advertisement

I stumbled upon another NOS JVC AX-z1010 integrated amp/DAC and I jumped.

Bought my first NOS unit about 3 years ago and have been enjoying it ever since. This past winter I swapped the JVC out for a Cyrus Phono & Audiomat integrated, but after a month or so I was missing the JVC so back in it went. I'm so happy with the overall sonic presentation that I can't see ever needing another amp...so I bought a spare!

gi.mpl

And another photo of my latest pride & joy...Fat Bob.

gi.mpl

Bought my first NOS unit about 3 years ago and have been enjoying it ever since. This past winter I swapped the JVC out for a Cyrus Phono & Audiomat integrated, but after a month or so I was missing the JVC so back in it went. I'm so happy with the overall sonic presentation that I can't see ever needing another amp...so I bought a spare!

gi.mpl

gi.mpl
Very high "wow" effect with such turntable ! Some designers are doing a good job out there.

gi.mpl

gi.mpl
That is a great looking deck! Not normally my kind of thing but that is simply incredible.

I am a fan of Transrotor. Unfortunately the more expensive the model, the uglier it gets :D. I find the entry level Max really attractive, and your Fat Bob's pretty cool too. In fact they are largely similar. The top model Artus looks like an abomination.

Is that a Sorane tonearm? How does it compare to the equivalent Jelco arm? It's been touted as a suitable alternative now that Jelco has gone out of business.

gi.mpl

gi.mpl

Very high "wow" effect with such turntable ! Some designers are doing a good job out there.
Indeed..."wow" is pretty much the first word out of anyone's mouth the first time they see it. Thanks Gervais! PS. Any relation to Patrick "the Predator"?

That is a great looking deck! Not normally my kind of thing but that is simply incredible.
Bling is not normally my kind of thing either, but I have always appreciated the minimalist / skeletal type turntable. The entire thing is solid aluminum and highly polished. Photos simply do not do it justice. The armboard is also a beautiful and very rigid design. Thanks for the kind words Woodface.

I am a fan of Transrotor. Unfortunately the more expensive the model, the uglier it gets :D. I find the entry level Max really attractive, and your Fat Bob's pretty cool too. In fact they are largely similar. The top model Artus looks like an abomination.

Is that a Sorane tonearm? How does it compare to the equivalent Jelco arm? It's been touted as a suitable alternative now that Jelco has gone out of business.

I was not all that aware of Transrotor until a local dealer started carrying the line. The bearings are amazing! The 30lb platter spins freely on it's inverted bearing like it's almost weightless. This Fat Bob also uses Transrotor's TMD bearing / drive, which separates / magnetically couples the belt driven subplatter and the main platter. Originally, I was thinking this is over-complicating the drive system, but the results speak for themselves. This is the quietest TT I've ever heard.

The tonearm is an Abis. The company that manufactures them in Japan eventually changed the name to Sorane. I cannot compare it to a Jelco as I've never heard one, but I would imagine it to be of similar quality to Jelco's products. I was looking for a higher mass tonearm to match with low compliance cartridges and the nearly 13 inch Abis / Sorane certainly fit the bill. I've included a link to Art Dudley's Stereophile review of the arm.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-145

And yes, I agree. The top end Transrotors are much too blingy for my tastes, but luckily they are also far out of my price range!

Indeed..."wow" is pretty much the first word out of anyone's mouth the first time they see it. Thanks Gervais! PS. Any relation to Patrick "the Predator"?

Bling is not normally my kind of thing either, but I have always appreciated the minimalist / skeletal type turntable. The entire thing is solid aluminum and highly polished. Photos simply do not do it justice. The armboard is also a beautiful and very rigid design. Thanks for the kind words Woodface.

I was not all that aware of Transrotor until a local dealer started carrying the line. The bearings are amazing! The 30lb platter spins freely on it's inverted bearing like it's almost weightless. This Fat Bob also uses Transrotor's TMD bearing / drive, which separates / magnetically couples the belt driven subplatter and the main platter. Originally, I was thinking this is over-complicating the drive system, but the results speak for themselves. This is the quietest TT I've ever heard.

The tonearm is an Abis. The company that manufactures them in Japan eventually changed the name to Sorane. I cannot compare it to a Jelco as I've never heard one, but I would imagine it to be of similar quality to Jelco's products. I was looking for a higher mass tonearm to match with low compliance cartridges and the nearly 13 inch Abis / Sorane certainly fit the bill. I've included a link to Art Dudley's Stereophile review of the arm.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-145

And yes, I agree. The top end Transrotors are much too blingy for my tastes, but luckily they are also far out of my price range!
Not a direct cousin of Pat the Predator Cote but we have common ancestors from 5 generations back.

The 2nd system which is very rapidly becoming the first system due to periodic upgrades!

Proac Response DB3 on B&W stands, Technics 1210GR with AT540ML, DIY passive pre, Sugden SP30 power amp (only two ever made according to Sugden as "Special Project", basically a dual mono A21AP which outputs 30W). In the middle cupboard lurks the DIY Emerald phono stage and what was the amp before the Sugden arrived - Onix OA21, and the digital source which is raspberry pi with Ian Canada dual mono dac hat and transformer output board.

The 2nd system which is very rapidly becoming the first system due to periodic upgrades!

Proac Response DB3 on B&W stands, Technics 1210GR with AT540ML, DIY passive pre, Sugden SP30 power amp (only two ever made according to Sugden as "Special Project", basically a dual mono A21AP which outputs 30W). In the middle cupboard lurks the DIY Emerald phono stage and what was the amp before the Sugden arrived - Onix OA21, and the digital source which is raspberry pi with Ian Canada dual mono dac hat and transformer output board.

Very nice James, not just the kit, I like your floor and sofa too.

Cheers BB

No more Ardens. Instead, P3ESR SEs on temp stands, underpinned by the (frankly incredible) SVS SB3000 - a different sound for me, but enjoying it. SolidSteel SS6 stands ordered…

4-A09-BF03-A356-4449-A336-AF0-EF584-DACE.jpg" alt="4-A09-BF03-A356-4449-A336-AF0-EF584-DACE
Looking good!

Reactions: JTC
Closer view of the boring black box business end of stuff. Have an urge to try an active pre with the Sugden, the passive was just a lash it up to get it running thing. Tempted to try a Headmaster to keep it in the family, and being half width it'd fit in the cupboard. Headphone capability handy too!

Very nice James, not just the kit, I like your floor and sofa too.

Cheers BB

Cheers BB, the sofa's an off the shelf DFS jobbie, does fit the room nicely. The floor thankfully was here when we moved in, could do with some TLC in places but having stripped it and recoated it when we first moved in I really can't be arsed emptying the rooms and doing it again!

Cheers BB, the sofa's an off the shelf DFS jobbie, does fit the room nicely. The floor thankfully was here when we moved in, could do with some TLC in places but having stripped it and recoated it when we first moved in I really can't be arsed emptying the rooms and doing it again!
I have the same sofa, and it’s stood up to the depredations of three kids really well. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy from DFS again*

I’m not in the furniture industry, so not a shill for Big Furniture.

Closer view of the boring black box business end of stuff. Have an urge to try an active pre with the Sugden, the passive was just a lash it up to get it running thing. Tempted to try a Headmaster to keep it in the family, and being half width it'd fit in the cupboard. Headphone capability handy too!

The Masterclass pre is a bit special if you can find a used one or are feeling (very) flush

@JTC If you don't mind, maybe you can upload two pictures of the room, one with the Arden and one with the P3ESR. I guess the big difference in look would be interesting.

advertisement

Back