advertisement

KEF LS60 - real or hoax?

Component manufacturers don’t produce new amp boards, DAC or DSP chips every year and immediately cease production of the older components. And speaker manufacturers like Dutch & Dutch and Kii select components based on their planned production lifespan and guarantees of availability, as well as performance and cost.

I am not sure about Kii, but all of the electronics inside the Dutch & Dutch 8c are housed within a tray at the base of the speaker. The entire electronics module can be replaced using a single hex key in just a few minutes. That makes them super easy to repair in the even of a failure. It also means that Dutch & Dutch could supply new and improved electronics in future, if they wanted. Right now though, the existing electronics have plenty of life in them.

If a drive unit fails in a conventional speaker in 20 years time, it can be simply replaced with the same or an equivalent type. A chip dies on a typical digital circuit board 20 years after production ... Oh dear, it hasn't been produced for years and, given that it has become obsolete, there is no equivalent replacement available.

In my opinion, the best place for digital components is in DACs and processors, which are continually being developed and, now, can be had for comparatively little money.

Well I hope the app is a LOT better than the one for the active LS50’s & LSX’s. It’s way too rudimentary to use with a premium product.

Well I hope the app is a LOT better than the one for the active LS50’s & LSX’s. It’s way too rudimentary to use with a premium product.

The KEF Connect app that accompanies the LS50 Wireless II and presumably the upcoming LS60 Wireless is a nice step on from the KEF Control and KEF Stream apps.

KC62 technology bass inherently has to be active.
(And it's capable of much better performance the Kii3s and probably 8Cs).

I could live with active bass. :D

But looking at the image I was thinking it might be an affordable Blade.

img-clp-bld-stn01-pdts01.png

The tech behind the KC62 compensates for drive unit non-linearies, including parameter shifts due to temperature etc. and removes the effect of the box from the equation.
I gives measureably superior transient response to DSP alone.

The tech behind the KC62 compensates for drive unit non-linearies, including parameter shifts due to temperature etc. and removes the effect of the box from the equation.
I gives measureably superior transient response to DSP alone.

Feedback? Or pre- distortion with a look up table? Do you have details?

Feedback? Or pre- distortion with a look up table? Do you have details?

Sorry I cannot disclose any info on the technique.
I have been running the analogue pre-cursor to this technology for about 10 years. IMO the excellent measured performance correlates very well with better sound.

When I had Kii3s here, I was initially very disappointed with the sound, after warm-up they sounded a lot better, particularly at LF. Still wouldn't swap my system for Kii3s though.

Cheaper than D&D for the top model in the series?

It looks like the standmount and the smaller of the two floorstanders at least should cost less. I'll share the prices as soon as I have confirmation on all three passive and DSP active wireless models.

advertisement

Back