advertisement

[FS] Roland D50

snowflake

Former Albino Ape
So,

By some tragic means I have one of these in my possession, could anyone give me a loose idea of value, e-bay owners seem to have a rose tinted slant on their value :)

My mate bought it from one of the Kane Gang, if the flight case is to be believed, as I was with him when he bought it, but this was a lot of years ago.

So its in good working order, obviously gigged back in the day, given it belonged to a beat combination, but has had pretty light (if any) use in the last 15 years.

The bad is that my nice has written 'CDEFG' etc on the middle couple of octaves in sharpie, and the foam has rotted out of the flight case, so it like a flight case 'shell' at the minute.

There are three (possibly 4) cards with it and the manual on CD.

S

I’d have thought you could get the sharpie off with isopropyl alcohol. The keys are just white plastic, nothing to rub off or damage.

I like the D50 a lot, it’s a classic in its own way now with many iconic presets and is pretty good fun to program (as much as any 80s-90s letterbox synth is). I had a second hand one for several years in the ‘90s and liked it. It can do the sort of early-90s electronica pads with ease, think Warp AI series etc. Really nice lush stereo sounds with good built-in FX. The ‘partial’ joystick is fun too. As to value, and without being bothered to research (check sold eBay listings), I’d have thought £500+ for a genuinely nice one.

The cards will add value for sure. I never had any with mine, but I was more interested in programming it. The flight case and provenance maybe too. I’d be tempted to thoroughly clean it, photograph it really well, and then stick it up on eBay with a start bid of a quid and see where it ends up. Might be worth selling the cards individually.

Tony,

Many thanks, I was thinking (and fearing using in case the keys melt) thinners/solvent, as opposed to isoprop, so that's been worth the entry fee alone :)

Theres a local company who may be able to refurb the interior of the flight case for me. I had a quick look at e-bay and they seemed to be in the 5-700 range, but not many appeared to be moving!

Thanks again

S

Agree with Tony, a fun synth, probably £500 is the going rate. If you pop the case off there's usually plenty of spare key towards the top which is usually hidden that you could experiment with solvents if you decide this is the most likely route. I'd have thought alcohol then nail polish remover would be the most likely solvents to remove it. I'd definitely be damping a cloth with the solvent and rubbing the marker pen, than dousing the key in the solvent to minimise exposure time.

There's a chance that you'll end up with an overly clean key area where you've rubbed rather than the marker pen, if it's been well used and gigged...

Thanks again.....cotton bud and isprop removed the graffiti, and a touch on some kitchen roll to give the keys a clean.

Some poor quality photos at link below, fairly good order besides a touch of flaky paint on the joystick and midi button, if you want to travel down memory lane :)

Still needs a mindful dust though!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/24ueP7qKfDgfxCTD7

S

So flight case has now been re-lined, so if you are a retro synth head yourself, or know one then how about £450, will need to be collected (Teeside area).

I'll take some photos of the case and list the memory cards in the next couple of days.

S

PS Note its very heavy, I can just to say lift it, but I am very weak!

advertisement

Back