advertisement

LFD Mistral Question

Shane2468

pfm Member
Always have been a little curious about the Mistral Integrated Amplifier.

I’m a tad confused – how many versions of Mistral Amps exist? On Google, the current version retails for around £2300, ouch! I quite like the looks though.

What is the sound character of the Mistral like? Are they fussy to set up etc?

Cheers.

S.

Not sure if I have this right but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

From what I recall the original Mistral integrated preceded the ongoing LE series and can be seen as essentially the blueprint for that amplifier.

The new Mistral seems to be a step under the LE VI kind of a stripped down version for those looking for a taste of the LFD house sound at a lower price point.

An older Mistral at a bargain price would make perfect sense but for the difference in cost on the new series you may as well just grab an the LE and be done with it.

I owned an LE III and swiftly moved up to the NCSE once I learned that I found something that I really liked and haven't looked back since.

They don't look like much but they are a really fabulous sounding amp provided that your speaker choice isn't too demanding.

The new Mistral is fabulous too, has a certain magic to get behind the veil and let you get deep inside the music.

If you can live with the LFD house aesthetic, the no looks look and lack of remote (unless you splurge out on the Anniversary Linestage R II preamplifier…) the the Mistral or LE IV integrated amps might be the way to go.
That said, I have no experience of the above mentioned.

However, last year I went from an original NCSE to an LPCD integrated. The NCSE MK III was an option and is by most accounts fabulous, but the risk taker in me opted for the Low Power Class D amplifier.
I lived with my original purchase for a decade before changing and as stated many times the NCSE was an incredibly informative and involving amp, it’s replacement builds on those twin factors. With the LFD I listened to more music of disparate genres than previously.

I am also fortunate to use a MCT SE phono stage.

Interesting side story which you can check if the estate details are still online: the late Walter Becker owned an LFD LE that might suggest the refinement you are looking for.

I cannot afford the LFD cables which could elevate my listening experience yet further but have found that some secondhand XLO Electric interconnects work very well, speaker cables are Kimber Crystal 24 going into Sonus Faber Electa Amator II loudspeakers.

Mik Bhavnani at Unique Audio might be able to give advice, then again any good dealer should let you have one on loan.

Cheers guys.

Are LFD Amps fussy - when it comes to loudspeaker matching? As for cables - is it strictly low capacitance only?

Sorry for the daft questions.

S.

They typically have passive preamps inside AFAIK so interconnects will make a difference, shorter the better I’d suggest. They’re not massively powerful either so easy to drive speakers would be better.

Hello Shane2468,

Probably not, unless the loudspeakers are a difficult load to drive. I bought both of my amps blind, so took the opportunity to talk with Richard Bews in advance of purchase and he thought the NCSE might be a bit polite in the context of the system.
Previously I had used a pair of Michell Alecto mono locks and then a muscular Chord power amp and my thoughts are that the LFD is neither short of power or lacking with the Sonus Fabers.

An LFD owners club thread is running over at Hi Fi Wigwam, maybe worth canvassing opinion there.

Stuart

I owned the latest Mistral and must say that I was not impressed. It was a fine amp but the moment I heard the Croft Phono Integrated in my system I knew the LFD was not long for my setup. My dealer was clear that this amp is not the same circuit as the two models up and not in the same league. I recently acquired a Naim Nait XS3 and prefer it to the Mistral and Croft. My amp search is over.

I had a Mistral silver sig some 15 years or so ago, paired with PMC DB1 speakers. Wish I still had that amp to compare to the current system. Bought off the wam for about 350 I think, and sold on around the same.

FWIW I had a naim nait XS, sonneteer campion and lfd pa0 power amp + passive pre here all at the same time and my preference was

1. lfd
2. campion
3. nait

The pa0 was subsequently sold on when I built my current avondale qudos power amp, which I preferred. I wouldn't hesitate to try LFD again and would love to try one of their amps on the proacs I have here at the moment.

I owned the latest Mistral and must say that I was not impressed. It was a fine amp but the moment I heard the Croft Phono Integrated in my system I knew the LFD was not long for my setup. My dealer was clear that this amp is not the same circuit as the two models up and not in the same league. I recently acquired a Naim Nait XS3 and prefer it to the Mistral and Croft. My amp search is over.

Hope you don't mind me asking. Can you describe the Mistral's sound signature / how it behaved in your system?

S.

I had a Mistral silver sig some 15 years or so ago, paired with PMC DB1 speakers. Wish I still had that amp to compare to the current system. Bought off the wam for about 350 I think, and sold on around the same.

FWIW I had a naim nait XS, sonneteer campion and lfd pa0 power amp + passive pre here all at the same time and my preference was

1. lfd
2. campion
3. nait

The pa0 was subsequently sold on when I built my current avondale qudos power amp, which I preferred. I wouldn't hesitate to try LFD again and would love to try one of their amps on the proacs I have here at the moment.
I owned a Campion and Alabaster as well. My order would be different than yours, obviously. That said, I don’t know what version XS you had and the 3 is said to be quite an improvement.

Hope you don't mind me asking. Can you describe the Mistral's sound signature / how it behaved in your system?

S.
It’s been a couple of years. First to answer another question you had. My dealer said that the LFD amps sound better with LFD cables including the power cord. I tried that…the sound was clearer and brighter. Yeah, I would say better. The LFD amp replaced a Belle’s Aria and was just a bit more involving…not resolving. I was not entirely satisfied but thought it might be a keeper. Then I took in a Croft Phono Integrated on demo. The LFD did not last long in my system after that. Much deeper connection with the music with the Croft. Keep in mind that I had the 2018 Mistral which is said to not share the same circuit as it’s two more expensive siblings. The Nait XS3 entered and the Croft has not seen the light of day since. I think the Croft is a fabulous match with my little Harbeth’s and that is probably how I will sell them. The Nait is perfect with the Graham’s, for my taste.

I owned a Campion and Alabaster as well. My order would be different than yours, obviously. That said, I don’t know what version XS you had and the 3 is said to be quite an improvement.
It was the first xs I had I think. It rocked but I found it fatiguing, and side by side with the campion the sonneteer just sounded more tonally accurate in the context of the rest of the system/room. The xs killed it in the bottom end but the openness of the campion win out. The lfd was the best of both from memory. All very system/room/ears dependent of course

I think that may be where the latest XS differs. I am also using Chris West’s upgraded Tibia with it. The XS3 has all the balls and ability to rock as it’s predecessors, but with a refinement, texture and tonality that is much more in line with my preference’s. I loved my Campion and Alabaster, and for much the same reasons you did. This Nait has all they had and more, which I’m not sure I fully expected.

advertisement

Back