advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2022 remastered edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there's a pretty clear tendency on here to put absolutely all of everything negative down to brexit.
No there isn't. Nobody is suggesting that brexit caused the fuel crisis. Nobody is suggesting that brexit caused covid or the supply chain problems that resulted. However what we are saying is that brexit did nothing to ameliorate these ill effects, and, worse, generated a host of ill effects all of its own.

No there isn't. Nobody is suggesting that brexit caused the fuel crisis. Nobody is suggesting that brexit caused covid or the supply chain problems that resulted. However what we are saying is that brexit did nothing to ameliorate these ill effects, and, worse, generated a host of ill effects all of its own.

Perhaps he could name the aspects of UK commercial and social life that Brexit has helped? Apart from mass recruitment of more border and customs staff and a few political careers, that is.

What on earth are you wittering on about?

PS Rhetorical question. Please ignore. Not asking for an answer (not least because I'm sure any answer wouldn't make any sense).
I didn’t think you’d work it out. The clue is you don’t have a clue.

Found the quote:

"In a recent speech justifying unilateral repudiation, Lord Frost, Johnson’s negotiator, argued that “The detail of the protocol’s provisions was essentially imposed under duress because we had no ‘walk away’ option.” As a matter of fact, we did. But it would have been too costly to exercise. In these negotiations the EU was (and is) in a stronger position, because it matters far more to the UK than them. This is power, which matters in international relations. Who knew? Not Frost, it seems."

Found the quote:

"In a recent speech justifying unilateral repudiation, Lord Frost, Johnson’s negotiator, argued that “The detail of the protocol’s provisions was essentially imposed under duress because we had no ‘walk away’ option.” As a matter of fact, we did. But it would have been too costly to exercise. In these negotiations the EU was (and is) in a stronger position, because it matters far more to the UK than them. This is power, which matters in international relations. Who knew? Not Frost, it seems."
No, you surely have that all wrong. We held all the cards. They need us more than we need them. I distinctly remember being told that. Repeatedly.

Found the quote:

No, you surely have that all wrong. We held all the cards. They need us more than we need them. I distinctly remember being told that. Repeatedly.

In other words the 21st Century ‘British Empire’ overplayed a bad hand using Frosty’s poker face.

“Jesus another person blaming Labour. Labour didn't and wouldn't have staged a referendum in the first place”

No I’m not blaming Labour just stating the obvious that Labour sat on their hands pre Brexit referendum. We are out and we have to get on with it. The Conservative right wing screwed us all over, are continuing to do so and will do as long as it suits them. I actually vote as always for none of the above in every election because I believe that our politicians are career polite only self interest in hand.

“Jesus another person blaming Labour. Labour didn't and wouldn't have staged a referendum in the first place”

No I’m not blaming Labour just stating the obvious that Labour sat on their hands pre Brexit referendum. We are out and we have to get on with it. The Conservative right wing screwed us all over, are continuing to do so and will do as long as it suits them. I actually vote as always for none of the above in every election because I believe that our politicians are career polite only self interest in hand.

I hope 'none of the above' satisfies something for you - it is in effect a vote for the Tories of course. The "they are all the same" trope is something their media buddies push relentlessly.

In other words the 21st Century ‘British Empire’ overplayed a bad hand using Frosty’s poker face.

Yes, we shouldn't allow ourselves to forget that we are no longer the empire at the table. We're just an awkward ex-colony, and auntie Europa is going to keep us tied firmly to her apron strings.

Or chained up in the basement.

And the other problem is that most Brexit voters, despite making the argument that there are cultural, economic and political differences between us and them, can't see that it is equally valid on that basis for Scotland and NI to argue for independence. It is a politically reckless argument, in my opinion.
Well I didn't see this coming. Peter Hitchens in today's Daily Mail is arguing for English Secession. English Restoration, he calls it. His reasoning feeds on the Imperial Imaginary yet at the same time rejects it, as if to say: the Empire shows how great we are, but we should give it up entirely in favour of English UDI. Only then will we be the pure England of my imagination. The purest, most distilled essence of England.
It is utterly baffling.
Peter Hitchens said:
We have gained great things from [Empire] in experience and knowledge as well as treasure. Many of our former subjects and their descendants still seek and choose to live here, and they are very welcome. But the Empire is over and we shall never again rule the waves or make the great powers of the earth tremble with the might of our Navy.[...]
Call me a ‘Little Englander’ if you want. The great marvel of this country was always that it was so small, yet came to dominate the whole world for a few astonishing decades.

I would rather be jeered at for admitting our real size and our true limits, than be like the frog in the fable, which tried to puff itself up to be bigger than the mighty ox, and so exploded into fragments.

Yes, we shouldn't allow ourselves to forget that we are no longer the empire at the table. We're just an awkward ex-colony, and auntie Europa is going to keep us tied firmly to her apron strings.

Or it delivered greater opportunity for growth and increased significance as part of something more substantial. "Chained up" - hilarious. Well the ties are cut and the trajectory obvious. Well done you.

Keep your S&M fantasies to yourself!

March of the Kippers to the South Pole, there to meet their destiny.

f2WbOnO.jpg

Well I didn't see this coming. Peter Hitchens in today's Daily Mail is arguing for English Secession. English Restoration, he calls it. His reasoning feeds on the Imperial Imaginary yet at the same time rejects it, as if to say: the Empire shows how great we are, but we should give it up entirely in favour of English UDI. Only then will we be the pure England of my imagination. The purest, most distilled essence of England.
It is utterly baffling.

It's like that bloke on here a few days ago arguing for Brexit because it would help preserve our 'race'. But Peter Hitchens has always been barmy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back