advertisement

Wadia Digimaster X-32 DAC

Dowser

Learning to bodge again..
Even though I've got an ongoing AYA 5 DAC build happening, I just can't seem to keep away from vintage DACs. This time a Wadia X-32 - I know nothing about it except it's the later and cheaper iteration of the X-64. Having been nothing but impressed with both the vintage Camelot Arthur and original Micromega Duo (currently in system) I decided to take a punt on this early and faulty one.

Seller advertised as faulty, because toslink input was not working. But then updated ad that BNC had issues too.

Not even tried to listen to it yet, just stripped it ready for a recap and ordered a whole bunch of caps from Mouser - there's loads of 1uF and 10uF electrolytics in there, there'll all be replaced with Wima MKS2 films.

Case has been opened before, but no-one has replaced anything as far as I can see - non-functional toslink was not helped by the ribbon cable not being connected to main PCB.

So far I just tested 2 of the 1uF caps - both OK from capacitance, but ESR up at 8 & 10 ohms. See photos below - the 2 regulators that are heatsinked also have an overheated resistor - both read OK currently at 22 ohms and I've just lifted them up off the PCB a bit to help with cooling. Hopefully a recap will fix it.

Anyone any experience with this DAC? Any good?

Anyhow, pictures :)

Whole PCB removed
51969427988_898e570d70_k.jpg

Over heated resistors (bad quality, sorry)
51969427923_85f270393a_k.jpg

51969361176_3120afb8b4_k.jpg

Thanks, Richard

Recapped & overheated resistors changed. But unfortunately toslink still doesn't work and it does not lock onto the signal from my RPi4 DAC Hat. Works fine with a CD digital out and sounds superb - very different to my CDI, much harder bass and much more delicate, decaying sounds seem to never disappear. However, it's of no use to me unless I can get it to work with toslink and my RPi as that's the use case for this DAC - toslink receives nothing from TV, even if I force TV to PCM out put. RPi DAC Hat lights the Wadia 44k LED very dimly, but no sound. With a CD digital out 44k LED is brightly lit.

Might ping Tony @Coherent to see if he has any advice, otherwise I sell it on - shame, it shows huge promise.

51977858900_c67d5e9a8b_k.jpg

51977859070_aced06e758_k.jpg

Richard

I listened some more - honestly, even as just an external DAC for a CDP, it’s not going anywhere. Doesn’t image like the Naim does, but the sound is just so enjoyable somehow - haven’t worked out why yet, but it sounds great if I’m in another room too.

Are you sure that its not just a dead Toslink receiver module?
Some expensive hardware on that PCB and unfortunately it will stop working when that UV EPROM self erases. I would cover the window

Are you sure that its not just a dead Toslink receiver module?
Some expensive hardware on that PCB and unfortunately it will stop working when that UV EPROM self erases. I would cover the window

EEK, thanks, researched, scared and done :)

Yes, decided to dig a bit deeper on the toslink issue…and build another RPi streamer with a different DAC hat (found a post about non functionality of hifiberry one I have with the x-32).

Bugger, spare Wolfson digi hat doesn't fit RPi 4. So, recommendations on best digi hat with a S/PDIF output for the RPi 4? Not hifiberry - it is their digi+ (digi in and out) that I have now and is not locking, and reports of their more normal digi hat (output only) doing the same.

Thanks, I'm off to check the toslink receiver :)

Allo Digione?

Looks a good if expensive option, thanks - off to do some research :)

On the Toslink side - someone has replaced the receiver...

51978436847_c150aa03e7_k.jpg

51978436832_d8994c3e97_k.jpg

Tried removing it, don't think I did it but middle pin was broken;
51979742914_653b4044b2_k.jpg

I've emailed Wadia to see if they know specs of original, otherwise I feel a toslink to S/PDIF adaptor entering my life :)

Thanks, Richard

Why is last photo not showing?! Sorry :)

The butchers....

Well, to be fair maybe I broke the middle pin on removal - but regardless it is definitely not the original receiver the unit came with. Haven't researched how many different types there are yet - that's a small regulator on the board that drops 12v to 5v. Looks like original in there also only used 3 pins plus the ground pin (4th PCB trace to right hand side has never seen solder as far as I can tell). No idea how these work, guess it's time to try and find out :)

Does anyone have experience with toslink receivers?

Thanks, Richard

Yay - gotta love the internet. French site detailing how to DIY upgrade stock toslink with Wadia glass to work with their CDPs has a nice photo showing original module - Toshiba RX174. Looks like I found one for €15 delivered from Germany - so no idea why whoever replaced it before chose something different, and it was a real botch job looking at stock Toshiba unit!

yWc7KYW4dEm3yIOTuhY2a1gPg_gcNQS4eLMY1drpk_Y7T3N4qJj6yV_DBqSwvZjxM6jCR_hyk1RYSoawR5siAOzAUKGOMe-xC0pvZ4PKQJQ0yuSDKw

After attempts to pick up one 2nd hand failed, a new Allo DigiOne arrived today - bloody expensive at €100 (el-cheapo's based on same chip can be had at under €20...but without the DC-DC converter and all the local regulation), but I thought why not.

I just replaced the HiFiBerry Digi+ I had in my existing Pi4 with the DigiOne, reset dtoverlay and away we go. Wow - testing on my normal Micromega Duo vintage DAC, much better SQ with Radio Paradise. Swapped the Wadia in to see if it would lock to the hat, and Yay! Sounds completely different to the Micromega, but still fantastic. Need to do some further comparisons I think to see what I really prefer - both are great, but so different!

Replacement Toslink receiver module hasn't arrived yet, so awaiting that before final testing and bolting it all back together...ready for another 30 years :D

Thanks, Richard

Whoopee - toslink receiver arrived today. Fitted it and all 100% functional again. 25 electrolytics replaced, 22 of them replaced with Wima mks2 films. Overheated 22 ohm resistors (although still reading OK) replaced with new ones (had to parallel 2 values due to lack of stock [& being impatient], so 21 ohm and half watt now).

Sounds really, really good - haven't listened to toslink (TV, Netflix, Prime, etc) properly yet, but Radio Paradise sounds better than ever (also new Allo Digione HAT remember), and a drunken night of comparing CD digital out to my heavily modified Naim CDI also scared me. I'll just listen to it for a while now, and then put the Micromega Duo back in to compare (honestly, best DAC I ever heard so far).

Anyhow, thanks for the advice, here are the photos;

- In its new home;
51996884952_04013fec4c_k.jpg

There are 16 case screws...I bolted it back together, and mounted it in system, forgetting to re-connect toslink connector. DOH - 30 mins of my life I'll never get back :)

- Slightly different toslink receivers (replacement in it has one pin gone already);
51998430660_035d1a6fd0_k.jpg

51998162159_f836d1ef91_k.jpg

- Strengthened PCB with new wire links to replace the bodge (I was going to fit a screw to the rear panel too, but it requires spacers that I did not have);
51998430670_1d20f3be5b_k.jpg

51998430655_419ec6e258_k.jpg

- Last test before boxing back up;
51998430650_2f3be98e72_k.jpg

- 48k toslink :)
51996885232_730154516b_k.jpg

Wadia vintage kit now firmly added to my search list :)

Thanks, Richard

Top work and top bit of kit.
I’ve been looking for a 27 DAC for a sensible price for over a decade - will keep looking,:D

advertisement

Back