need to do the power amp and phono preamp. I have a 35 watt soldering iron and a 100 gun and I’ll need some lead solder. Any recommendations for solder? What else do I need? Hoping all the connections aren’t soldered.

NFPGpUl.jpg

6qi8duM.jpg

Nevermind, going for a full recap so having it done professionally. Way above my pay grade.

Don't know if you already have anything organised but if not feel free to PM me. Just done a pair of 16 monoblocks, FWIW, for another fishie:)
Thanks, but I’m in the US and have someone in town who has familiarity with Exposure. I think it’s a good idea to do the whole shebang and not just the filter caps.

When I sold my Exposure XX, buyer asked has it been re-capped,
i said no it didn’t need it, totally original and sounded very good,
it was a very good amp but just not as good as the Myryad,
I offered to refund him if there was issues knowing he’s in Singapore,
didn’t hear back from him.

Any half-competent electronics engineer will be able to test capacitors, even I have an ESR meter. The concern here is John has stated he has left the amp powered-up 24/7 for 20+ years which will be far beyond the capacitor manufacturer’s lifetime rating spec. They will almost certainly have dried-out to some degree just due to basic chemistry and operating conditions. I’d personally just do it, but it’s the sort of thing I can do easily myself for nothing more than component cost.

" The concern here is John has stated he has left the amp powered-up 24/7 for 20+ years".
Didn't see that, where does it say that?

For the record, I’m sending the power supply caps back and doing nothing with the amps. They’re working and sounding just fine. I appreciate those that participated on this thread.

advertisement

Back