advertisement

Jack Monroe to sue Lee Anderson

According to her blog, a lot of her books are donated to food banks to give away to patrons. So I wonder whether the Bookseller figures include or exclude those?

I don't think Jack Monroe is making anything like an 'absolute fortune'. On Apr 2, she posted on Twitter, referring to herself:

"If you bought your house before the dawn of the millennium, you have literally no idea about ‘the cost of living’ for my generation and beyond. Sincerely, a millennial whose rent, energy and council tax costs 94% of their monthly income."

It looks like Lee Anderson forgot to do his homework.

I'm starting to wonder if some celebrity net worth websites perhaps aren't 100% accurate.

DehkXG9.png

If their rent, council tax and energy bill are 94% of their income they're f-cked. Food, travel, clothing, various insurance and pension etc 6% of income.

I'm not buying that, not unless their other half is picking up the living costs or freeloading.

If their rent, council tax and energy bill are 94% of their income they're f-cked. Food, travel, clothing, various insurance and pension etc 6% of income.

I'm not buying that, not unless their other half is picking up the living costs or freeloading.
Yes, it doesn't add up unless your income and rent are enormous. On min wage you are on about 18k for 40 hours pw. Add in the odd but of OT and say 20k to make the arithmetic easy. £400 pw. Ignore the tax take. So there's £24 to cover food, travel, clothes, household durables. Nah. Even if you double that it's marginal. Her arithmetic is awry, just like knobhead the NO and his 30p a day food budget.
Then again as you suggest if there's a second income it works. My parents still talk about the 70s and one salary went on mortgage and utilities.

Exactly, another thin skinned po faced Wokee get's on his/her high horse, bravo, more time wasted in our courts, almost as much of a joke as Wagatha Christie.
Maybe research is not your friend. Criminal courts will not be tied up with this and time will not be wasted.

Last edited:
Then again as you suggest if there's a second income it works. My parents still talk about the 70s and one salary went on mortgage and utilities.

As women went increasingly into the workplace, wages fell in real terms for both men and women to compensate

It's really not impossible. Say she earns £20k gross, that's £17,200 after tax and NI.

94% of that would be around £16k in rent, CT and fuel. £12k, 2k, 2k respectively would do it.

At £25k gross, take home pay is £20,500 ish. 94% is £19,400. So £15,600 rent, £1,800 CT and £2k energy would do it.

Have you seen the rent on flats in Brighton where she lives?
Yes I can imagine, but if you only have one income then unless you are earning c. £50k a year after tax and paying out £47k in housing, leaving £3k a year (£60 pw) for food and everything else it can't add up. Nobody on that income level is shelling out £4k a month on rent, and certainly not JM.

Even if she is a zillionaire from writing food books, who gives a shit? When she came into the public eye she was very much one of the people her content is aimed at, how is it any fault of hers that well paid work came her way off the back of her recipes and shopping advice for poor people? What was she supposed to say, "no ta I'll enjoy staying poor thanks" ?

What she may have an issue with is how he has worded/implied it by saying she has got rich off the back of the poor like some sort of workhouse owner.

Tories really really don't like it when plebs do well for themselves, they fear it gives the rest of us grand ideas.

She might not like it, but implications aren't libelous as they don't form part of the statement. Jack won't win this one, sadly.

Say they earn 50k, 4% is 2k. They ain't getting buy on £166 a month. Travel, Internet, clothing, mobile phone to access twitter to make stupid claims.... no chance

advertisement

Back