advertisement

Sound proofing. Deading sound.

justshoemark

pfm Member
Hi all.
Just wondering the best way to try and deaden the sound into my daughters room.
Her bedroom is behide the wall my speakers are on. There are Linn isobairks.
The reason for this is it keeps her awake at night when I have the music on. And it's not that loud.
What would be the best way to help with this?
Many thanks

Don't think of the wall first - that approach will be expensive, and the changes you can achieve are likely to be ...marginal (only 3-5dB improvement likely; I can expand on exactly why later, if you like)

The very cheapest and likely-most-effective route to try to improve first is not the wall, but the 'in-air' path. How closely-fitted are the the two doors between where you listen, and your daughter's bedroom; especially - what is the gap under them, in mm..? The perimeter and, especially, the threshold gap is usually the largest 'hole' - so that gap likely dominates in terms of nuisance.

The place to start, then, is with fitting a perimeter seal to one or both of the doorways, like Lorient batwing seal LAS1010(e.g. https://www.lorientuk.com/products/batwing ) - these come on a roll, cut with scissors, self adhesive - and are both cheap and effective! (e.g. https://www.firewise.co.uk/acoustic...e-Acoustic-Smoke-Seals/Double-Batwing-LAS1010) - as you can see, it'd be around £15 /door to try. If the threshold gap is large, there are ways to treat that too, and I would.

HTH.

Hi there.
Thank you for your reply.
There is only one door between as our house is open plan. So I have two openings in the main room where the hifi is.
Would I be best to have some screens between the openings.
Many thanks

Ah, that's useful to know. You do have a problem then, because the 'in -air' path will always dominate.

Treat the one door between first. Such a layout makes the gaps around it the weak point; and that door itself is the next limiting item (is it light, i.e. hollow - or a solid-core/ solid wooden door - and how thick, in mm ..?)

In comparison with these aspects - 'screens' won't achieve a thing.

PS - in case it is relevant - my background in this is as an architect who has delivered projects that include music/recording spaces, inc. studio spec stuff for the beeb.
That doesn't make me 'right' or any authority; just someone with a v good handle on VFM approaches to such issues : ) There is at least one professional acoustician amongst the pfm regulars, too, and also - a useful wide variety of experience; any of whom might also make good suggestions here. HTH.

My suggestion would be to attack the problem from a different angle. Buy some speakers that sound good at low volumes. Quad electrostatics are known to be good at this.

Bass will travel through plaster walls and timber floors as easily as it does through doors.

Unless you hire professional services you will be wasting money. I agree with @Wolfmancatsup 's suggestion of using heaphones when your daughter is in bed.

Try contacting https://gikacoustics.co.uk or some retailer which also provides design guidance.

Decent ear plugs for the daughter. I sleep wearing them when I have to, no problem.

Try one of the different types made by Bilsom. They even produce a type that are akin to cotton-wool if she finds other uncomfortable.

My suggestion would be to attack the problem from a different angle. Buy some speakers that sound good at low volumes. Quad electrostatics are known to be good at this.
This is why I switched from Royd's Albion to their RR3. Most of my listening was done at lower volumes, often in the middle of the night. The RR3 excels in that regard, whereas the Albion needed a fair bit of wick to come alive.

advertisement

Back