advertisement

Thatcher Statue

He led the miners to victory and thus helped to ensure a Tory defeat in 1974. Scargill led the miners to defeat and thus helped to ensure a Tory victory in 1987. Some might suspect that it was Scargill who was the MI5 agent.

I think it would be a good idea to put Thatcher’s statue on a low loader and tow it slowly around the country so that we all have a chance to throw something at it.

Denis Skinner (Twitter).

Surprised it hasn’t been milkshaked tbh.

His appropriately sarcastic/contemptuous comment when everyone else was clearing the chamber at each years Queen’s Speech was the highlight of a remarkably tedious and irrelevant elitist spectacle. IIRC he never attended the speech, which I respected a lot.

It's not the real Skinner, presumably he knows how to spell his own name. I'm not sure at 90 years old he has much time for trolling twitter.

I predict all manner of stuff will cover that statue before long, probably delivered via drone.

I was forced to go to London in the early 80s' for work as Liverpool as a whole was a wasteland for jobs, the difference was quite remarkable. I found myself each Monday morning at Lime Street station at 6am waiting to board what was nicknamed " The Tebbit Express " to go to work. We worked 12 hour days till Friday then got the 1pm return " Tebbit Express " back to our families, it was the only way to survive. Once in The Smoke, recession, what recession, Loadsamoney guys were everywhere, girls either wanted a loadsamoney boyfriend with their Porsches, some even wanted a bit of strange, namely all the guys not from London who were there to earn a crust, it was an eye opener.

If you were 35-60 in Liverpool then you never worked again, the P45 was your constant companion no matter what you tried to get a job. I was fortunate, I was 24 when I left home to support my family, Mum worked in p/t jobs to make ends meet but in reality we struggled for maybe 6-8 years, probably more in all honesty, Dad never worked again and he was only 56 at the time.

I recall one day when Thatcher was in Liverpool for something or other, Tate & Lyle had been closed down the same day, when asked how she thought about this she "spat back" in that vile "know your place" tone that she had, it was not her problem, she was there for a visit, she had no opinion, she said the market forces dictated it, she didn't care less. My city, amongst many others, was a wasteland to the Tories of the day, they wanted to grind us down & still probably do, know this though that memories are kept for a very long time by those who were let go.

For a taster of what it really was like then I suggest you get a nice comfy chair & watch in its' entirety "Boys from the Blackstuff" in one whole session. You may wonder 40 years later that surely it was not like that in any way, well I can tell you from my own experience that many many people lived that life, all due to a PM that was as cold as ice in emotion & thought the end result warranted the pain.

When she died my Dad danced like he had won the lottery, strip any man of his dignity, you create all the hatred you deserve.

I hope she is rotting in hell, I truly do.

I recall one day when Thatcher was in Liverpool for something or other, Tate & Lyle had been closed down the same day, when asked how she thought about this she "spat back" in that vile "know your place" tone that she had, it was not her problem, she was there for a visit, she had no opinion, she said the market forces dictated it, she didn't care less.

This is the sad legacy of Thatcher that we live with still. We still maintain a religious belief in the magic of markets, that the working of markets are mysterious beyond comprehension and best left to high priests to decide what is best for us all.

It’s a lie. Markets are not mysterious, they are driven by human desires, to understand them you just have to look at the desires of those in charge. Those in charge are not a priestly class blessed with divine insight into the inner workings of mysterious forces, they are normal human beings working from assumptions derived from political ideology. They have their scripture, but their beliefs are no more demonstrable than the tooth fairy.

For Thatcher to hide behind ‘the market’ when things go wrong is nothing more or less than guilt transference

I was forced to go to London in the early 80s' for work as Liverpool as a whole was a wasteland for jobs, the difference was quite remarkable. I found myself each Monday morning at Lime Street station at 6am waiting to board what was nicknamed " The Tebbit Express " to go to work. We worked 12 hour days till Friday then got the 1pm return " Tebbit Express " back to our families, it was the only way to survive. Once in The Smoke, recession, what recession, Loadsamoney guys were everywhere, girls either wanted a loadsamoney boyfriend with their Porsches, some even wanted a bit of strange, namely all the guys not from London who were there to earn a crust, it was an eye opener.

If you were 35-60 in Liverpool then you never worked again, the P45 was your constant companion no matter what you tried to get a job. I was fortunate, I was 24 when I left home to support my family, Mum worked in p/t jobs to make ends meet but in reality we struggled for maybe 6-8 years, probably more in all honesty, Dad never worked again and he was only 56 at the time.

I recall one day when Thatcher was in Liverpool for something or other, Tate & Lyle had been closed down the same day, when asked how she thought about this she "spat back" in that vile "know your place" tone that she had, it was not her problem, she was there for a visit, she had no opinion, she said the market forces dictated it, she didn't care less. My city, amongst many others, was a wasteland to the Tories of the day, they wanted to grind us down & still probably do, know this though that memories are kept for a very long time by those who were let go.

For a taster of what it really was like then I suggest you get a nice comfy chair & watch in its' entirety "Boys from the Blackstuff" in one whole session. You may wonder 40 years later that surely it was not like that in any way, well I can tell you from my own experience that many many people lived that life, all due to a PM that was as cold as ice in emotion & thought the end result warranted the pain.

When she died my Dad danced like he had won the lottery, strip any man of his dignity, you create all the hatred you deserve.

I hope she is rotting in hell, I truly do.

It was he same on Teeside with many folk moving away to find work including me and all my brothers. We had some world class industries on Teeside, including ICI, which were broken up and sold off to foreign companies. One of her strengths at the beginning was being underestimated by her largely male opponents. My Dad hated her like no other too.

advertisement

Back