advertisement

Which is best Wi-Fi or ethernet?

Linnovice

pfm Member
Hi all, a quick question that’s probably been asked but, put simply, I have Bluesound Node 2. My listening room is away from the router and at present I’m connecting via the house Wi-Fi. It would be possible for me to run an Ethernet cable from router to Bluesound but, and there always is, we’ve just had a nice wooden floor laid. The cable would have to be ‘discretely’ laid on top of it. My better half may/would not appreciate the aesthetics of that so, before I enter into battle, would it be worth it?
I’m polishing my stainless codpiece as I write

I’m all for copper rather than ‘thin air’. I’m a great fan of shoelaces for the same reason:)
Aye at work we’d always go with cabled if possible/sensible but for domestic/aesthetic reasons wifi is often an OK compromise.

As mentioned above if you are not having connection issues then stay with radio communications. If its good enough for pilots to fly drones on missions 100s or even 1000s of miles away and NASA can communicate with rovers on the surface of Mars then the piddling amount of data for music over a very small distance in a home is childs play.

Cheers,

DV

I had dropout issues when using wi-fi with my Node 2 so I ended up having to connect via network cable to sort it out.

They both sound equally good.
Neither have any 'sound' its just the same binary data but over different mediums. Communication protocols guarantee perfect data delivery. Over a poor data communication link you may have drop outs and the data may not be delivered in a timely manner due to retransmissions but it will still be perfect once it has arrived. The X.25 protocol guarantees perfect delivery over any poor communication links and it was once (maybe still) used for communication with space craft. It keeps on trying until every byte has been perfectly received.

Cheers,

DV

If its good enough for pilots to fly drones on missions 100s or even 1000s of miles away and NASA can communicate with rovers on the surface of Mars then the piddling amount of data for music over a very small distance in a home is childs play.

Hmmm....... I think their systems are a little better than good ol' 802.11x

;)

Neither have any 'sound' its just the same binary data but over different mediums. Communication protocols guarantee perfect data delivery. Over a poor data communication link you may have drop outs and the data may not be delivered in a timely manner due to retransmissions but it will still be perfect once it has arrived. The X.25 protocol guarantees perfect delivery over any poor communication links and it was once (maybe still) used for communication with space craft. It keeps on trying until every byte has been perfectly received.

Cheers,

DV
Yeah that’s true. But no one’s using X.25 at home !? I feel like I have just entered a time warp.

I think it depends on your circumstances. I know advocates of both who swear their choice is the better one. Currently, I live in a terraced house in a densely packed urban area, sometimes wi-fi signals get disrupted, so I use wired on my main system and wi-fi on my second system because I don't want to take up floors to put in cabling, so put up with this. Once my planned move to a less densely packed suburban area finally happens, I will initially try with wi-fi only and only go wired if needed.

As mentioned above if you are not having connection issues then stay with radio communications. If its good enough for pilots to fly drones on missions 100s or even 1000s of miles away and NASA can communicate with rovers on the surface of Mars then the piddling amount of data for music over a very small distance in a home is childs play.

Cheers,

DV

You mean that NASA use the same short-range systems and 'domestic' wifi kit as consumers?

I'd suspect the circumstances are rather different. e.g. Mars may not have as many adjacent wifi systems sharing the same bandspace and time slots as many homes on Earth. Nor be subject to 'drive by' data hoovering, etc.

I've stayed with wired ethernet because it simply works well and is reliable.

Makes no difference, so long as you have an adequate WiFi signal which, from what you say, you do.

advertisement

Back