advertisement

Buy a Budget Camera or Upgrade iPhone?

The main advantage of DSLR is having better control over the focal length, DOF and exposure. For serious photography, I'd pick my K-5 every time. But 99% of my photographic needs are hardly critical, and that's where my iPhone is perfectly fit-for-purpose. I suspect that is true for most people who want to take photos whilst they enjoy getting out and about, rather than taking good photographs as the primary purpose of being out and about.

If you want a M mount camera on a budget, don't forget the Voigtlander Bessa R series cameras with a Voigtlander VM M mount lens.

Voigtlander Bessa R body, grip and case for £500
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12511530...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Boxed Voigtlander 35/1.4 VM lens at £369
https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Voigtlander-35mm-f/1.4-Nokton-Classic-*Boxed*_334497.html

If your daughter gets into photography, these can stay as a second body to a Leica M later. The 35/1.4 Classic Voigtlander lens is pretty much as good as an older Leica 35/1.4 pre-aspherical summilux at a fraction of the price.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The main advantage of DSLR is having better control over the focal length, DOF and exposure. For serious photography, I'd pick my K-5 every time. But 99% of my photographic needs are hardly critical, and that's where my iPhone is perfectly fit-for-purpose. I suspect that is true for most people who want to take photos whilst they enjoy getting out and about, rather than taking good photographs as the primary purpose of being out and about.

The other advantage of.a DSLR is speed. By the time I've taken the phone out of my pocket to capture something in the moment, it's too late. With my DSLR (now mirrorless) on a wrist strap, I can take pictures very quickly.
Only the other day a large group of low flying swans flew directly over our heads, and I was able to take a few pics with my mirrorless. I'd have never been quick enough to do that with my phone.

The other advantage of.a DSLR is speed. By the time I've taken the phone out of my pocket to capture something in the moment, it's too late. With my DSLR (now mirrorless) on a wrist strap, I can take pictures very quickly.
Only the other day a large group of low flying swans flew directly over our heads, and I was able to take a few pics with my mirrorless. I'd have never been quick enough to do that with my phone.
That depends. I usually have my phone in my hand when I'm out and about, and I can activate the camera within a couple of seconds to take a photo. I'm quite a bit slower with a DSLR in a tote bag, having to take it out, secure the strap, remove the lens cap, turn the camera on and make sure I have the desired setting (I'm so lazy these days it's invariably on Program Mode).

It's also much harder to take a selfie with a DSLR. :D

To be honest, if I was in the position of choosing a suitable camera for a very young enthusiast I would probably plump for something like this rather than saddle them with my nostalgia:

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...V0Od3Ch21VQ4TEAQYAyABEgKMqfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

An Olympus PenLite E-PL7 body at £129; I would couple it with a pancake zoom for starters (from Oly or Panasonic - little to choose between them)

I have used one and they are amazing: small, light, easy to use and packed with features (including HD video and the ability to shoot selfies:) )

The kind of camera you can carry unobtrusively on a wrist strap with ease and be ready to shoot in no time flat.

There is also the option to add an eye-level viewfinder should you prefer ... and of course experiment with loads of lenses as skills allow (either native M4/3 or legacy via adapters)

For the kind of prices they are on offer for - what's not to like :)

Last edited:
If you want a M mount camera on a budget, don't forget the Voigtlander Bessa R series cameras with a Voigtlander VM M mount lens.

Voigtlander Bessa R body, grip and case for £500
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12511530...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Boxed Voigtlander 35/1.4 VM lens at £369
https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Voigtlander-35mm-f/1.4-Nokton-Classic-*Boxed*_334497.html

If your daughter gets into photography, these can stay as a second body to a Leica M later. The 35/1.4 Classic Voigtlander lens is pretty much as good as an older Leica 35/1.4 pre-aspherical summilux at a fraction of the price.
Holy crap! I have an R and had no idea it has appreciated so much! I think it cost me $300ish. Note, it is Leica screw mount only. Won’t fit an M lens. Nice bright viewfinder and has a meter. Quieter than an SLR but noisier than an M. A nice intro to film rangefinders but not sure it is worth the premium over a mint CLAd Pentax MX or equivalent (and Pentax lenses will be massively cheaper).

Frankly, I had just as much fun shooting with a Nikon V1. Completely silent, an excellent EVF, that was very pocketable. Only limited by the fact that I could not limit the DOF. But for street photography you are not so much looking to do that as capturing the moment.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
My main caveat about using a phone for photography is framing the image on the screen. In bright light I really struggle to see what I'm trying to take. I find it a point and hope experience. I much prefer a camera with a viewfinder.

Another thing to consider is any shutter lag. I presume that this is less of a problem with an iPhone than my inexpensive Motorola.

With most images, if the composition is that bad, retake it.
Zero shutter lag with my iPhone 12 Pro.
With the right setting, most smartphones take a series of images before and after the ‘shutter’ is activated. These can be selected during editing.

This thread has seriously wandered off the plot!

As per the OP and a couple of pertinent comments thus far, it really depends on what the wee lassy is expecting/hoping to achieve with camera.

Phone cams are superb, even on older refurbished models. My ancient S7 takes great shots under most normal conditions
BUT
Given low light, or some other difficult conditions a phone cam simply isn't up to job.(I plead ignorance on latest iPhones, which are not in the financial equation anyway)

If she's seen some of daddy's better pics and is aspiring to that, then a compact with some manual overide would be the job, again reconditioned or A1 2nd hand.

BUT
Given low light, or some other difficult conditions a phone cam simply isn't up to job.

Google Pixel 3a (Night Mode)

SRXgxan.jpg

I will say though - all these people were stood very still. If they had moved, it would have been blurry.

That depends. I usually have my phone in my hand when I'm out and about, and I can activate the camera within a couple of seconds to take a photo.

We'll probably have to agree to disagree on this one. With my camera on a wrist strap, I can take a photo in a split second, because my finger is always sat on the shutter button, and I keep my camera on at all times when out and about.

Photography's a great hobby, and it'd be good to fuel your daughter's enthusiasm whilst it's still alight. I reckon the advice to go with a good S/H Fuji, Nikon, Canon etc. that allows proper adjustments is the right choice. I second someone's suggestion of going to mbp, they are very good to deal with. That's if your dear daughter will accept second-hand of course...

advertisement

Back