advertisement

Today I have mainly been v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
16 years is very good. I've had my Focus over 13, but think it will be going later this year.
The A2 is still going strong. Drove like a dream all the way to Bristol according to the new owner, which is what I'd expect (I used to take it to the Bristol Show every Feb without a moment's hesitation). They don't corrode, and the mechanicals are pretty well thought out and well designed. There are a couple of things that kill them, due to unobtanium parts, but I wouldn't see any reason why the new owner couldn't use it daily for another 5-10 years, or more.

That all looks great gintonic, I've never tried merguez sausage or fried cauli (where have I been?).

fried cauli - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/jul/17/fried-cauliflower-tahini-recipe-ottolenghi - he pretty much deep fries his, i use about a tablespoon for each batch - and brown it. I also used dill in the dressing as I had no mint.

beans dish - https://jamiegeller.com/recipes/spanish-navy-beans/ very similar to a beans dish we have had in Spain.

Been to buy an oggie for later and dragged a couple of suitcases down from the loft. Thinking of calling VM to cancel the service with them, I just can’t face the anticipated arguing with them about it.

Went for a day trip to the East Midlands. First stop was Derby, in order to try out a second-hand camera lens. I decided to buy. I had been warned in advance that I wouldn’t be able to take it with me, so I sat in a corner of the shop, ordered and paid for it online, selected free 24-hour DPD delivery and, having checked with the salesman that the order had gone through OK, left without it. Mine is not to reason why.

There was a record shop next door, so in I went. ‘Bloody hell, it’s a beard contest’ said the boss. I looked around and saw the only other two punters also had longish beards. ‘Yours wins, though’ he continued, nodding towards me. Blatant flattery designed to get me to buy something, of course. So I did - I thought I could do with an addition to my Bowie collection.

52078267458_ea60fec290_z.jpg

Kudos to Derby, I thought as I strolled through the intermittent rain showers back to my car. Kevin Coyne is not an obvious subject for a blue plaque.

52078744725_91d5a78163_z.jpg

Then into Leicestershire to stock up with beer from Britain’s only trappist brewery. The monk at the sales counter was a born hustler. ‘Buy those two dozen bottles in the smart wooden crate for £99 and you get 10% off every time you bring it back and refill it. The crate pays for itself in six refills!’ He tried flattery too. ‘Nice camera. Is it a Leica?’ Er, no, a Panasonic. He got me with his ‘postcard of the abbey? All proceeds go to support Ukraine’ though. Yes, OK.

52078253206_6df47009bb_z.jpg

This time I resisted temptation and came away with just a dozen. By now it was a beautiful afternoon and a walk was compulsory. My public footpath phone app showed me a three-mile circuit around the abbey. It looked lovely nestling in the greenery.

52078253101_4c63228537_z.jpg

When I got home I noticed the sudden burst of hot sun today had caused the corner of the rickety bird-box to split, causing a half-inch gap between front and side. The occupants were getting a taste of open plan living that they probably didn’t want, and worse, a dribble of moss and feathers was hanging from the bottom. I threw caution to the wind and pushed it back together again. Mum and Dad are still frantically feeding offspring, so I think I got away with interfering. When it gets dark I’ll stick a strip of tape on it to hold it together.

Last edited:
Another sodding eye test today, the last one was only about 8 months ago. My spectacles are not doing their job, so needs must.
Apparently I have an epi-retinal membrane in one eye, that isn’t bad enough to operate, and a cataract forming on the other eye… (had cataract done on right eye a couple of years ago)
Also the eye that is damaged is at a slant, so the image is offset and larger than the other eyes vision.
another £330 because I have executive lens, I cannot manage bi-focal things. Apparently not many people have the lens that suit me… Quelle surprise.

Meatballs on ratatouille covered in cheese today.

Not played a record yet. No idea what until it happens.

Day off from the flat today so I have spent the morning sorting out my coffee tins of assorted screws and my tool box.

Long, hot day in that there London. Went to quote for an office redecoration, which hopefully we’ll get. The tenant, a lovely guy, was extolling the virtues of the Scilly Islands. I quite fancy going when it’s finally just me and Mrs BB.

Cheers BB

Went to the Job Centre for a sick-leave benefit interview. Went well. I now know what next steps to take and that July will be for holidays.

I then went home to meet with a local real-estate agent to get a new appraisal of what our house is worth. Our aim is to live in our house until we are both carried out. This means that we have to have paid the mortgage down to a certain debt percentage at which time we will be eligible for a special loan type where we only pay in interest on the mortgage for the next 20-30 years or so. There will still be a handsome sum of money left for our daughters when we are no more.

As for food we eat mainly vegetarian dishes that I cook. We subscribe to a weekly delivery of easy to cook vegetarian meals (4 days). That has been very beneficial for me while I was down with depression. I still managed to cook and live.

I am slowly picking through my music room - throwing out empty boxes of all sizes, sorting books and teaching material, computer parts, diy hifi parts as well as music cds and tapes into different boxes. Along the way I throw out the things I will no longer need. I hope to clear space enough for one diy project at a time and space for two or three turntables at a time. I also want easy access to the hifi. For the first time in many years hifi will take over my study, turning it into a true hifi and project room.

Today was a nice warmish summer day at 23 degrees celcius with little wind.

I feel like my old self now that I am listening to Depeche Mode's album "Speak & Spell".

Went for a walk to the local lake. A horrible squawking noise turned out to be a heron, sitting very still and eyeing the new ducklings with nefarious intent.

Just as the tension became unbearable, two very bouncy dogs arrived with their owners and the heron flew off, squawking as it went.

Went for a walk to the local lake. A horrible squawking noise turned out to be a heron, sitting very still and eyeing the new ducklings with nefarious intent.

Just as the tension became unbearable, two very bouncy dogs arrived with their owners and the heron flew off, squawking as it went.
It’s been carnage here. Not just the heron, but also a cormorant. The duckelini don’t stand a chance. We’ll be lucky if any survive in our bit of the canal. But at least the swans turned up trumps with nine offspring

It’s been carnage here. Not just the heron, but also a cormorant. The duckelini don’t stand a chance. We’ll be lucky if any survive in our bit of the canal. But at least the swans turned up trumps with nine offspring

When I lived near Regents Park I was always very impressed at how ferociously a parent coot would go for any heron sniffing around. Brilliantly feisty birds - don't mess with a coot!

We call the coot fights handbags at dawn. They sit back and scratch with their feet. It’s like something outside a Crawley nightclub

Driving home from work with about 5 miles to go as I left the A46, the car started banging and rattling loudly from the rear nearside wheel arch area. Getting very worried, and driving very slow after a £500 clutch a week or so ago.

Got home and jacked it up. The top end of the rear left suspension was waggling around, not fixed to anything. A quick consult with Mr Haynes showed it looked pretty straightforward. 2 small bolts at the top, each holding a broken piece of top mount. Very rusty 15mm A/F bolt at the bottom. Liberal dose of WD40, wait and get a coffee... After 20 mins, and wire brushing the free end, came out very easily.

This is the remains of the top mount:

52080794881_e475757dbf_b.jpg

Trip to Eurocarparts in the morning, £18, in stock, sigh of relief!

Went for a blood test at the doctors’ surgery because I felt I should, and because I haven’t seen them for years.

The nurse tapped at the computer. “Oh,” she exclaimed. “We haven’t seen you for years! We had best give you a check-up!” She strapped on a blood pressure thingy and tried to make my arm explode. “It’s a bit high, we’ll come back to that.” “It’s because I hate exams and interrogations...” I tried to explain.

“We’ll measure your height and weight. Take your shoes off, please.”

“Good idea,” I said. “They would give me a fair bit of extra weight.”

“And height,” she added, rather unhelpfully I thought. “And that’s 173cm.”

“Oh. I thought I was 175cm.”

“Sorry about that. And 66.5kg.”

That was better. “Great, my scales said that this morning with no clothes on!”

“Win some, lose some,” she said. “Now, how much do you drink?”

I told her. She paused, and we both knew what was coming next.

“You know that the...”

“...yes, I do. I also know what I told you was correct, and you don’t have to double the figure I gave you like you do with most of your patients.”

She pursed her lips (poetic licence - we had masks on). “Let’s try your blood pressure again. Yes... that’s absolutely fine now.”

Honours even, I felt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back