advertisement

Meridian 508 CD player Question ?

AudioAl

pfm Member
A while ago my 508 player started playing up , The draw / tray would get stuck , I have a new belt to fit , Does anyone know how to remove the CD draw front as I don't want to damage it . I need to clean the chrome slide rod as well and it looks easiest to remove the draw front if it comes off ?

It's all fairly self-contained until you take the whole thing apart, if I remember correctly. You have to flip it onto its back to undo the screws holding the sides and glass top on, then unclip the plastic 'grate' at the back and remove it, and then there's more screws. The top and sides then slide off. Then I believe there are screws on the underside of the tray to remove the tray front, and to remove the laser mechanism (which I don't think you need to do). The drawer mech will need to be accessed by removing bits from the inside of the player.

I'm saying this from memory after briefly taking one apart a couple of months ago so apologies that I can't give any more detailed info! Sadly Meridian are the one company who never, it seems, sold any service manuals and so nothing is available online!

OK thanks
Sorted now I missed a screw under the CD tray , Should be good to go now ? Hopefully

Not put it back together yet, the original belt was fairly tight on the pully, the replacement belt is a fair bit smaller , Will sent an image to the supplier.

There's an outfit called Tech Guy that are Meridian's official repair centre for these older models if you end up needing some pro help.

Has anyone taken a 508 apart before ? Inside is a steel rod that is part of the CD tray slide mechanism , Do you think this should be dry / oiled / greased , ?

might be worth taking a look,or posting a question on the Meridian Unplugged website, some very knowledgeable people on there, and people capable of servicing older meridian gear.If I recall correctly there is even a service menu configured in the 508,that lets you know how timely the drawer mechanism is working.If the new belt is smaller, would that not mean its even tighter ? I'm not technically minded mind you

might be worth taking a look,or posting a question on the Meridian Unplugged website, some very knowledgeable people on there, and people capable of servicing older meridian gear.If I recall correctly there is even a service menu configured in the 508,that lets you know how timely the drawer mechanism is working.If the new belt is smaller, would that not mean its even tighter ? I'm not technically minded mind you

Yes it would , The original belt is tight so not keen on fitting the smaller one,

If you check over on Meridian unplugged, you may be able to source the correct sized belt,I wouldn't have thought an incorrect one would be much use
I'll drop you a PM with a very resourceful guy in the South East,who you can contact via the Meridian website, he has been very helpful with my Meridian gear, it doesn't go wrong very often but finding people who can service or repair M gear, and gain parts is sometimes difficult.Got to say the 508 is very good CD player,and well worth fettling,good luck

advertisement

Back