advertisement

Extra long cartridge bolts…

You will find Model Fixings carry a huge range at very low prices.................................

SS galls, but as nothing to aluminium. Even anodised aluminium also oxidises and locks-up. Near certainly the root of Linn advice.
Anyone using aluminium fixings needs to use some type of anti-seize on them.

You don't what anything with steel involved for cartridge mounting, even some stainless steel is not completely non-magnetic. Use aluminium, titanium or a non-magnetic stainless steel.

Also cartridge mounting bolts are M2.5 not M3.

Thats why i posted a link to a M2.5 not M3 screws, they have been working fine for me for years as they are identical to what i have been supplied by various cartridge manufacturees but interesting to hear about Nylon, sounds like a better option!

I did find all the Chinese ones, but was hoping for Uk based with quicker postage but i’ll just order from them as i cant find any UK ones.

I need 6mm ones.

Only just seen this- cartridge screws? I've had a few, but then again too few to mention

There are some 25mm in that bag, although they don't look like ally

First, thanks to TonyL. He obviously uses better search terms as he pin-pointed upthread the exact item I was looking for on the bay but missed. Interesting info that early SME arms came with nylon fasteners too. Maybe carts were lighter then but still would be relevant for your average MM today at the least?

It’s 2,5mm not 3mm( G T Audio). On my cart the latter won’t pass through. That also suggests another solution. Plug taps are much the same price as one of the nylon fasteners I’ve bought. My fall back position would have been to use a 3mm or near imperial equivalent tap to cut a thread and secure from the top with a short bolt as is now becoming common practise. My cart is aluminium where the holes are but I reckon the modern plastics would also take a thread.( Clearwater Audio/ Virtuoso/ Ebony. This cuts a thread directly into the hardwood so that’s good too)

Brass is heavier than steel! Thanks to Barry for sorting that out.

Of course it’s stuff like this you don’t get with streaming:)

g1dcw5udz4e61.jpg

advertisement

Back