advertisement

HiFi Monitor Equivalent Guitar Amp

To the OP; I use a bass amp if I want to 'hear what the guitar is actually doing'. My home bass amp is an SWR Workingmans 12, 100W with a 12" + tweeter. Great for guitar pedal shootouts, like deciding which of 4 phaser pedals to keep... (spoiler, it was the Arion..)

Already mentioned but worth repeating in a different way. Electric guitars/pickups have a strong output in the midrange and a significant fall off in both bass and treble. Your typical guitar amp compensates for these by boosting both bass and treble. You don't want anything like a hifi amp that is "flat", as also mentioned. In addition, guitar amps add character by intentionally introducing distortion. A tube amp does this best which is why all the professionals use tube amps. A really "clean" amp has around 3-5% distortion and a nice "crunch" sounding amp can easily be at 15% distortion. Many of the power sections of these rube amps have some feedback, so the output from that section is fairly clean. Most of the distortion comes from the preamp part of the guitar amp - the small tubes. There are a number of inexpensive transistor amps out now which can simulate many of the classic guitar amp sounds. The Fender Mustang is an example. It's OK for practice (maybe) but you wouldn't want to play it in public - just doesn't have the presence of a real tube amp. Fender Princeton has been mentioned in previous posts because it's one of the real classic sounds. Doesn't have to be a genuine "original" from 1965, either - the brand new ones also sound great.

All interesting reading a videos to view.
In the end I've gone for a Fender Deluxe Reverb as GuitarGuitar have them available shortly and have a decent policy on returns.
Andertons allows you to do a click and collect which allows you to hear them but some amps have unknown availability.
My recently ordered Strat has gone from November this year to November next year...

I've now watched loads of guitar and amp reviews.
I'd no idea how many descriptive words or expressions are required to described different guitar tones aka how they sound regardless of the effects being used. It seems to be a different dialect to that used in the world of HiFi with particular emphasis on the mid-range.

Re; A "clean hi-fi sound".

I remember using my proud Dad's Panasonic Music Centre to play my truly awful "Kay" electric guitar through. By cleverly plugging the guitar jack into a 3.5mm adaptor/reducer, then into the "mic" input on the music centre's cassette tape deck, the pressing the "record" button down, then pressing the "monitor" button in, we could get the music centre to amplify the guitar through the speakers. Result!

The sound was clean...too clean given the crappiness of the guitar, so whacked up the "recording level" on the cassette deck to get a bit of "overdrive" and promptly blew something inside the amp. A hasty disassembly of the rig and a retreat to the bedroom before the old man got home from work. I never did tell him how his music centre got broken.

Another "fix" for not having a guitar amp was removing the wires from a turntable cartridge and sellotaping them to the guitar lead's jack plug. That worked for a wee while too...

advertisement

Back