advertisement

Camera for teenager beginner

Conan

Loop digger
My son loves cars and we are going to the supercarfest this May.
Unhappy with his mobile phone photo quality, he is looking for a camera for better shots.
What cheap but decent digital camera would you guys recommend for a beginner?
I don't mind buying second hand.

How cheap? Someone had a couple of older bargain Canon dslrs on here a while ago. I recall going yo Goodwood over 10 years back with a Canon 20D and 28-135mm zoom lens, and had some nice pics from that combo.

My Canon 450d was quite hit-and-miss when it came to exposure and AF accuracy. The 70d was a huge improvement. I'd go for an old, top-of-the-range crop like the Canon 20d, 30d, 40d etc

I have something that will do the job depending on your budget ?
Canon EOS 650D Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm IS II Lens
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS II Lens
SanDisk 16GB Extreme Pro 95MB/Sec SDHC Card
Canon Custom Gadget Bag 300EG
Canon LP-E8 Battery Pack
All purchased by me new from Wex and cost £1013.95

Yours for £550 + delivery , It will be like new with the box and manual , I have hardly used it.

Sorry for the late reply guys.
I was looking for something used around £150.
I know it's not much but should be enough to better a phone camera.

How cheap? Someone had a couple of older bargain Canon dslrs on here a while ago. I recall going yo Goodwood over 10 years back with a Canon 20D and 28-135mm zoom lens, and had some nice pics from that combo.
And still has :D

Hi Conan,

I’ve got a Fujifilm XT-100 in pristine nick that you could have for £150, it’s got the 15-45 lens and has the legendary Fuji sensor and image quality. Good for beginners as it has easy to use auto modes but can also be used with manual settings and can take future lens changes.

Cheers,

Hi Conan,

I’ve got a Fujifilm XT-100 in pristine nick that you could have for £150, it’s got the 15-45 lens and has the legendary Fuji sensor and image quality. Good for beginners as it has easy to use auto modes but can also be used with manual settings and can take future lens changes.

Cheers,
Is it the 24MP?

do they want SLR, the ability to change lenses?

what do they want to photograph? what specific issue do they have with phone? what phone?

most of my photography is with a phone these days, no issues with quality. Only use my EOS 5mk3 for birds and wildlife

do they want SLR, the ability to change lenses?

what do they want to photograph? what specific issue do they have with phone? what phone?

most of my photography is with a phone these days, no issues with quality. Only use my EOS 5mk3 for birds and wildlife
As said here… it might well be time for a new phone contract. The latest smartphones have excellent image quality in almost all conditions. An old dSLR such as a Canon 40D is much worse in low light than my iPhone 12 Pro, for example.

But as asked earlier, exactly what is the issue he’s having?

His mobile phone is a budget Samsung but I have no intention of replacing it as it is only 6 months old. Picture quality is pretty poor.
He is looking for a camera and, who knows, he maybe become interested in photography.
Nevertheless, this is now sorted

It’s not about the pixel count. Even a 10MP camera will provide enough res to print as big as you want.

There’s a lot to be said for a budget DSLR and a fixed 50mm F2. Zoom with your feet and understand the trade offs with iso/fstop/shutter speed. Lots of potential for creativity that’s not coming from canned phone ‘filters’.

BTW, phone cameras typically have a wide angle lens - a cheap DSLR such as canon man’s d60 with a fast 50mm will produce nice portraits and have a bit of reach for sport.

Having gone down the Pentax/Nikon route I don’t know about Canon glass but seems a “nifty 50” f1.8 is £80 on eBay So £120 with the £40 DSLR.

Embarrassingly my EOS camera to lens ratio is 3. The only lens I have is is the 50mm f1.8 STM (latest version). It is a great lens. I got mine used from WEX for £99 including hood (9+ condition). I think they are £130 brand new without hood.

advertisement

Back