advertisement

Lots of joy with modest system.

In the late '90s I had a fairly high end system - dpa 24 bit transport and reference DAC for CD, Garrard 401 tt, varied expensive amplification and a lovely pair of Merlin VSM speakers. Today I have a modest system: Rega Planar 3, Rotel 965BX discrete CD player or a little old Macbook and tone board for digital, all through a little passive pre-amp to a Quad 240 into some home built speakers.
I can honestly say my current set up gives me just as much pleasure - although it's not so nice to look at!

I started with an MF B1 with planar 2, Nad CD player and Wharfedale speakers. Since then, I’ve been through Naim, Nad etc. I can honestly say my Yammy with it’s vintage companions is the best sounding system I’ve had so far. Love it.

Would be interested to know if it improves the sound a little bit? Of course bell wire er...and music centre speakers might make it difficult? But small victories can turn big sometimes lol
The friend will probably notice the difference between the freebie interconnect and the Sonic Link Silver Pink if there is one. She immediately heard the difference between the Canary 601 and the MFA Classic despite those music centre speakers with captive bell wire.

I’ve been playing music for about five hours today.. My system if bought new would be a modest £25kish. The highlight was Neil Young’s Cortez the Killer played through the standard kit in my Citroen Picasso. It could have been something else through the expensive kit. The pricey stuff does lots of good things but it is essentially not essential for enjoyment. Over time, it even makes it more accessible for less and less peanuts :)

I agree wholeheartedly that a modest, well-put together system can sound very enjoyable and should suffice for most purposes.

But I also believe that a well-put together high end system can sound much superior because it conveys the intent and music in a way that the modest system misses. I can hear greater complexity and subtleties in the musicians' playing.

Although I've had some lovely equipment over the years, the best bang for buck system I've owned was;
Manticore Mantra/Rega 250/ATF5stilton
Marantz CD75
Inca Tech Claymore
Gale 302s

Certainly not real "budget" class but a whopping and very pleasing improvement over the true budget system preceding it.
Upgraditis thereafter was a more gradual affair.

A current secondary system and with zero care given to placement, it's just shoved in out of the way places, barely visible in fact...is;

Chromecast Audio
Teac AH300
Mission (model?) tiddlers
Incredibly good!

The (mostly my) "cast-offs" system one of my fiends uses is actually quite fun to listen to especially as she tends to turn up the volume. I had another listen when I dropped in to replace the failing Canary Audio 601 pre with an MFA Classic.

smallish unbranded music centre speakers with captive bell wire
Music First Audio Classic TVC
Avondale stereo power amp
Samsung BLURAY player
freebie interconnects

It's not hard to spot the odd one out in that list! A £3000 passive used with speakers from a music centre system :eek:

I agree wholeheartedly that a modest, well-put together system can sound very enjoyable and should suffice for most purposes.

But I also believe that a well-put together high end system can sound much superior because it conveys the intent and music in a way that the modest system misses. I can hear greater complexity and subtleties in the musicians' playing.
Me too...

Although I've had some lovely equipment over the years, the best bang for buck system I've owned was;
Manticore Mantra/Rega 250/ATF5stilton
Marantz CD75
Inca Tech Claymore
Gale 302s

Certainly not real "budget" class but a whopping and very pleasing improvement over the true budget system preceding it.
Upgraditis thereafter was a more gradual affair.

A current secondary system and with zero care given to placement, it's just shoved in out of the way places, barely visible in fact...is;

Chromecast Audio
Teac AH300
Mission (model?) tiddlers
Incredibly good!
Incredibly good compared to what? Binatone clock radio? Sanyo midi system?

It's not hard to spot the odd one out in that list! A £3000 passive used with speakers from a music centre system :eek:

The MFA Classic (ex dem mk1 copper model) cost me £1100 twelve or more years ago. Currently, it's difficult or impossible to sell on the French market (practically unknown). Similar remark concerning my Canary 601 valve pre it replaced in my friend's system. Apart from the application of some contact cleaner if left unused for more than a year, it is completely maintenance-free so ideal in my friend's rural location.

The Avondale build in a NAP180 chassis cost me less and is older.

The BLURAY player was purchased with the discount voucher I got when I bought a laptop around 2010 - yes, cheap and clad in plastic.

As for the speakers... anybody's guess. Some day something decent will turn up cheap on leboncoin (a site that makes eBay look extremely opulent) near her place.

The point is: it's a system of cast-offs and it provides enjoyment of music form her CDs and the headphone jack of visiting smartphones.
It cost her nothing and cleared out some excess equipment I couldn't be bothered with selling - I have come to detest all the cheapskate haggling, low-ball offers, stupid swap suggestions...
It's much more satisfying to give the kit to someone who enjoys it on a daily basis than to sell it to some skinflint miser who's convinced he's ripped you off.

Got a great little set up in the bedroom. All bought second hand and owned for many many years. Sounds superb.
Marantz cd63ki, Pioneer A400, Royd minstrels. Interconnect is an Ixos - free with a magazine sub 20+ years ago. Cable is budget gale from Richer sounds.
All 20 - 25 years old. Still on the go weekly.
Was probably quite expensive new I suppose way back in the day.

Last edited:
Got a great little set up in the bedroom. All bought second hand and owned for many many years. Sounds superb.
Marantz cd63ki, Pioneer A400, Royd minstrels. Interconnect is an Ixos - free with a magazine sub 20+ years ago. Cable is budget gale from Richard sounds.
All 20 - 25 years old. Still on the go weekly.
Was probably quite expensive new I suppose way back in the day.
Richard Sounds.Is that the same as Super Si?

I’ve been playing music for about five hours today.. My system if bought new would be a modest £25kish. The highlight was Neil Young’s Cortez the Killer played through the standard kit in my Citroen Picasso. It could have been something else through the expensive kit. The pricey stuff does lots of good things but it is essentially not essential for enjoyment. Over time, it even makes it more accessible for less and less peanuts :)

Some music just works better in the car. Some not at all. Probably a driving distraction, atmosphere, background noise thing as much as an equipment thing. I like loud opera driving down dark tree lined country roads but tire of it quite fast indoors.

Some music just works better in the car. Some not at all. Probably a driving distraction, atmosphere, background noise thing as much as an equipment thing. I like loud opera driving down dark tree lined country roads but tire of it quite fast indoors.
I’m also surprised how good the reproduction is, even in quite humble cars. Very small room I suppose…

I’m probably imagining this, but since altering my rack order, the vinyl sound appears to have improved. Must be imagining it. Do not succumb Del!

advertisement

Back