advertisement

Line level preamplifier suggestions

indus

pfm Member
Apologies, this is yet another preamplifier thread I've started over the course of a few years. My budget for a preamp has slowly gone down over the years as other financial commitments (those pesky kids!)have increased.

What I need;

1) First and foremost needs to be an improvement on my Audio Research LS17. I've had this from new for many years. I can't say exactly what I want improved...everything really as the LS17 can't be the last word in preamps!

2) I don't need tone controls, HT bypass etc. I don't need much in the way of connectivity either, couple of inputs. Balanced would be good.

3) Can't be more than a few years old for my budget. This will probably be my last preamp so don't want something ancient.

4) I don't want something from a very 'niche' outfit ie a couple of blokes building it in their home. I want something that is easily repaired/maintained and has good resale value....you never know, circumstances can change.

5) Budget is about £3k to £4k. New, lightly used or ex demo.

6) Not passive

7) No diy suggestions please!

8) Must have remote control function

If nothing in my budget would better the LS17 then let me know and I can move on.

Thanks

I’m not sure that you’ll get much better with your budget, probably just different. I’d get your LS17 serviced and sit back and enjoy it.

Thanks, I suspected that might well be the case...

I find you need to get gain and impedance matching right with active preamps or it’ll never work.

If they match electrically then I might be looking at Supratek if I was you?

I've looked into it before and my power amps impedance is such that they should work well with just about any pre, in theory anyway

The drawback of going for a recent pre is that the recent pruce rises will come with it (by recent I mean last 4 years or so). HiFi prices have risen far in advance of inflation.

Your LS17 is an excellent pre. You'd probaly have to spend considerably more to better it with something more modern.

You could buy one of these new and still be within budget.

L1464826-e1589459974237.jpeg

LINK

Plus it would be hand built and to the highest standards.

I've just acquired a Luxman C700. It was out of my budget, but has restored my interest in the system and to my memory exceeds the performance of the ARC Reference 3 that I had. I particularly like the ability to trim in 1dB steps with a digital display on the screen.

I've just acquired a Luxman C700. It was out of my budget, but has restored my interest in the system and to my memory exceeds the performance of the ARC Reference 3 that I had. I particularly like the ability to trim in 1dB steps with a digital display on the screen.

Thank you.
I have a dealer not far from me so I could audition that quite easily.
Problem is the new price is out of budget.... and I hate wasting a dealers time to home demo their gear and if I like it go and find a second hand one. Haven't done that for many many years now

Ah the joys of kids eh ..... i know the feeling ... and i suspect many on here feel the same . there are so many pre amps as you know and i think you have ruled out tron , ad audio, SJS in your description . all of which can be superb

so that might leave an Audio research LS28 . one was advertised recently in mint condition at 3.5k but thats rare . they tend to be around 4.5 still
Esoteric c03 is brilliant but not often seen

LS28 would be a good shout but haven't seen a good one even at 4.5.

How does the c03 compare to the AR stuff you have heard/owned? ie Ref3, Ref5 etc?

Thanks

yes i would like a L28 so i keep my eyes out . its below the performance of the ref 5 but still very good . they keep their price well . ref 5 getting a bit old now but still good . ref 3 seem to go up in price but as you mentioned you dont want anything too old

i have never heard the esoteric c03 but just judging by reviews i would like to try one . it may well be better than my upgraded bel canto bcpre vbs [ with sean jacobs dc3 psu ] but cant be entirely sure . its still brilliant for the money [ the pre 3]

there is a ref 5 on facebook [ arc fb group ] at 5200 [ overpriced ]

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1842015172712920
there is a ref 5se due in at Kpog but not sure of price

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/threads/k4-pog-hifi.103068/

oxford audio struggled for months to sell a ls28 at 5k . not sure what it went for . i think they are about 10k new now . of course we have the ls28se now

Firstly, I would suggest you decide on what technology you prefer Valve/Tube or Solid state. Then select from a short list of each as the two technologies will sound completely different.

If you are looking at pre-amps like the LS28 then don't expect the Mola Mola to even get close...

Benchmark LA4 / HPA4 - Completely transparent, extremely versatile re connectivity / loading. Extremely well built. Compact. Great dealer support. <£3k new.

Unless you want distortion (you may), it doesn’t really get any better. For me it beat every other preamp I tried in my system with active ATCs, including Music First Baby Ref V2, CJ ET3SE, CJ premier 16LS, Sugeden Masterclass, ATC SCA2, Bryston BP26 to name a just a few.

Benchmark LA4 / HPA4 - Completely transparent, extremely versatile re connectivity / loading. Extremely well built. Compact. Great dealer support. <£3k new.

Unless you want distortion (you may), it doesn’t really get any better. For me it beat every other preamp I tried in my system with active ATCs, including Music First Baby Ref V2, CJ ET3SE, CJ premier 16LS, Sugeden Masterclass, ATC SCA2, Bryston BP26 to name a just a few.

You won't be able to hear "distortion" in modern electronics such are the low measured levels involved, so the wrong use of the word in your post. If you think "it doesn't really get any better" using Benchmark products then you really need to get out and explore some proper Hi-Fi...

advertisement

Back