advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

You can knock nails in with them as well , I love my D3 even if some call them dinosaurs
I used to think the same thing. My standard statement was "With a D3 I never miss a shot; I can put one on the ground and stand on it and use t'other to make the image". Then I bought a D3s. Shot it for a while - generally good results, thoughh something a little strange about micro-focus across the image that I'd notice while editing - couldn't put my finger on it. I sent it away for service - rubbers, calibration, possiby a new shutter. They found the mount wasn't perfectly perpendicular to the sensor, and would need a new chassis - if available. It had been dropped, or perhaps had been used as a hammer. We decided it'd be uneconomic to repair, so I wrote a very clear advert describing it's shortcomings and got half my money back.

What hurt the most was my realisation that the D-pro bodies (I was already on my second and third D3 (respectively) when I picked up the D3s) aren't built of indestructanium after all.

Picked this up today. I knew it was in really nice condition from giving it a once-over the other day, but getting it home I've come to realise the thing's nigh on spotless. Taken a few shots this afternoon, just faffing about in the garden mostly, and whilst yes it's quite a 'unit' the thing's so comfortable, so well balanced, it hides its bulk really well. Because the contact patch between right hand and camera grip is so entire, I can shoot it one-handed really easily. Only 2 other cameras I've owned feel as good - the Fuji X-H1 and the Oly EM1 Mk2 (the latter is an object lesson in ergos imho).

Couple of observations - the shutter's a fair bit quieter than the D700 but that's like saying C4 makes a quieter bang than TNT. It's all relative. :D

The battery is fubar'd - it's the original so over 10 years old, and the MH-22 charger is struggling to calibrate it.

Chunk by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Nice one! C4 vs TNT indeed :) The D3 is lighter than a D700 with grip and extra batty, and far the D3 is better balanced. As you point out, the ergonomics are fab, and everything falls naturally to hand.

I think the shutter noise depends on usage, not just number of releases but the environment and handling too. My first D3 had seen a lot of use - visibly weathered - and was a particularly rattly thing (though still less clattery than my D700). The next couple of D3 I owned were noticably quieter than the first, particularly the ex-Nikon demo D3 (ex-NPS backup body I think) with only 70,000 on the shutter. All of these bodies are now long gone. My D4 has around 475,000 on it - I had the shutter replaced while it was in for calibration and rubbers as a precautionary thing at 434,000 a couple of months after I got it. It's noticably louder than my D4s (I think that's under 200k) - unsure if that's a design or use thing.

The D3s has a sensor cleaner, yeah? Definitely worthwhile over the D3! The better colour is subtle, but worthwhile too.

I visited the Bosham Gallery today, about 40 minutes drive from home as they currently have a Michael Kenna exhibition. The photographs are a record of Northern towns from the mid-eighties just before the Thatcherite destruction of the mill and manufacturing communities, a lot of the scenes having subsequently disappeared. As good as the book production is, the prints although small are simply stunning & I'm pleased I got to see them:

51870832080_30b0840a68_c.jpg

Their next exhibition is Valda Bailey whose work I find fascinating although not always to my taste - see what you think

I went to a Kenna exhibition once, and forgot to take my reading glasses. It was touch and go whether I'd had been better off staying at home. In fact, a magnifying glass would have been better.

His prints are sublime, but why on earth does he print so small?

I went to a Kenna exhibition once, and forgot to take my reading glasses. It was touch and go whether I'd had been better off staying at home. In fact, a magnifying glass would have been better.

His prints are sublime, but why on earth does he print so small?

Possibly because if you can command £20k for a 6" x 9" print you don't need to waste paper?

More seriously, I found working on 10 x 8 prints challenging with dodging & burning, but his prints are a technical tour de force. He's not the only one who prints small, Bruce Percy works at 8" square. In a simple black frame with large white mount they are nonetheless quite captivating

Oh, they are certainly captivating. In fact I recall him saying that he prints small to encourage the viewer to come in close and study the print, which might be seen as literal definition of 'captivating'.

Personally I'm just as captivated by a beautiful print if I can stand back a bit, and not be compelled to squint!

Whoops !
Just managed to buy a Nikon DF with a 50mm 1.8G lens , All boxed , And a free Peak design strap and 32gb card
This is like new with only 8263 images taken , Not a mark on anything , Im well impressed , It was a ebay best offer accepted

Enjoy. I use mine with the 28mm 2.8ais, 50 1.2ais and the 105 2.5ais. Treat it to a nice leather wrist strap and a Gariz leather half case....

David Ward, Joe Cornish and Simon Baxter were all due to speak at the official opening. Which was unfortunately in the first week of full lockdown.

One of those things...

That's seriously hard luck Mark - really sorry to hear that.

Its got bad, really bad, thats GAS.... so far this year - its almost @Gromit levels :D

Canon EOS500N - Free for a charity donation
Sigma 35mm F1.4 ART EF mount - works on my Canon film bodies and surprisingly well on the GFX
Canon FD 28mm F2.8 - not much money and fun on the GFX, just need a 35mm film FD body now
Canon 5D Classic - these are such a bargain at the moment, needed to scratch the itch about picture quality from this (first) full frame sensor - arrived today, will use it in anger tomorrow. Its a low mileage 6658 click example and a late serial number so hopefully no mirror detachment issues.

and on there way to me next week, a job lot purchase :)

Mamiya C33 c/w 80mm F.28 lens
Canon A1 - told you I needed a FD body for the glass I've already got
Another Canon FD28mm - why have one when you can have two
Canon FD135mm - be interested to try this on the GFX
Helios 58mm - don't know which version, I already have one, so will probably move one on......

C33 - i've got an older C3 which is great. I have a bit of a mamiya collection going on, thinking about it. The other day a friend mentioned 6x7 and I remembered i've got a Mamiya RZ67, went to have a look, and realised i've got two of them :)

talking of confessional stuff, I picked up a mamiya 35/3.5 to go with my Mamiya/Phase one bodies. It's got a dodgy lens hood that has lost it's click so it can rotate and fall off by itself, but otherwise it's a very clean example.

I used to think the same thing. My standard statement was "With a D3 I never miss a shot; I can put one on the ground and stand on it and use t'other to make the image". Then I bought a D3s. Shot it for a while - generally good results, thoughh something a little strange about micro-focus across the image that I'd notice while editing - couldn't put my finger on it. I sent it away for service - rubbers, calibration, possiby a new shutter. They found the mount wasn't perfectly perpendicular to the sensor, and would need a new chassis - if available. It had been dropped, or perhaps had been used as a hammer. We decided it'd be uneconomic to repair, so I wrote a very clear advert describing it's shortcomings and got half my money back.

What hurt the most was my realisation that the D-pro bodies (I was already on my second and third D3 (respectively) when I picked up the D3s) aren't built of indestructanium after all.
There was a D4 on eBay just after it had been released with a70-200 f2.8 that had been run over by a car, he put it on the floor and someone reversed over it. It was a right mess.

Pete

The Ford plant constructed between 1917 & 1927 at Rouge in Dearborn, Michigan became an icon of American industrial achievement. Employing over 100,000 workers it had its own docks to bring in iron ore, smelted in their furnaces with enough electricity generation to supply a city of a million people. Over the 1990s Michael Kenna made a number of visits to the site documented in this book:

52082666940_ddc262b5ee_c.jpg

52081140372_c8f5cff1af_c.jpg

advertisement

Back