Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Maggie Thatcher, Queen of Queens;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

The things that once made Britain Great have been sold off to lower your rates. The gas, the water, electricity too, the demand was there supplied by you. So now all things that made Britain fantastic, are owned by conglomerates across the Atlantic. And things we all by the state once owned, have been sold off, a nation pawned.

If they want to capture Thatcher’s true likeness, they should hire a talented Slovenian sculptor.

221-FA2-A9-F23-B-4-C57-B988-4496-A829-F757.jpg
That looks like something that I would do.

I'm cheered to read of the erection new statue of Margaret Thatcher in Grantham. Without this reminder of the history of our island I have no doubt her name would have soon faded from memory. And what a tragedy that would be.

It also seems to have provided a welcome boost in sales for local egg retailers. So win/win in my book.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...tham-egged-within-hours-of-it-being-installed

Is this the first time the words "erection" and "Thatcher" have ever been used in the same sentence?

If that is the only reason you think Thatcher was good then enjoy your house(s) & when the time comes to sell enjoy your profits no doubt.
She did win 3 Elections in a row if she was that bad then she should have been booted out

A Thatcher statue? You like dictators in t
She did win 3 Elections in a row if she was that bad then she should have been booted out
She was bad.
The question is, why on earth was she elected, and why did upper class Britain like that awful woman?
I have always wondered. Kinnock’s fault?
Enlighten me please.

She was bad.
The question is, why on earth was she elected, and why did upper class Britain like that awful woman?
Enlighten me please.
Truefully I can’t answer that, but spending many years in the construction industry nearly everyone I knew voted Tory, apart from the Irish navies

she was strong but wrong and the alternative of Foot and Kinnock twice was rejected by the electorate using our FPTP system.

She was bad.
Enlighten me please.

Partly. I've heard him speak, and 'Welsh windbag' was a fair description. But also: Falklands War, which went well, and helped ensure the Tories won in 1983; internal struggles within Labour; a tabloid press then as now always ready to print any old Tory-friendly lies; and Arthur Scargill, who with his cack-handed leadership of the miners' strike handed Thatcher a propaganda victory.

I’m not sure it matters much. It will be continually dripping with egg and paint, forever there like an interactive artwork with a traffic cone on it’s head.
It’s even got a horrid temporary fence around it to “protect it from vandalism”. Even the authorities that put it up are having to interact with it in ways that speak to the whole thing.
The more I think about it the more I’m in favour.

I didn’t but I did sell them at a very nice profit
Some individuals made money out of buying Council houses, but many more are living with the consequent housing crisis all these years later.

It should also be remembered that while some people might’ve profited from buying their council house, they are likely to lose their house, however gained, if they need residential care in old age.

Thatcher also deregulated the financial markets which again made a lot of money for a few individuals but led to a crash and long term austerity for most.

But perhaps her biggest achievement was convincing the electorate that government should not pay for public services and the bill for health, education and social security should instead be picked up by taxpayers.

Short term gain for a few and long term pain for the many is the legacy of Thatcherism

The miners lost because Kinnock and the TUC leadership failed to support them. The fools didn't realise that a defeat for the miners would be a huge defeat for the whole movement, one that we're still suffering from today. Around the time of Orgreave, with Thatcher facing battles with the teachers and local councils, she was very beatable. Only the NUR realy came out with any credit as an organisation as scabbing and the crossing of picket lines eventually became acceptable, to the extent that it is now the norm.

advertisement

Back