advertisement

No.27 has landed (Technics 1210GAE)

Whaleblue

Southbound
Delivered by a lovely ex-DJ Technics collector earlier this evening. Ticks all the aesthetic boxes for me. Tomorrow I’ll see if I can fit a cart!

52018175156_a0bcbd2908_b.jpg

52018428184_5251c7f484_b.jpg

Snap.

Brilliant deck. Classic form factor but factory engineered to be state of the art and as good as it can be. Not inexpensive but a bargain in my view.

I flogged the bundled Nagoaka, and I've had superb results with a Lyra Delos & Clearaudio Maestro.

Yes, it has the bundled JT1210, but I was thinking of going for the Hana ML…

Quick question. I’ve connected everything up (phono leads and earth to phono stage*) WITHOUT a cart on the arm (I removed the headshell entirely in fact), and there’s a loud earth loop type hum. Might that be because of the lack of cart?

*phono stage is a Dynavector P75 mk3 that was silent with my LP12.

So beautiful, congratulations on your purchase. I have used a Denon dl110, goldring g1042 and a grado gold and the Technics brings out the absolute best in them all…….I really wish I had the black one lol

Have you tried it with the headshell/JT1210 ?

Well, that was my next step. I then turned everything back on… and my B135 refused to start up! I think I might have turned it on/off/on too quickly when I noticed I’d forgotten to reconnect the phono stage. Usually one hears the soft start relays clicking, but now I don’t. Tried again this morning, with the same results - it ends up flashing the light above the power button quickly in red. Bit of a pain as I know don’t know if the TT hum is fixed by fitting the headshell/cart, and it looks like I’ll have to get the B135 sent off (at least under its 20 year warranty!).

Sadly I don’t even have a backup amp to try nowadays-so much for minimalism!

Humph!

That looks stunning. If it sounds as good as it looks…
How frustrating though -Might be worth checking if your amp fuse has blown?

Well, that was my next step. I then turned everything back on… and my B135 refused to start up! I think I might have turned it on/off/on too quickly when I noticed I’d forgotten to reconnect the phono stage. Usually one hears the soft start relays clicking, but now I don’t. Tried again this morning, with the same results - it ends up flashing the light above the power button quickly in red. Bit of a pain as I know don’t know if the TT hum is fixed by fitting the headshell/cart, and it looks like I’ll have to get the B135 sent off (at least under its 20 year warranty!).

Sadly I don’t even have a backup amp to try nowadays-so much for minimalism!

Humph!

A flashing red LED usually indicates clipping. Protection circuit engagement is alternate red then green.

Turn it off, unplug it, wait for an hour, plug back in (making sure amp is off first), then turn amp on. Worthwhile checking that all connections are good and correct.

A flashing red LED usually indicates clipping. Protection circuit engagement is alternate red then green.

Turn it off, unplug it, wait for an hour, plug back in (making sure amp is off first), then turn amp on. Worthwhile checking that all connections are good and correct.

Thanks Simon, but actually there is a separate clipping light. It’s being picked up directly by Bryston UK for repair and return - will be away for 2-3 weeks.

OK, back to the 1210GAE…

I remembered I’d an Arcam AV360 in a cupboard.

Connected up and hum lessened but still there…

I’d used a pair of Chord Chameleon Plus as the interconnect from TT to the P75 as “they were there”. Switching over to the supplied cables - silence! What a numpty I am.

Sounding very nice even through the lowly Arcam AV360 set for two channel use.

In use the Technics is an absolute joy. If I pare back to one deck I cannot imagine it not being this one at the moment. Not planning to do that though! Be very interesting to compare to the Xerxes 20+ which is being fitted with an AT-OC9XML, and the LP12 for which I’ll have to decide on a cart to use.

I think the 1210GAE will deserve the Hana ML.

advertisement

Back