advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

6 511 cases today, 141 deaths and 671 admissions.

The ONS found:
  • One in 45 people in England has Covid (down from one in 35 the previous week)
  • One in 35 in Wales has Covid (down from one in 25)
  • One in 55 in Northern Ireland has Covid (down from one in 40)
  • One in 35 in Scotland has Covid (down from one in 30)

BREAKING: The ECDC (European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control) has upgraded Omicron Sub Lineages BA.4 and BA. 5 to Variants of Concern from Variants of Interest, making it the first public health authority to do so.

The observed growth advantage of BA.4 and BA.5 is most likely due to their ability to evade immune protection induced by prior infection and/or vaccination, particularly if this has waned over time.

Despite the fact that the BA2 wave is still active, the ECDC predicts a summer wave for Europe.

BREAKING: ECDC upgrades Omicron Sublineages BA.4 and BA. 5 to Variants of Concern from Variants of Interest, making it the first public health authority | Medriva

BREAKING: The ECDC (European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control) has upgraded Omicron Sub Lineages BA.4 and BA. 5 to Variants of Concern from Variants of Interest, making it the first public health authority to do so.

The observed growth advantage of BA.4 and BA.5 is most likely due to their ability to evade immune protection induced by prior infection and/or vaccination, particularly if this has waned over time.

Despite the fact that the BA2 wave is still active, the ECDC predicts a summer wave for Europe. BA.4 and BA.5's observed growth advantage is most likely due to their ability to avoid prior infection and/or vaccination-induced immunity.

BREAKING: ECDC upgrades Omicron Sublineages BA.4 and BA. 5 to Variants of Concern from Variants of Interest, making it the first public health authority | Medriva

Well at least we in the UK are ready for it.... oh hang on, I thought it was done according to the lying sack of shit some call a PM and his bunch of merry pigs at the trough!

In all seriousness this could really bite us on the backside. The population has been conditioned to thinking it's all over and are behaving so, vaccine effectiveness is starting to wane and the chance of people taking to any re-implementation of interventions is likely to be around zero given the behaviour of the government in respect of the rules. Meanwhile the NHS is still struggling not that the media will report that of course.

Thanks for keeping this thread going and posting the stats, Gav. I find it very useful.

The death number seems to be higher than the case numbers would lead to (even accounting for lag). Is this due to the low amount of testing being done or are death numbers still falling in line with hospitalisations? The numbers still seem high to me and I hate to think what a new nasty variant would do to the UK since a chuck of the population are convinced this is all over.

Thanks for keeping this thread going and posting the stats, Gav. I find it very useful.

The death number seems to be higher than the case numbers would lead to (even accounting for lag). Is this due to the low amount of testing being done or are death numbers still falling in line with hospitalisations? The numbers still seem high to me and I hate to think what a new nasty variant would do to the UK since a chuck of the population are convinced this is all over.

In the US there have been 320 000 preventable deaths in the unvaccinated i.e deaths are double what they might have been. We're probably seeing a similar effect but on a smaller scale, certainly there is a rising background of deaths when the waves are taken away from the picture.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...twitter.com&utm_medium=social&t=1652765065882

I have some additional information for anyone else who has been registered as clinically vulnerable, that they might not be aware of.

I recently used the PCR test that I had been sent, as I had caught a cold and hence had some Covid symptoms. I sent the test in on a Thursday but did not get any feedback on the results for a few days. My symptoms reduced and as LFTs were negative and my wife, who had the same symptoms, had had 7 negative LFTs in 8 days, this gave me confidence that it was not Covid. I called the 119 number on the following Monday and was told that my test was negative and they apologised for the delay in getting back to me.

To get another PCR test I called them again and they said that the procedure had changed and that were not sending out PCR tests anymore, but were sending out batches of LFTs. With the advantage that you can conduct many tests and self register if it is positive. And the disadvantage that it is not as sensitive as a PCR and so you might identify Covid later than with PCR.

As before, within 24 hours of registering a positive test, a medical person should have got in contact and organised what would happen next in terms of antiviral drugs to reduce the severity of Covid.

From yesterday it is no longer mandatory to wear face coverings on public transport in France but nonetheless remains recommended.

I have some additional information for anyone else who has been registered as clinically vulnerable, that they might not be aware of.

I recently used the PCR test that I had been sent, as I had caught a cold and hence had some Covid symptoms. I sent the test in on a Thursday but did not get any feedback on the results for a few days. My symptoms reduced and as LFTs were negative and my wife, who had the same symptoms, had had 7 negative LFTs in 8 days, this gave me confidence that it was not Covid. I called the 119 number on the following Monday and was told that my test was negative and they apologised for the delay in getting back to me.

To get another PCR test I called them again and they said that the procedure had changed and that were not sending out PCR tests anymore, but were sending out batches of LFTs. With the advantage that you can conduct many tests and self register if it is positive. And the disadvantage that it is not as sensitive as a PCR and so you might identify Covid later than with PCR.

As before, within 24 hours of registering a positive test, a medical person should have got in contact and organised what would happen next in terms of antiviral drugs to reduce the severity of Covid.

What a mess!

As above. Thanks Gav, I also find this thread very useful.

My omicron infection was very mild with no breathing issues or fever but someone was telling me recently they had fever, shortness of breath and a cough. Did anyone else get this with this variant?

My omicron infection was very mild with no breathing issues or fever but someone was telling me recently they had fever, shortness of breath and a cough. Did anyone else get this with this variant?

My wife had a sore throat, headaches, tiredness, loss of appetite, and well as a distortion in her perception of foods. There was an occasional cough. No fever, or shortness of breath.

advertisement

Back