advertisement

Headphones, wired to replace Sony wireless noise cancelling ones

Puggie

pfm Member
I have a pair of Sony WH-H900N wireless noise cancelling headphones. The were bought on a whim for a noisy airplane trip and were excellent. Since Covid they have done superb duty for Zoom/Teams meetings and have been a 100% solid worthwhile £150 purchase.

Now I'm wondering what would be a decent upgrade from these, purely for music listening (so more to complement to Sonys than replace them)? I used to nick a friend's Sennheisers about 20odd years ago, I believe they were HD600s, (nice grey pebble marbled finish) and they were superb. Would something like these be a decent upgrade from the Sonys? any other suggestions (I remember trying a set of Jeklyn Float2s and them being quite good also)? I don't want to spend daft money (couple of hundred quid) and second hand would be fine, and I have a Sugden headmaster to poke them along with.

Any suggestions (apart form joining Head-Fi)?

I also would not hesitate to recommend the HD600's the new ones have a slightly updated appearance without the marble "bench-top" finish but still sound the same as the original model. A quick look over on Rtings.com and you can find the response measurements of the HD600, 650 and 660. if you compare the graphs of all three you will find the HD600 to be the flattest while the HD660 has a bit of a "bass bump" at the cost of an early HF roll off. The 600 is also the best price while outside the sound profile the build quality is identical for all three models. All three can use the same cables so you can run the HD600 in balanced mode by just using the balanced cable supplied with the HD660. (available as a spare part).
A nice alternative is also the Beyerdynamic DT880. Its a little brighter (not by much) and sounds very nice... I ended up with both because I could decide on one.
Both headphones also have replaceable pads and other spares so you can keep them going for ages.

Lpspinner.

HD600’s just seem right to me, doubt I’ll ever be without a pair.

A nice, cheaper alternative are the HD58x Jubilee. I also have a pair of these, and they go for under £150 on eBay. Recommended.

One could also look at shure SRH 1840 or 940 if you prefer closed headphones. Both are excellenr IMHO

advertisement

Back