advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

I would not disagree with anything that has been said in response to my post. Let's be clear, I love watches especially military-issued ones, chronographs, divers...well, pretty much all types including dress watches. My point is simply that virtually no one uses or need to use these expensive luxury watches for diving, mountain climbing or flying or whatever activity they were so-called designed for any more.

I certainly don't kid myself that they are anything more than a vanity item. I have them because I like their looks, the mechanical marvel that they are, or their history. They give me pleasure, I often just look at them on my wrist in admiration. But when I engage in a rough activity, I take them off. I don't need a watch. The phone will suffice. At most I'll strap on a Seiko SKX007 just because. So if someone suggests that I dive with my Seadweller, I'd say he's out of his mind...

Of course, but he careful where you say this, people may get a bit heated. Especially the j-word. So yes, you're absolutely right. I have an Alpinist on my wrist now, but it's going to the office. I wouldn't be shoving it in the rucksack while climbing, I've a cheaper one for those trips, and even that one doesn't get scraped up the climbs.

While I can see the point you make (and agree that it would indeed apply to a substantial proportion of owners), there is another angle. Those of us from a scientific/technical background tend to appreciate something nicely made and finished, something that, in a way, really shouldn't work as well as it should. I personally have always had a weakness for nicely-machined metal, and that even extends to the analytical equipment in the labs I sometimes frequent, and of couurse the watchmakers far surpass that. I personally would like to own a perpetual calendar, simply because I find it an astonising bit of mechanical wizardry (the prospect of having to sell an organ or two to finance it is what puts me off). So, even though a Lange or a Patek Philippe will forever be out of my reach, I enjoy the fact that such things exist and are sold, and that there are people who both can afford them and appreciate them for the mechanical marvels that they are.

With regard to "Rolex Sub or JLC", you know that the Rolex will take the beating, and that most JLCs won't. I bought my GMT-Master in 1975 (cost a whole 900 Swiss francs!), and it got regularly abused, and it took it all (apart from the plastic crystal, which tended to scratch). Ever since I found out how much the thing is now worth, when I am working on something (apart from writing boring patents), I swap it for a Citizen Nighthawk.

With regard to "Rolex Sub or JLC", you know that the Rolex will take the beating, and that most JLCs won't.
Quite true, but then the JLC will likely be built far more exquisitely than the Rolex. Hard to believe, given the current prices, but Rolexes are essentially tool watches (blingy variants for tacky oligarch types aside) whereas JLC is largely high horology.

Quite true, but then the JLC will likely be built far more exquisitely than the Rolex. Hard to believe, given the current prices, but Rolexes are essentially tool watches (blingy variants for tacky oligarch types aside) whereas JLC is largely high horology.
Of this, there is no doubt. Funny that JLC is never seen as being in the same league as the likes of Patek Philippe, to whom it has supplied movements in the past. Its Calibre 101 remains the smallest watch movement ever made, and its latest Reverso is a tour de force of mechanical brilliance. I find the Rolex prices hard to understand, and can't help wondering whether the whole thing will one day collapse, like the 17th century Dutch tulip craze.

Hmm.. found in the back of the drawer after >>20yrs of no use!

casiodw340_600px.jpg

I recall I bought this in 1995 to go diving with; then 2yrs later moved 1/2way across the world with small fam, so it was packed-up/ totally forgotten about...

- think I need now to chase down a replacement strap, some 19mm pins, and a battery. I might be some time.

Nice! Classic Casio.

Don't think it's difficult to do all that, EXCEPT that if you had left the battery inside all these years it might have leaked and damaged your circuit/movement. Then it's a big problem.

- think I need now to chase down a replacement strap, some 19mm pins, and a battery. I might be some time.

@hockman - as of today - the original battery extracted; intact, zero leaks! :D

It's a regular CR2016 coin cell, so will get another and see what happens. Meanwhile, some pins and a new strap have landed.

Enjoy it, Martin! I am all for getting old things working properly again. There is no shame in wearing a classic Casio. These days I am most happy enjoying my inexpensive old Seikos instead of rarer, more sought after, expensive watches.

Been wearing this pretty well nonstop now over the last few weeks
I prefer it on the silicone brand over the bracelet but I still keep swapping them over ,
Turns out all 600 have been sold now

Enjoy it, Martin! I am all for getting old things working properly again. There is no shame in wearing a classic Casio. These days I am most happy enjoying my inexpensive old Seikos instead of rarer, more sought after, expensive watches.

Ta-da! One battery, new silicone strap and after I discovered the 'AC reset' procedure... I have a useful watch again after 20-mumble years. It's quite comfy - perfect for weekend outdoor activities.

IMG_0182_600px.jpg

IMG_0181_600px.jpg

Tudor Black Bay 36. Had this a while now and I think it’ll be staying:

itmI8fK.jpg

Late to the party - but I'm really glad to know such things exist - HQ movement, classic case design - and - joy! - without a day/date complication!

TBH - I really, utterly hate the tedious uselessness of day/date on auto-mech watches, and v. esp the hideous ludicrous bubble in the glass it results in. Sadly it seems a default.

Late to the party - but I'm really glad to know such things exist - HQ movement, classic case design - and - joy! - without a day/date complication!

TBH - I really, utterly hate the tedious uselessness of day/date on auto-mech watches, and v. esp the hideous ludicrous bubble in the glass it results in. Sadly it seems a default.

I don’t hate it, I find it quite useful at work but it does often ruin the symmetry of the dial. I do prefer a time-only watch, unless the date is done in an interesting way eg. a perpetual calendar or triple date with pointer.

Last evening, after months & months, I finally got around to changing the battery in my DW5600E-G G-Shock. The battery retention clip is different to the older DW5600s I have; & despite a YouTube guide, a strong light, & a loupe it was a right bastard to release. I damaged the bit of plastic that held it in place. Grrrr! But it’s good to have what’s been my favourite work watch functioning again.

What I like most about the DW5600EG is the pale gold screen that, unlike the grey screens of the standard DW5600E, has no grain & much superior contrast & sharpness. I changed the bezel to one from a regular DW5600E because I don’t like the gold lettering on it.

My other favourite work watch is the solar powered G5600E which has a similarly easily read display, as well as a simple daylight saving adjustment.

Trivia: While the DW5600E is widely regarded as the descendant of the old classic DW5600C, its module relates much more closely to that of the original DW5000. The DW5600C’s real descendant is the G5600E.

I will agree on the magnifying bubble being ugly to my sensibilities. I do, however, always look for a date window, preferably in a non-3 o'clock position, 4, 6 and 12 all being pleasing to my eye. It is still my first reference for current date despite the PC and the phone clearly displaying the same.
Other complications I'm biased against but some designs do pass...

Curious to know if anyone has knowledge or experience of RSC Pilot Watches; https://rscwatches.com/

I am considering the purchase of a limited edition chronograph, "designed by Ronald Steffen", in support of an aircraft restoration group, and would be interested to know if anyone might have any insight into quality, reliability, and so on. Many thanks.

Cheers

Ta-da! One battery, new silicone strap and after I discovered the 'AC reset' procedure... I have a useful watch again after 20-mumble years. It's quite comfy - perfect for weekend outdoor activities.

IMG_0182_600px.jpg

IMG_0181_600px.jpg

Martin , Have you personally tested the 300M function :)

advertisement

Back