advertisement

Room refurb all done. Many nasty jobs...stripping old paper of walls/ceiling, chanelling out for cabling and back boxes, opening out the fireplace, sanding the pine floorboards...painting and decorating...knackered now but it's been worth it.

It's so refreshing to see a wall mounted television without one of those nasty cable conduits ruining the look.
t2025.gif

Very nice room space Jan, looks very inviting and comfy for listening to music or watching movies. Nice job, enjoy! By the way-what are the speakers? The driver on the mid-woofer reminds me of Davis Acoustics, I just didn't go googling, too lazy I guess...

Edit-just looked at your profile page, will have to look into the mc line, those look really interesting!

Room refurb all done. Many nasty jobs...stripping old paper of walls/ceiling, chanelling out for cabling and back boxes, opening out the fireplace, sanding the pine floorboards...painting and decorating...knackered now but it's been worth it.

the hifi is the same but tinkered with speaker stands... an extra central column was added and speakers are now bolted to the stands along with being painted black.

Great room buddy! nicely executed too.

In regards to the natural wall panels, they will mainly deal with room reverberation without any backing structure (class C detail) If you want to use them for lower end frequencies you'll need to add 50mm vertical and horizontal timber battens to the wall at 600mm centres and fill the void with iso-acoustic rockboard/rockwool and then apply the natural wall to the battens (Class A detail)

Funnily enough i was also going to buy that exact media unit, its 180cm long right?

PS always a pleasure to see Audionet kit... so timelessly Bauhaus looking :) why have you not put them on the shelves though? - just remove the back panel behind the shelves and put the amp on the bottom the DNC/EPS on top shelf !

Do they need that extra...say 50mm rockwool behind them for them to be effective for lower frequncies or can they be used as supplied?
What is your definition of 'low frequencies'? 50Hz? 100Hz? 200Hz? 400Hz? 50mm of rockwool mounted flat against a wall will have almost no effect on frequencies below 100Hz because porous absorption works on velocity and the velocity of sound is at its lowest at a room boundary. The further you space the rockwool off the wall, the better it will absorb low frequencies. If you want effective low frequency absorption that's wall-mounted and reasonably thin then I'd be looking at a pressure-based bass trap like the RPG Modex plate but these are incredibly heavy and expensive.

Last edited:
Looks great, are the walls and ceiling a slight greyish colour or is that just the photos?
Walls, coving and ceiling are all painted in dulux 'timeless'...just depends on time of day and intensity of light coming into the room along with adjusment of blind.

The colour can change from a light greyish hue to a more creamy colour...it kinda has a rich coolness to it in this room...i'm very careful with a pinot in my hand when listening to music or the colour could change dramatically!:eek:

Very nice room space Jan, looks very inviting and comfy for listening to music or watching movies. Nice job, enjoy! By the way-what are the speakers? The driver on the mid-woofer reminds me of Davis Acoustics, I just didn't go googling, too lazy I guess...

Edit-just looked at your profile page, will have to look into the mc line, those look really interesting!
Thanks, Yes, they are quite super, great all round speakers.

Great room buddy! nicely executed too.

In regards to the natural wall panels, they will mainly deal with room reverberation without any backing structure (class C detail) If you want to use them for lower end frequencies you'll need to add 50mm vertical and horizontal timber battens to the wall at 600mm centres and fill the void with iso-acoustic rockboard/rockwool and then apply the natural wall to the battens (Class A detail)

Funnily enough i was also going to buy that exact media unit, its 180cm long right?

PS always a pleasure to see Audionet kit... so timelessly Bauhaus looking :) why have you not put them on the shelves though? - just remove the back panel behind the shelves and put the amp on the bottom the DNC/EPS on top shelf !
Thanks m8, wrt the panels...that's what i googled but was curious as to how or what they change or bring to the party?

I'm not particularly clued up on the technical merits but might well take a punt to see what happens lol....they do look very cool tho!

I had the media unit customized, 160cm long x 56cm high. Just in case i fancy a dabble in vinyl the left hand side would house 12" records...The amp is too deep to go inside the unit but it was always my intention to have it on top.

What is your definition of 'low frequencies'? 50Hz? 100Hz? 200Hz? 400Hz? 50mm of rockwool mounted flat against a wall will have almost no effect on frequencies below 100Hz because porous absorption works on velocity and the velocity of sound is at its lowest at a room boundary. The further you space the rockwool off the wall, the better it will absorb low frequencies. If you want effective low frequency absorption that's wall-mounted and reasonably thin then I'd be looking at a pressure-based bass trap like the RPG Modex plate but these are incredibly heavy and expensive.
My definition of low frequency...hmm does barry white count? I'm not really getting any serious ill effects from the low end to my ears, just curious as to how these panels or traps deal with problems...perhaps i don't have issues that need seeing to...

Also, before, the sound was firing across the room and now it's down the room, so maybe i'm just getting used to a slightly different presentation but thanks for your input...i need to read up on the technicalities.

You'd need to try them, they really do work! does your room have any kind of reverb/echo atm?
No echo, i don't 'think' i have problematic issues... as mentioned to another poster i'm now listening to speakers firing down the room as opposed to across.

A change in direction so my ears are having to get used to it...which they have as at first i wasn't sure i liked it. Just think it down to filling the room with stuff...furniture etc

Picked up a classic Denon DVD-A11 to use as a CD / SACD transport.

Seriously impressed with this unit. I never really considered a DVD / multi player as a transport before now.

A Rega Planet R may be on the way soon so I may end up selling it.

PA9A1020.jpg

PA9A1022.jpg

PA9A1025.jpg

PA9A1030.jpg

Always been a big fan of the top Denon players. I’ve had a couple over the years and currently have a 3930 in storage. Great construction and sounds pretty good as well.

Thanks, didn't take any pics, perhaps in hindsight I should've but if you imagine the party wall on the left and the timber slats on the right, this is the sectional build-up:

Apartment party wall
45 x 50mm top-hats attached to the above at 400mm vertical and 600mm horizontal fixing points.
25 x 52mm British Gypsum studs attached to the top-hats.
All sockets, radiator pipes, CAT6, sat and TV points repositioned within the cavity created by the studs and top-hats.
2 layers of 50mm iso acoustic rockwool packed in between the studs where possible.
15mm of BG soundblockF plasterboard, taped and jointed.
15mm of plywood fixed through the plasterboard to the BG studs.
LED tape applied to the wall just above the plywood.
22mm natural wall fixed to the plywood but over sailing the top by 50mm to cover up the LED on the vertical.

Wow
Would it be possible to upload a diagram of the cross section ?

advertisement

Back