advertisement

KEF LS60 - real or hoax?

Most speakers look awful stuck in an otherwise pleasant room. These aren’t more awful than most. My Arcs look at best like some sort of up market peddle bin.

“fast obsolescence”…on the basis of what?
Try getting the class D amp boards, dac chips or Dsp silicon in five years time. Im not saying the manufacturers won't want to support you, I'm suggesting it will be difficult as things move on quickly in these areas and the parts I mention aren't repaired, they are replaced, so gone is gone and newer versions, are introduced every year or so.
Like it or not those speakers only have a long working life in front of them as long as nothing goes wrong.

The only thing missing is the cartoon head to plonk on top:

90-F650-B6-FFE5-4-AE6-AD6-C-D1-E27-B2-FBDC1.jpg

Try getting the class D amp boards, dac chips or Dsp silicon in five years time. Im not saying the manufacturers won't want to support you, I'm suggesting it will be difficult as things move on quickly in these areas and the parts I mention aren't repaired, they are replaced, so gone is gone and newer versions, are introduced every year or so.
Like it or not those speakers only have a long working life in front of them as long as nothing goes wrong.

Component manufacturers don’t produce new amp boards, DAC or DSP chips every year and immediately cease production of the older components. And speaker manufacturers like Dutch & Dutch and Kii select components based on their planned production lifespan and guarantees of availability, as well as performance and cost.

I am not sure about Kii, but all of the electronics inside the Dutch & Dutch 8c are housed within a tray at the base of the speaker. The entire electronics module can be replaced using a single hex key in just a few minutes. That makes them super easy to repair in the even of a failure. It also means that Dutch & Dutch could supply new and improved electronics in future, if they wanted. Right now though, the existing electronics have plenty of life in them.

Kii have added some useful features though, for example bluetooth connectivity and PEQ, D&D updating firmware for REW integration and now Roon of course.
Keith

Component manufacturers don’t produce new amp boards, DAC or DSP chips every year and immediately cease production of the older components. And speaker manufacturers like Dutch & Dutch and Kii select components based on their planned production lifespan and guarantees of availability, as well as performance and cost.

I am not sure about Kii, but all of the electronics inside the Dutch & Dutch 8c are housed within a tray at the base of the speaker. The entire electronics module can be replaced using a single hex key in just a few minutes. That makes them super easy to repair in the even of a failure. It also means that Dutch & Dutch could supply new and improved electronics in future, if they wanted. Right now though, the existing electronics have plenty of life in them.

Kii3 introduced 2016 - 6 years ago - same version on sale today.

nuff said.
Fair play and good luck to all.

Looks to me like something that would never appear in my living room! What an awful monstrosity.

I don't care how it sounds, if it's ugly sooner or later I'll get rid of it.

I got rid of my original LS50's after two years because I couldn't stand that clown orange grill any longer.

advertisement

Back