advertisement

Thatcher Statue

Cheers Maggie for giving me the chance to purchase my mothers and my council house
£300,000 for a statue of the most hated PM in modern history, what a waste of money. Be more than an egg I'd be throwing at it along with many thousands of others who suffered under that bitch.

I don’t agree, there are some really good ones, e.g. I like the fairly recent one of Emmiline Pankhurst in Manchester (Wikipedia). The other one that comes to mind is the Fourth Plinth at Trafalgar Square (Wikipedia) which has hosted some wonderful stuff over the years e.g. Marc Quinn’s statue of Alison Lapper. Statues really don’t need to be vile old Tory slave traders or military butchers, they can be relevant, even fun.

The fourth plinth was very rarely statues. In fact in all the twenty years I rode past it every day it was never a statue. I was sometimes fun.

I certainly didn’t suffer, purchased my council house and my parents ,under the right to buy , not bad for a ex hod carrier cheers Maggie

Cheers Maggie for giving me the chance to purchase my mothers and my council house

I remember the council house/flat purchase scheme but not the one to enable people to purchase their mothers. Passed me by completely but my mum was long gone before Maggie's reign.:)

They've put it on a 3m high plinth knowing full well someone will have a go.

I hope someone comes up with a really crafty/inventive fate for it. I hear thermite is really easy to make, apparently.

Poetic justice that when the knife was wielded, it was from among her own and she went mercifully ( for us) quick. Johnson is different- an amoral vacuum that buys off and blackmails away no confidence votes, brazens out police fines, lies to the public and our allies and doesn’t even show up for emergency COBRA meetings because he’s on the take for a book he has to finish.

Yes, what a darling she was eh?
My father in law remembers getting clobbered by a copper on a horse for being on a picket line during the miners strike.
He remembers her government with so much fondness.[ my brothers mate was a Policeman during the 84/85 strike , he took a brick to the head protecting working Notts miners, he remembers the pickets very well, saying that though he earned a fortune in overtime

Probably even more Tory now than when Thatcher was MP. 65% according to Wikipedia which also tells me the town is quite Labour but is heavily outvoted by the rural parts. Probably ought to have put the statue in a field somewhere.

Anyway leaving aside the hideousness of those depicted in statue form I'd like to draw attention to the innate hideousness of statues full stop.

Grim, goulish things mostly of improbably muscular chinless twats we've never heard of and don't want to hear about who lived when we all spoke Latin (apparently) . Ancient forgotten Rees Moggs made to look like seven foot Terminators. The whole lot of them ought long ago to have been reduced to hardcore or dumped in a national statue museum on the Isle of Man. Maybe replaced with some fun modern sculpture.

There’s a fabulous one just up the hill from where my work is based:

https://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/...-as-beautiful-annie-kenney-statue-is-unveiled

If they want to capture Thatcher’s true likeness, they should hire a talented Slovenian sculptor.

221-FA2-A9-F23-B-4-C57-B988-4496-A829-F757.jpg

If that is the only reason you think Thatcher was good then enjoy your house(s) & when the time comes to sell enjoy your profits no doubt.

advertisement

Back