advertisement

Line level preamplifier suggestions

Firstly, I would suggest you decide on what technology you prefer Valve/Tube or Solid state. Then select from a short list of each as the two technologies will sound completely different.

If you are looking at pre-amps like the LS28 then don't expect the Mola Mola to even get close...

I've only ever had one preamp and that has been a valve preamplifier so am very comfortable with the sound. However I've tried to keep an open mind in terms of ss, after all lots of systems run them and I assume the owners are happy.
There's an ex display LS28se here:

https://www.hificorner.co.uk/shop/outlet-save/audio research ls28se line-stage pre amplifier (ex display).html

The Mola Mola Makua is optimally to be considered with its optional digital module as a pre/streamer/DAC, at which point it competes against a dCs Bartok. Completely different to an AR Pre product as Graham has highlighted.

The ex dem one is still £9k so way over budget

Good call. Again, only ever heard good things.

did i hear you say ?

I don't want something from a very 'niche' outfit !!!

Oh, I didn't realise it was a niche brand. There are plenty of online reviews and often features in articles about best preamps.... which led me to believe it was more mainstream. They also have a number of authorised dealers whereas "niche" products often have no reviews, their reputation is usually from forum word of mouth.

But you're right, it's not exactly a mainstream brand!

I've only ever had one preamp and that has been a valve preamplifier so am very comfortable with the sound. However I've tried to keep an open mind in terms of ss, after all lots of systems run them and I assume the owners are happy.

The ex dem one is still £9k so way over budget!

It's £8k. In your post upthread you were asking about a Mola Mola Makua, which is £10k, so I thought you'd upped your budget. I did warn you right at the start that meaningfully upgrading your pre is going to be spendy!

If you want to stick to your budget and want a change, then definitely consider GTs offering. These are well made and designed products from an established outfit; only a small company but much more than a fleeting forum favourite.

You won't be able to hear "distortion" in modern electronics such are the low measured levels involved, so the wrong use of the word in your post. If you think "it doesn't really get any better" using Benchmark products then you really need to get out and explore some proper Hi-Fi...

I think it's pretty clear that I wasn't stating a universal endorsement for Benchmark kit - most Benchmark components I've owned or heard have been subjectively good, but not outstanding. But for me, after extensive exploration (thank you), the LA4/HPA4 is exceptional. Just as transparent as the best TVC amps around, but with near-universal source/power amp electrical compatibility.

I'd encourage the OP to arrange a home demonstration (available from any number of UK dealers) and pitch the Benchmark against the ARC as well as anything else on the shortlist.

Pre/DAC/ tuner & phono stage in one box, paid £185 for a used Emotiva pre on here. Bested a £400 pre and a £200 DAC. Have had a few Supratek pres that killed anything else I've ever heard (a broken one in the cupboard). Do I feel short changed, no way. Maybe solid state into my valve amps and missing a few degrees of the Suprateks but way less valves to worry about and loving my music so no more Esoteric pres for me. The phono stage is mediocre at best but handy for a second table, never use the tuner but the pre and DAC are outstanding sound wise, let alone VFM.

Pre/DAC/ tuner & phono stage in one box, paid £185 for a used Emotiva pre on here. Bested a £400 pre and a £200 DAC. Have had a few Supratek pres that killed anything else I've ever heard (a broken one in the cupboard). Do I feel short changed, no way. Maybe solid state into my valve amps and missing a few degrees of the Suprateks but way less valves to worry about and loving my music so no more Esoteric pres for me. The phono stage is mediocre at best but handy for a second table, never use the tuner but the pre and DAC are outstanding sound wise, let alone VFM.

good suggestion ... would it beat a ls17 though ?

Sorry but I don't understand the point you are trying to make. Are you suggesting I sell my AR LS17 for a £185 Emotiva?

The point is, even buying new in this Country at circa 500 quid, I now have a pre that replaced two boxes(has another two options I don't use) and makes me very happy. Never heard an LS17 but if it's beat either of my Suprateks, it must be something. The days of me spending thousands on a pre amp are over. For reference my power amps are Audiopax 88s, Nu Vista CD and Oracle/ Kuzma/Koetsu and 6ft Plus double barrelled horns not to mention all the foo connecting it all up.

The point is, even buying new in this Country at circa 500 quid, I now have a pre that replaced two boxes(has another two options I don't use) and makes me very happy. Never heard an LS17 but if it's beat either of my Suprateks, it must be something. The days of me spending thousands on a pre amp are over. For reference my power amps are Audiopax 88s, Nu Vista CD and Oracle/ Kuzma/Koetsu and 6ft Plus double barrelled horns not to mention all the foo connecting it all up.

If it makes you happy that's all that matters

advertisement

Back