advertisement

Films where the acting and direction defy expectations

I enjoyed the acting in Don't Look Up: it was full of "names" who each delivered to my satisfaction. I liked the direction the film took; the ending was superb.

I tend the other way.
Film critics hate Wes Anderson for his middle class story lines, but I just see the cinematography.
Conversely, the critics adore Mike Leigh for his open honest look at 'normal' life, but I only see the performance...and, in the case of Secrets and lies, 2 hours 12 of relentless misery, followed by about 2 minutes of smiles.

So I never have low expectations, but don't always fit in with others high ones. So yes, in answer to the question but my way round.
Despite my concerns about the portrayal of some characters. I though Secrets and lies magnificent when I saw it. A small but epic film. I also loved the Turner film with Spall. He said recently that his weight loss has precluded him from many parts. He is a superb actor.

I also loved In Bruges. Colin Farrell has never been better, though I enjoyed him in The Lobster. I didn’t know what to expect from The Favourite but I enjoyed its quirkiness and the performance of Olivia Coleman who is turning out to be one of our greatest screen actresses.

Despite my concerns about the portrayal of some characters. I though Secrets and lies magnificent when I saw it. A small but epic film. I also loved the Turner film with Spall. He said recently that his weight loss has precluded him from many parts. He is a superb actor.
I though Spall would have made a great Jackson Lamb in the new Slow Horses adaptation. I wonder if he was in the running?
Absolutely superb in Mr Turner.

re Ken Russell - I always enjoy seeing Thor’s Cave at the start of Lair of the White Worm.

Oliver Reed was the spit of my wonderful Uncle Tom (R.i.P.) so generally find him entertaining.

I think Tom Hanks brings a lot to Saving Private Ryan and I can’t think of anyone else who could have played Forrest Gump. There is something about his plain-ness that works well.

Frances McDormond has a great talent evident in Fargo and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri.

I also loved In Bruges. Colin Farrell has never been better, though I enjoyed him in The Lobster. I didn’t know what to expect from The Favourite but I enjoyed its quirkiness and the performance of Olivia Coleman who is turning out to be one of our greatest screen actresses.
I remember seeing her in 'Green Wing' where she stole every scene in the office, but bever thought she would be so three dimensional across so many differing roles.

Something about comics I think. That line between comedy and tragedy. Same for Emma Thompson and others I can’t really think of at this time.

re Ken Russell - I always enjoy seeing Thor’s Cave at the start of Lair of the White Worm.

Oliver Reed was the spit of my wonderful Uncle Tom (R.i.P.) so generally find him entertaining.

I think Tom Hanks brings a lot to Saving Private Ryan and I can’t think of anyone else who could have played Forrest Gump. There is something about his plain-ness that works well.

Frances McDormond has a great talent evident in Fargo and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri.
McDormond in Nomadland was something special I thought.She has an ability to convey so much with what appears to be so little.

Last edited:
The 1967 Disney 'The Jungle Book'. Louis Prima's Baloo the bear steals the show, and George Sanders' Shere Kahn runs him close.

Two performances I recently caught jolted me out of my prejudices. Tom Hanks, who I’d previously never rated, was very good as the editor of The Washington Post in ‘The Post,’ detailing the publication of ‘the Pentagon Papers’ exposing US government nefarious activities in Vietnam. I also caught the Judy Garland biopic ‘Judy’ over Christmas. Rene Zellweger, who I had only ever associated with romcom Bridget Jones fluff, was outstanding in the title role.

I always worry that Leigh patronises the very characters that he tries to promote.
Me too, but there are some films where he really nails it- Secrets & Lies, Vera Drake and Peterloo. I’m still a little suspicious of his tendency to portray the most grotesque stereotypes. I mentioned to a mate how I found Tim McInnery’s performance as the Prince Regent in Peterloo a little over the top. He pointed out that his character was no more of a grotesque stereotype than Boris Johnson or Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Another Farrell cracker is Phone Booth.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0183649/

Before I watched it, I thought how on earth is an entire film with one person in a phone box going to sustain my attention?

An oldie in the form of The Cook, the Thief, his wife and her lover. A grisly, sexy, gothic masterpiece. Michael Gambon chewing the scenery. Helen Mirren being Helen Mirren. Great Music. Didn’t know what to expect when I went to see it. Totally enthralled me.

Quest for fire. A no name director and a no name cast at the time. A film that stayed with me for a long time afterwards.
Loved that film. The bit where they have to climb up a tree to get away from a sabre tooth tiger that waits at the bottom for ages

Loach is awful, a tedious Labour conference fringe meeting disguised as cinema. On the other hand, Mike Leigh made Naked, which is completely brilliant, and at least half a dozen other films which are really good.
Not true. Land & Freedom is masterful film making, and teases out the politics of the Spanish Civil War quite wonderfully. And Kes is as good as British cinema gets.

Leigh is very hit and miss. When he’s not laughing at the animals in the zoo (Life Is Sweet, Meantime), he can be very good (Secrets & Lies, Vera Drake, Peterloo).

advertisement

Back