advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

New hifi day - an RFC Neptune cable (via eBay)
I have an RFC 'Pluto' RCA cable that I've used for my Vinyl setup that I decided to try out in my streaming system because the Linn Black cables were sounding somehow constrained/muffled, so switched it out for the RFC's and the difference was stark. Clarity, yaddayadda... so went cable shopping...again! Lo and behold there was some kind soul selling a 'Neptune' for relatively little money - woohooo.

SolidSteel SS7 speaker stands...

gi.mpl

I bought a Technics SL-QL1 a short while ago. What a great turntable! Mostly dismissed in the past, but how wrong we were. I kept going back to records, but always got fed up with having to get up every 10 minuets to lift the tonearm off and then lift the record off and then the felt or cork mat coming off with the record because of static! Always ended up never being used then selling the turntable. I have had a Thorens TD160b a Linn Axis, a Linn LP12 and lastly was a Lenco L75
But thats all changed now. When the record ends, I dont have to jump up, no problems with static or bouncy suspension, and it sounds fantastic.
I have now also bought a mint boxed SL7 for my second system, and its fantastic.
Anyone else had any experience with these decks?

I've just bought a miniDSP Flex to replace my miniDSP 2x4HD.

It gets a rave review on ASR. Out performing the 2x4HD.

And as it has a display and a knob to twiddle so it doesn't need to lurk at the back of the rack, and no blue led, yeah!

Paradise MC-only phono stage. Later today perhaps some more things like a donor turntable for my DIY turntable project and an MM phono stage.

Are those the pair with XLR’s? How do they compare to the Stirlings? Look very nice in black.

SolidSteel SS7 speaker stands...

gi.mpl

Probably my next purchase, once the room is sorted. My only concern is the stands will be on a wooden floor, but also be moved for proper listening. So I need a captive alternative to spikes.

Probably my next purchase, once the room is sorted. My only concern is the stands will be on a wooden floor, but also be moved for proper listening. So I need a captive alternative to spikes.
My SS-6 came with spikes and feet for wooden floors.

Are those the pair with XLR’s? How do they compare to the Stirlings? Look very nice in black.
Yes they are the pair with the XLRs. They don't offer the level of insight or pinpoint soundstaging of the V3s but there's really not much in it. What has surprised me most is the bass output, I was expecting them to be weaker than the V3s in that respect. Not a bit of it, if anything they sounder a bit fuller & warmer in the bass than the Stirlings (BBC hump?)
Also really like the black ash finish.
TS

I got these and they do the job without scratching my wooden floor :

https://solen.ca/en/products/soundcare-by-seas-sc-m6-c-superspike-chrome-set-of-4

My SS-6 came with spikes and feet for wooden floors.

The stands do come with another threaded footer, with a plastic disc to interface with the floor. No need to search out any alternative footers.

Not really ‘new hifi’, but I have just fixed a noisy LP12 motor. After staring down the barrel of a £200 replacement, I thought I’d tackle it myself first. A few drops of sewing machine oil in the appropriate places and all is well. It sounds easy but was an absolutely PITA to remove the thing and doubly so to put it back, but I achieved! Now a silent motor that runs at a steady 33 1/3 with negligible w/f. It’s actually never run so well since I’ve had the thing, so… it’s like having a new toy!

Not really ‘new hifi’, but I have just fixed a noisy LP12 motor. After staring down the barrel of a £200 replacement, I thought I’d tackle it myself first. A few drops of sewing machine oil in the appropriate places and all is well. It sounds easy but was an absolutely PITA to remove the thing and doubly so to put it back, but I achieved! Now a silent motor that runs at a steady 33 1/3 with negligible w/f. It’s actually never run so well since I’ve had the thing, so… it’s like having a new toy!

I used sewing machine oil with an extendable spout. All that was required was to remove the outer platter and apply a couple drops under the pulley where the spindle enters the motor.

I used sewing machine oil with an extendable spout. All that was required was to remove the outer platter and apply a couple drops under the pulley where the spindle enters the motor.
I wasn’t really sure where I was putting the oil until I saw it free. I also wanted to check that everything looked ok with the motor-plate. I’d been struggling to ‘tilt’ speed adjustment. Anyway - all looked good and the result is spot on. If I have to do it again though, I’ll use your long spout suggestion :)

advertisement

Back