advertisement

Another Leak Stereo 20 restoration

That's a superb piece of work. I am prepared to get that they weren't built to that standard in the factory in 1961.

That's a superb piece of work. I am prepared to get that they weren't built to that standard in the factory in 1961.

It's certainly a better paint finish than on my other one which has its original paint. The paint finish is usually pretty good on the main chassis but is often quite poor on the transformer shrouds.

I see a pristine Leak Stereo 20 in my future.

I felt the same way looking at some these lovely Leak amps and ended up with 2 x Stereo 20's and then a very nice pair of 12+ monoblocks in champagne finish. The good news is that being dinky sized they do not take up much space.

Nice to have a Stereo 20 back in the house. :)

After accidentally selling both my ST20's (to @Alex S and @Amormusic respectively) I was keen to get another.

This is my fifth ST20 resto and differs from the others in a few details.

I usually use F&T for the two big electros but this time I used ARS, which are a bit taller and I think look a bit more original. The downside is that they're slightly narrower diameter and so the capacitor clamps need shimming out a little.

It also has an IEC socket fitted, which isn't something I'd normally do but it was fitted by the previous owner who'd started a restoration of the amp but abandoned it part way through.

New ST20 side by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

New ST20 rear by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

New ST20 underside by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

I've also taken a tip from @snowman_al and disconnected the heater supplies and HT line from the pre amp socket and tucked them away under the board.

It's not 100% finished yet and there are still some cosmetic improvements to be made (rusty screws etc) but it's all working and sounds a lovely as an ST20 should.

That is truly beautiful, Mike, well done for keeping a much loved amplifier up to the standard she deserves. You will also have a pm. ;)

Anyone Leak hunting, it’s an excellent sport, should go for one of Mike’s, but Mike, please keep one for yourself, regardless of Radfords.

I’d like to know why you changed the colour from black to sand and if it plays any part in originality?

When (ahem) I get one would you do it in black, or another RAL colour?

I’d like to know why you changed the colour from black to sand and if it plays any part in originality?

When (ahem) I get one would you do it in black, or another RAL colour?

The first one in this thread? It was originally bronze but had been crudely painted satin black with a aerosol can by some idiot in the past. I restored it back to the original colour.

Yes the first one. Aha! Glad it’s gone back to original.

my second question - would you restore to a custom colour??

advertisement

Back