advertisement

Raspberry Pi Advice

With regards to OS, one of my best friends is a Computer Programmer and says he uses Raspberry Pi’s himself, although not for streaming. He’ll help me, just a matter of picking the best one for me.

Cheers BB

Sorry Ronnie as I say i have only ever used this distro with a full Licence what are the nag screens ?

Just the constant reminders that one is not registered, try it and see.
All together I find the M2P pages too busy, but that's just me ;)

I was an early adopter and paid for a licence (which I still have, apparently)

These days I mostly use the Raspberry Pi OS and install what I want on the top of that :)

ronnie

One little tip with wifi is the channel config.

If the router or access point is set to "auto" (which is the default) then it can/will change the channel it broadcasts on every so often... which means any devices on that channel need to renegotiate to that channel and hence can cause drop outs.

The auto ranging is done so the router will do a quick scan for what channels have the least interference/load and keep evaluating that.

Now this is an ok strategy if you are say in a NY hi-rise but in less congested areas it probably pays to hard code it.

Less congested means maybe less than 16 or so visible wifi devices when browsing for a SSID (as seen via your OS network manager)... remembering that even if you see more than 16 only your immediate neighbours will have high broadcast strength (aka interference strength)...so it can still pay to experiment with hard coding a channel even with a high count.

This will give you a more stable signal and given almost everyone else will be set to auto, they will generally avoid your channel cause it will be deemed to be busy.

Peter

Just to update this thread, after waiting for a few weeks for a Pi, I set it up yesterday. After a lot of research I thought Volumio would be best for me and decided on Qobuz for my streaming supplier. I had a good mate of mine here, who’s a software engineer, to be honest I could have done it on my own but it was reassuring having him there. Pi runs into a Topping D10s for Spidf conversion and then into the DAC in my Rotel RA1570.

No critical listening as yet but I enjoyed an hour of low level listening late last night.

Cheers BB

Thanks for the update. Not surprised you managed to set up Volumio yourself - the interface is really user-friendly, isn't it?

I’m not completely comfortable with it yet, I’ve been a Spotify user for years. Finding it a bit like when I switched from Android to Apple phone. I’ll get there though. I don’t change my system very often so it’s nice having something new to play with.

Cheers BB

I’m not completely comfortable with it yet, I’ve been a Spotify user for years. Finding it a bit like when I switched from Android to Apple phone. I’ll get there though. I don’t change my system very often so it’s nice having something new to play with.

Cheers BB
There’s an obvious difference between the compressed Spotify and Qobuz. You should enjoy the experience.

Mrs BB and the kids are all out, I’m just listening to Hunky Dory before I go and paint the fence. I’ve always thought Spotify sounded decent on my system but Qobuz is definitely a step up.

It’s such a shame that Spotify have strung its listeners out with murmurings of CD quality. I wish I’d made this switch years ago.

Cheers BB

advertisement

Back