advertisement

Monkeypox virus

The DM and Sun are having a field day. It’s 1981 all over again for them. Will Boris arrive somewhere/anywhere to take charge tomorrow?

I read that it is mostly in London and the southeast and until just recently was in people who had arrived from Africa and their close contacts.

Update - one of the London contacts took the virus to Newcastle
With a sack of coals…

A fabricated press story that smells like a baboon's armpit to me...

One of our local pub regulars brings his pet baboon in most Sunday lunchtimes, so I think I may stay away for a few weeks just to be safe.

On second thoughts I can't do without the Sunday lunch pint, so I'll wear a mask and all will be fine.

Except the baboon does have a tendency to steal my nuts, though to be fair I do feed him occasionally so it's probably more expectation on his part that I will just accept the little bugger stealing my nuts without complaint.. at least he doesn't drink my beer.
Little bugger steals everyone's nuts actually. Hate to think what it'll be like next year when he's a bit bigger and hungrier..

Last edited:
Initial reports suggest transmission is predominantly between gay/ bisexual men. Worrying in that HIV is thought to have been a simian virus that jumped species.

Some prefer the more generous proportions of the Capybara, the world’s largest living rodent.

wzMVudT.jpg

…positivity smouldering

Monkeypox outbreak was waiting to happen, say scientists
Proportion of people protected has fallen substantially in decades since smallpox vaccination ended

“This outbreak was really waiting to happen,” said Dr Romulus Breban, a researcher at the Pasteur Institute in Paris. Mathematical modelling by Breban and his team in 2020 found that in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, for example, immunity to monkeypox fell from 85% in the early 1980s to 60% in 2012. With declining immunity, monkeypox posed “an ever-increasing threat for health security”, he wrote at the time. In 2020 the DRC had more than 4,000 suspected cases and at least 171 deaths.

“Our immunity level is almost zero,” Breban said. “People aged 50 and above are likely to be immune but the rest of us not, so we are very, very susceptible.” He believes the outbreak can be contained and said it was an opportunity to propose vaccination campaigns in countries where the virus is endemic.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...outbreak-was-waiting-to-happen-say-scientists

advertisement

Back