advertisement

Onix OA24 switches

contarex56

I ve got the info by Onix about it. But I really do not understand. I mainly use for MC Dynavector ruby karat and for MM Ortofon m20fl super.
Could you tell me about the use of the switches.

For the MM Ortofon M20FL Super, that apparently likes a load resistance of 47k Ohms, which can be set by switching OFF dil switches 1-4.

For your Dynavector Ruby Karat, that apparently likes a load resistance of 40 Ohms. The lowest match on the OA24 seems to be 60 Ohms, achieved by dil Switches 5-8 ON. However, I don't this is an exact science and many other parameters come into play. You might therefore find that the other MM or MC dil switch setting match your cartridge / ears better, so feel free to experiment.

For the MM Ortofon M20FL Super, that apparently likes a load resistance of 47k Ohms, which can be set by switching OFF dil switches 1-4.

For your Dynavector Ruby Karat, that apparently likes a load resistance of 40 Ohms. The lowest match on the OA24 seems to be 60 Ohms, achieved by dil Switches 5-8 ON. However, I don't this is an exact science and many other parameters come into play. You might therefore find that the other MM or MC dil switch setting match your cartridge / ears better, so feel free to experiment.
I have difficulties to understand the difference between 5/8 and 5-8. And when switches 1 and for , does it mean setting 1 and 3 on ?I know most important is the main switch to choose MM or MC but when it comes to the 1 to 8 switches it gets complicated ...

In addition to Stuart's comment re M20FL Super loading resistance above, with this being a moving magnet 'MM' type cartridge (actually 'IM' or induced magnet, also called moving iron 'MI'), then loading capacitance need be considered as well.

Ortofon recommended 400pF capacitance and in order to help achieve such they included an accessory called CAP-210 that fit over the cartridge pins for use into modern phono inputs that had typically become 100 to 200pF by the end of the 1970s. If you happen to have the original CAP-210 fitted then suggest you try SW1 on (2/3/4 off) = 47k//100pF, therefore a total of 310 plus tonearm wiring capacitance; the latter usually circa 100pF and therefore giving the closest to Ortofon's 400pF recommendation.

On the other hand, sans CAP-210 you may find SW1/3 on (2/4 off) = 47k//220pF (plus tonearm wiring) to give optimum performance.

I have difficulties to understand the difference between 5/8 and 5-8. And when switches 1 and for , does it mean setting 1 and 3 on ?I know most important is the main switch to choose MM or MC but when it comes to the 1 to 8 switches it gets complicated ...
Switches 5 through 8 are for optimizing moving coil type cartridges and have no affect upon MM types.

Conversely, switches 1 through 4 are for optimizing moving magnet type cartridges (including your IM/MI Ortofon) and have no affect upon MC types.

The nice thing about having these two sets of loading switches is that you can have the amp optimized for each of your two phono cartridges without having to change switches each time you change cartridges.

5/8 would be 5 and 8 vs. 5-8 meaning 5 through 8.

In conclusion,
For your Ortofon (as starting point of ref):
If CAP-210 present = 1 on, 2-4 off = 47k//310pF plus tonearm wiring = circa 400pF
If no CAP-210 present = 1/3 on, 2/4 off = 47k//220pF plus tonearm wiring = circa 320pF

For your Dynavector (as starting point of ref):
5-8 on (5 through 8 on) = 60 Ohms

‘Switches 5/8 ON’ means you need to switch on switch numbers 5 and 8 only.

‘Switches 5-8 ON’ means you need to switch on switches numbers 5, 6, 7 and 8.

Switches 5 through 8 are for optimizing moving coil type cartridges and have no affect upon MM types.

Conversely, switches 1 through 4 are for optimizing moving magnet type cartridges (including your IM/MI Ortofon) and have no affect upon MC types.

The nice thing about having these two sets of loading switches is that you can have the amp optimized for each of your two phono cartridges without having to change switches each time you change cartridges.

5/8 would be 5 and 8 vs. 5-8 meaning 5 through 8.

In conclusion,
For your Ortofon (as starting point of ref):
If CAP-210 present = 1 on, 2-4 off = 47k//310pF plus tonearm wiring = circa 400pF
If no CAP-210 present = 1/3 on, 2/4 off = 47k//220pF plus tonearm wiring = circa 320pF

For your Dynavector (as starting point of ref):
5-8 on (5 through 8 on) = 60 Ohms

Yes with the Ortofon 1 on and 2-3-4 off is ok Thanks

Each and every time I watch a thread with "Onix" in headline, I am thinking of the crazy crook in audio, which deliberately screwed so many people in here for there money.(myself included)

I hope seagulls shit on him.

Each and every time I watch a thread with "Onix" in headline, I am thinking of the crazy crook in audio, which deliberately screwed so many people in here for there money.(myself included)

I hope seagulls shit on him.
Regardless the origins, just look at the lovely layout within this, you can clearly see what the banks of DIP switches do by following the tracks, with the MM vs. MC slide switches visible up the high street there...

oa-24-3-onix.jpg

advertisement

Back