advertisement

Film and TV chat in general

I'm quite drawn to the notion of three channel. Or three and a sub. So much more practical, affordable and sellable than 5 or 7 or 9 or 11. Especially as loads of us already have stereo. Doesn't seem to be much of a thing though. Are hi-fi makers missing an opportunity here or is it not very good?

We watched a very interesting film last night: The Comedy Man, starring Kenneth More as an ageing actor trying, and failing, to get parts. Lots of other famous names/faces (Billie Whitelaw, Dennis Price, Frank Finlay), and scenes in what was then a very run-down Camden Town. It reminded me very slightly of Withnail & I, particularly one scene where More's flatmate lands a starring role and More congratulates him through gritted teeth.

Ironically, but fittingly, the film struggled to get a distributor; it was eventually shown as part of a double bill with Lord of the Flies.

(We'd recorded the film from Talking Pictures TV ages ago and completely forgot about it).

We watched a very interesting film last night: The Comedy Man, starring Kenneth More as an ageing actor trying, and failing, to get parts. Lots of other famous names/faces (Billie Whitelaw, Dennis Price, Frank Finlay), and scenes in what was then a very run-down Camden Town. It reminded me very slightly of Withnail & I, particularly one scene where More's flatmate lands a starring role and More congratulates him through gritted teeth.

Ironically, but fittingly, the film struggled to get a distributor; it was eventually shown as part of a double bill with Lord of the Flies.

(We'd recorded the film from Talking Pictures TV ages ago and completely forgot about it).
It's a wonderful film, ironically at a time when More's own career was on the slide. The scene where he is watching another actor rehearse & he mouths along to the words is one of the best pieces of acting I've ever seen.

I couple of films that came into the borderline delete or not even bother.
But then, outshone my expectations:-

1. "Oh no not another Jewish lesbian movie..."
Disobedience :
Not something that appealed on the surface tbh but this is quite entrancing. Championed by moving performances from Rachel Weisz and Rachel McAdams.

2. "Oh no not another film about the Kray twins..."
Legend:
It is, but the performances of both roles by Tom Hardy are spellbinding. Especially the portrayal of Ronnie's mental condition. I'm thoroughly enjoying this when I wasn't expecting to.
Outshines the Kemp brothers version by a long shot.

Both were on Film4 recently.

Hidden wales final episode absolutely superb ... the long tunnel built by german pow in bridgend was pretty amazing .

Just watched Dennis Hoppers 1980 film 'Out of the Blue', it's quite a mess, with some pretty uncomfortable scenes, wich show how much social mores have changed. Not recommended as a film, but as a piece of social history perhaps................

Ironic the hidden wales programme showed aberthaw coal power station being run with russian coal ..apparently being phased out by 2025 ...no doubt that will change with current events in ukraine

I went to see The Northman at the cinema last night. It had a very respectable cast and a lengthy runtime of 137 minutes, oh and Alexander Skarsgård had lots of muscles - too disproportionate for his natural frame imo. Anyway, it was alright. Not bad, but not a 'must-see' film either.

Great thread :)

Nothing beats going to the cinema for me - the anticipation, immersion, visual and audio experience of watching a top quality film is something I have enjoyed for most of my life. I went to see Dune on the IMAX twice, which was absolutely brilliant, as was Bladerunner 2049, 1917 and many others

I also thoroughly enjoy going to art house cinemas, like the Broadway in Notts. I watched the original Bladerunner (a special one off showing about 10 years ago) and Into the Wild there. The latter is such a powerful and emotional film, the tears were just rolling down my cheeks at the end.

I get bored of all of the DC / Marvel films as they’re just so samey. The exceptions being Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy. I found the latest Spider-Man to be a bore fest and found myself dropping off. The latest Batman looks good though, so I hope to go and see that before it hits the DVD / streaming services

I use to have a 5.1 surround system but could never enjoy it properly. My partner at the time hated all the speakers being around so it was never set-up, to keep the peace :rolleyes: and when I have lived on my own it’s either been in an apartment or a modern attached house with very thin walls so was always mindful of the volume and my neighbours :(

Great thread :)

Nothing beats going to the cinema for me - the anticipation, immersion, visual and audio experience of watching a top quality film is something I have enjoyed for most of my life. I went to see Dune on the IMAX twice, which was absolutely brilliant, as was Bladerunner 2049, 1917 and many others

I also thoroughly enjoy going to art house cinemas, like the Broadway in Notts. I watched the original Bladerunner (a special one off showing about 10 years ago) and Into the Wild there. The latter is such a powerful and emotional film, the tears were just rolling down my cheeks at the end.

I get bored of all of the DC / Marvel films as they’re just so samey. The exceptions being Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy. I found the latest Spider-Man to be a bore fest and found myself dropping off. The latest Batman looks good though, so I hope to go and see that before it hits the DVD / streaming services

I use to have a 5.1 surround system but could never enjoy it properly. My partner at the time hated all the speakers being around so it was never set-up, to keep the peace :rolleyes: and when I have lived on my own it’s either been in an apartment or a modern attached house with very thin walls so was always mindful of the volume and my neighbours :(

been listening to the various han zimmer cds from dune . superb soundtracks

one is this one

I went to see The Northman at the cinema last night. It had a very respectable cast and a lengthy runtime of 137 minutes, oh and Alexander Skarsgård had lots of muscles - too disproportionate for his natural frame imo. Anyway, it was alright. Not bad, but not a 'must-see' film either.

We went to see it tonight. OMG, it was absolutely awful.

Our friends who came with us walked out after 15 minutes... But I'm glad we stayed the course because it was hilariously terrible. Even just the accents...did everyone have a lisp in the 9th century? ...never the mind the dialogue which makes anything on Vikings or Last Kingdom seem sophisticated. Even George Lucas would have blanched.

The bit where the berserkers do their war-dance was particularly laughable, I was really struggling to hold it together, it was just so pathetic.

Actually I think the whole thing might have been written by a 14 year old boy whose parents shouldn't have let him stay up late to watch "Vikings". Alas, poor Willem Dafoe. I felt sorry for Nicole Kidman.

I got rid of netflix recently, I just hardly watched it. I've been watching a fair bit of BBC i-player. A bit late to the game, but I just finished finished season 1 of Nordic noir thriller The Bridge, great stuff.

There is an anglo-french version of The Bridge, called, The Tunnel, for reasons obvious.

Arguably better than The Bridge.

Q: Which actor, living or deceased, has the best CV when it comes to acting in some of the best films ever made without also appearing in a number of not so great films that would otherwise have diluted his truly first class CV?

Al Pacino? Christopher Walken? Gene Hackman? Marlon Brando? Robert De Niro? You're looking in the right areas but you've got the wrong guy. Here's the CV I'm talking about:

The Godfather (1972)
The Conversation (1974)
The Godfather II (1974)
Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
The Deer Hunter (1978)

Not counting an appearance in an episode of NYPD in 1968 or the film short in which he appeared in 1962, the actor in question had active roles in each of these five films and that's it. Fwiw, I came across a brief video on YouTube about this so it's not my discovery as it were, but what a fascinating discovery it is!

Anyway, as for the answer well you may have guessed it by now (stop here if you don't want to know the answer): John Cazale.

advertisement

Back