advertisement

Now in the small room after finally buying the rug and the armchair and installing the acoustic treatment.
IMG-7771.jpg
When are the GIK Soffits arriving? ;)

On a serious note, will you be treating the upper corners of the room? That's the ideal place for bass trapping without losing useable living space.

When are the GIK Soffits arriving? ;) On a serious note, will you be treating the upper corners of the room? That's the ideal place for bass trapping without losing useable living space.
I have two bass traps behind my listening space (see added photos) and I also EQ the bass.;)

Now in the small room after finally buying the rug and the armchair and installing the acoustic treatment.
IMG-7771.jpg

ace rug action
prefer the television with the throw over it.

purposeful.

that window with no curtains…. now a nice white paper corrugated blind would look tres chic in contrast to the white sound diffusers either side… blocks & lines and lines and lines & blocks.

Loving the new Solidsteel SS7 speaker stands! Wasn't sure how the sig other would feel about the raw finish, but she digs it. Success!

Oh yes...sonics-wise, they are a better match for my speakers than the heavyweight stands used previously.

gi.mpl

gi.mpl
Why did you go for the SS7s? Your speakers look bigger than my P3ESRs but I found the SS6 to be the correct height. Even then, I requested the SS5 top-plates since they are exactly the same width as the P3s and just the tiniest bit deeper:

F1-D4-C878-801-E-4-D39-94-A2-9-F3-A9-AB19-FF8.jpg" alt="F1-D4-C878-801-E-4-D39-94-A2-9-F3-A9-AB19-FF8

64562429-0-B8-D-4938-A30-F-456-D9651-DFBC.jpg" alt="64562429-0-B8-D-4938-A30-F-456-D9651-DFBC

Mine are also now filled with a lead shot/Atabite mix. Filling SS6s is a slow process since they fill via the M8 spike holes. They do sound great and look very smart in the raw finish.

Why did you go for the SS7s? Your speakers look bigger than my P3ESRs but I found the SS6 to be the correct height. Even then, I requested the SS5 top-plates since they are exactly the same width as the P3s and just the tiniest bit deeper:

F1-D4-C878-801-E-4-D39-94-A2-9-F3-A9-AB19-FF8.jpg" alt="F1-D4-C878-801-E-4-D39-94-A2-9-F3-A9-AB19-FF8

64562429-0-B8-D-4938-A30-F-456-D9651-DFBC.jpg" alt="64562429-0-B8-D-4938-A30-F-456-D9651-DFBC

My previous speaker stands for the same speakers were 24" tall and I had to slouch down a bit to "align my axis" lol! The 28" SS7 is a better height for me in my room.

Visited some old friends over on the Wirral yesterday:

52065691231_54cfa9d5dd_b.jpg

Here’s my old Xerxes. It’s actually still working really well, the top-plate sag hasn’t increased from how I remember 25 or so years ago when I sold it and it was sounding good with Naim amps and bizarre Roksan Darius speakers in their full scaffolding stands.

52065928609_b50c77ba99_b.jpg

My old LP12/Zeta! The PSU has been swapped to a Lingo (I had a DIY Armageddon built by the sadly missed Jason Hector).

They need current, current and then some more current. The Osiris is a bit weedy to get the bass/passive combo moving, stopping then moving again. DV amps (if you can get hold of one) and Plinius work well. They also need a bloody big, tall room.

I kind of already knew this, so the surprise was more that the Osiris wasn't up to the job than it was the Obelisks are current hungry. That doesn't lessen my naiveté any less! I also guess I still don't quite know how to identify the difference between watts and current; I know watts is work done and amps is the volume of electrrons flowing and the voltage determines the force with which those electrons flow. I still don't get how a measure of an amps Wattage capability transcribes to its ability to drive a speaker.

I kind of already knew this, so the surprise was more that the Osiris wasn't up to the job than it was the Obelisks are current hungry. That doesn't lessen my naiveté any less! I also guess I still don't quite know how to identify the difference between watts and current; I know watts is work done and amps is the volume of electrrons flowing and the voltage determines the force with which those electrons flow. I still don't get how a measure of an amps Wattage capability transcribes to its ability to drive a speaker.

Current delivery comes into play more when the speaker has low impedance. Impedance varies over frequency. I believe the Obelisks drop very low at certain frequencies which will demand more current from your amp for a given volume.

Here’s my old Xerxes. It’s actually still working really well, the top-plate sag hasn’t increased from how I remember 25 or so years ago when I sold it and it was sounding good with Naim amps and bizarre Roksan Darius speakers in their full scaffolding stands.

... and the times you've slagged that poor Xerxes off!!

advertisement

Back