advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2022 remastered edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've worked in theatre/music/events form most of my carrer and I'm just about retiring. I worked all over the EU and there was never any paperwork. Brexit has devastated an industry which took a lot of UK crews all round Europe being paid locally and paying tax in the UK. The ferry problem has cancelled this gig but there are countless more that never get organised any more. The EU offered a special opt out for musicians/performers but our friends in the Tory party said no.

Can we have a link to 'the Tory party said no' please ?

This is true.

If Britain was an economic powerhouse, say it matched Americas GDP per head, it would be 45% higher then how much do you think of the moaning about Europe would there have been, much of the Brexit inferiority complex was driven by the poor economic performance of the U.K. and Brexit has only exacerbated it because Brexit never dealt with the root cause of the problem, a price worth paying?

This is true.

This is the Brexit thread. I suspect there's one on the suspension of P&O services elsewhere on the forum.

Anyway, there's plenty on it on the BBC. Try Google.

Since when is the (recurrent) flakiness and now failure of post Brexit IT systems the fault of P&O's issues? The queues in Dover pre-date P&O's shameful exercise. They will be adding to the problem of limited capacity for sure, but they are handy for Brexiteers as the one stop shop excuse for their lack of preparation for January.

The early indications are not encouraging, but Rees-Mogg says we have to give it 50 years or so. Which has the advantage that we'll all be long gone by then.
Their perverse salvation is Covid (add Russia for good measure). They hope the appalling Brexit metrics will be submerged from view by the effect of the other two.

Since when is the (recurrent) flakiness and now failure of post Brexit IT systems the fault of P&O's issues? The queues in Dover pre-date P&O's shameful exercise. They will be adding to the problem of limited capacity for sure, but they are handy for Brexiteers as the one stop shop excuse for their lack of preparation for January.

No P&O ferries, taking out a third of capacity at Easter weekend, a week long GVMS/GMR outage, bad weather and Eurotunnel down due to a train breakdown. But its all the fault of Brexit. I'm actually surprised that there are so many lorries backed up on the A20, given, if you recall, that Brexit deprived all the lorries of people to drive them, and fuel to run them too.

Anyway, P&O should be up and running again next week, so our 'one-stop excuse' will be gone, but I will bear it in mind.

No P&O ferries, taking out a third of capacity at Easter weekend, a week long GVMS/GMR outage, bad weather and Eurotunnel down due to a train breakdown. But its all the fault of Brexit. I'm actually surprised that there are so many lorries backed up on the A20, given, if you recall, that Brexit deprived all the lorries of people to drive them, and fuel to run them too.

Anyway, P&O should be up and running again next week, so our 'one-stop excuse' will be gone, but I will bear it in mind.

Ferry disruption has always happened. There is absolutely nothing that a raft of self inflicted additional friction improves about it. But no, nothing to do with Brexit. Shame our exporters, importers and people who actually deal with this nonsense don't share your view.

One thing you are right about, even facetiously, is that this shambles could have been worse had the traffic volumes been anything like as high as they were.

As you will if your country breaks up the UK and the price is worth paying ( by others ) for those voting for it. It is exactly the same as people voting for the UK to leave the EU.

How do you know whether Scotland be worse off if it divorces its largest trading partner for an even larger trading partner?

I would have thought that the answer to that was fairly straightforward. Scotland was part of that even larger trading partner for 50 years, but it still trades much more with this much smaller trading partner.

Ferry disruption has always happened. There is absolutely nothing that a raft of self inflicted additional friction improves about it. But no, nothing to do with Brexit. Shame our exporters, importers and people who actually deal with this nonsense don't share your view.

One thing you are right about, even facetiously, is that this shambles could have been worse had the traffic volumes been anything like as high as they were.

I don't know that P&O sacks all its staff and gets shut down by the regulators for weeks at a time right through the Easter holidays happens that often, but perhaps you know better. The only directly brexit-related issue in this is the dropout of the HMRC systems which would not be required were we still in the EU, but the only organ which mentions that is, wadyaknow, the ostentateously EU ultra the Guardian. So yes, there is a brexit-related issue within this problem, but it is by no means at all the entire problem.

But then I'd expect you'd blame Brexit if you fell out of bed on the wrong side, rather than the more normal simply getting out of it on the wrong side.

My business is almost entirely dependent, incidentally, on goods which come in through Dover from the EU, so I have a certain amount of insight into these issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back