advertisement

Tannoy Gold 12” cab swop

effinity

pfm Member
Anyone seen this kind of diy cab for lsu 12” golds? Supposedly from Tannoy specs.

The hidden delights eh?

I was thinking of swooping the drivers into Lancaster cabs with fresh acoustic foam.

I have some 12” baffle plates to use.

Proof of pudding in the hearing comparison I suppose but any comments?

I will sell on possibly, however I do enjoy experimenting with the various components and maybe put something together that sounds really good.

0457880-D-64-B9-4-FA5-82-ED-2-AE15-CA3-FF32.jpg

To these or ?

C3-E32-B5-B-71-A1-47-FB-9-CF9-C92045-E8-FAB0.jpg

Last edited:
People like to slate them as being a bit poor but I disagree and quite like Lancaster cabs, plus they look cuddly :).
I improved mine a bit with a modest amount of 'dodo mat' self adhesive deadening sheets, added a side to side & front back shelf/brace and reinforced the rear panel, and I think this all made a worthwhile difference - they certainly perform better on the 'knock' test now (though are also quite a lot heavier which is not always convenient).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
People like to slate them as being a bit poor but I disagree and quite like Lancaster cabs, plus they look cuddly :).
I improved mine a bit with a modest amount of 'dodo mat' self adhesive deadening sheets, added a side to side & front back shelf/brace and reinforced the rear panel, and I think this all made a worthwhile difference - they certainly perform better on the 'knock' test now (though are also quite a lot heavier which is not always convenient).
Interesting thanks, Lancaster cabs remind me somewhat of Harbeth cabs when you refer to ‘knock’. Maybe Lancasters are Tannoys’BBC’ version of Harbeth, SHL5+ at least, the only ones I’ve owned.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Interesting thanks, Lancaster cabs remind me somewhat of Harbeth cabs when you refer to ‘knock’. Maybe Lancasters are Tannoys’BBC’ version of Harbeth, SHL5+ at least, the only ones I’ve owned.
Yeah that's why I didn't go ott on the deadening sheets, I didn't want to deaden the life out of them.

IIRC the ported Lancaster is tuned for the hard edge 12" and not the 12R. I'm sure I posted some sims a while ago showing a large bass hump around 50 hz....

IIRC the ported Lancaster is tuned for the hard edge 12" and not the 12R. I'm sure I posted some sims a while ago showing a large bass hump around 50 hz....

I followed your advice from some months back and partly blocked the ports to reduce it down to 85 x 76mm, which I think you said tunes the box to ~39hz. I had been

advertisement

Back