advertisement

new small footprint vinyl system recommendations

kwmason

Won Ton On
Hi all,
I've been very spoilt over the years having had my own hifi room, and working up to a Dynavector, well tempered, Shahinian Hawk system - via various twists and turns. I've had 5 sets of different shahinian's, all the dynavector power and preamps and to my ear - that combination along with a Well tempered amadeus/versalex was perfect.
But the end has arrived - my wife wants a kitchen-diner and the builders arrive this month so I'm selling everything until i know where my music will be played in future.
One thing i do know is i need small - a user friendly turntable, small with a hinged lid to keep people off, a single box amp - preferably with a great MC photo stage built in, book shelf speakers.

Im thinking
Rega RP8 with cover?
shahinian Larcs?
other ideas welcome, and amp recommendations to at least get be a sound that i know won't compare but i can accept - obviously used and budget - £3-£5K

hit me with those recommendations to research

cheers

If I had to shrink things down a bit I’d be looking at Rega P8, Simplex, Thorens 124.

Rega-System-One-scaled-1-1200x925.jpg

Something Rega, a Linn Majik integrated (the more recent versions have an internally switchable MM/MC/line level input), speakers to taste

There's lots of small footprint TTs, Rega P8 & P10, WB Circle, NA 'Spacedeck' models, SME 10 (12 &15) LP12, Michell Technodek and SE models, Kuzma Stabi, though with the exception of the LP12 none of these TTs are equipped with a hinged lid.
Same with integrated amps, though finding one with a quality MC stage may be bit more of a challenge, there's quite alot of small footprint MC stages available though, as for speakers nearly every manufacturer I can think of produces small standmount speakers, from £100 - £ how much, lol.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I've been very spoilt over the years having had my own hifi room, and working up to a Dynavector, well tempered, Shahinian Hawk system - via various twists and turns. I've had 5 sets of different shahinian's, all the dynavector power and preamps and to my ear - that combination along with a Well tempered amadeus/versalex was perfect.
But the end has arrived - my wife wants a kitchen-diner and the builders arrive this month so I'm selling everything until i know where my music will be played in future.
One thing i do know is i need small - a user friendly turntable, small with a hinged lid to keep people off, a single box amp - preferably with a great MC photo stage built in, book shelf speakers.

Im thinking
Rega RP8 with cover?
shahinian Larcs?
other ideas welcome, and amp recommendations to at least get be a sound that i know won't compare but i can accept - obviously used and budget - £3-£5K

hit me with those recommendations to research

cheers
Before you sell up I’d choose the speakers so you’re familiar with kit upstream. Small speakers wise I always end up back with ProAc.

The RP8 has a very small footprint, I find a hinged rather than lift off lid much handier though, I tend to use my Technics more than my Gyro SE for that reason.

Plenty of small form factor integrated but reckon you might have to go for a separate MC stage to maximise SQ. Maybe try the RWA Claymore?
https://www.abcaudio.biz/product-page/EWA-claymore-amplifier

Exposure XV Super MC (admittedly, these don't come up that often, but the best integrated for MC playback I've heard), Rega Deck and arm, mc of your choice and Harbeth P3 ESRs

Have done similar and I now use headphones for listening although I scratched an itch late last year and tried Rega's new Kytes which were absolutely stunning near field fed by IO and fronted by a P9/Apheta/Ios phono stage. Turned out to be impractical in the end :( and went back to phones.

If you have room for Kytes I'd recommend them with an IO and P6/Exact (I heard this set up at a dealer and loved it, although it is MM).

Btw, I did use the stand adaptors with the Kytes. My daughter has the Kytes now along with the IO and says they sound great.

Good luck with your search.

A lot of recommendations for the RP8 so I'll keep it to my play list, ref speakers as i love the shahinian sound i may start with Shahinian Arcs although ive never heard a set of LS3/5a based speakers.
Amps is the bigger question - the exposure is an interesting option

I’m not clear whether people are recommending the RP8, which was the previous one with the bigger plinth and lift up lid, or the newer P8 with the tiny plinth and the little cover. We have a Planar 10 and ProAc Tablette 10 Signatures, which are both very small and very good. The Planar 8 (P8) is the same size as the 10 of course. A nice amp with built in phono stage would complete the system nicely.

Hi,

I visit someone who has the Linn Majik DSi into Shahinian Arcs, this replaced a Linn Naim triamped system, the Linn and Arcs are better, they might not play as loud but there is no sense of speakers in the room, just music, just like your Hawks do/did.

I think if you can find something along those lines then the older version Linn Majik DSM has a very good MC/MM phono stage, quite a few on eBay or in dealers.

https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Majik_DSM_/3_(2016_2018_Variants)

As for turntable am sure you could find a decent LP12 with Ittok and a suitable cartridge at a dealer.

Shahinian Larcs are good, Arcs are way better and fit into spaces that other speakers would not.

Might not be what you were thinking of but the Shahinian sound will be there along with the LP12 and Linn Majik DSM it will sound quite special.

Cheers

John

Hi,

I visit someone who has the Linn Majik DSi into Shahinian Arcs, this replaced a Linn Naim triamped system, the Linn and Arcs are better, they might not play as loud but there is no sense of speakers in the room, just music, just like your Hawks do/did.

I think if you can find something along those lines then the older version Linn Majik DSM has a very good MC/MM phono stage, quite a few on eBay or in dealers.

https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Majik_DSM_/3_(2016_2018_Variants)

As for turntable am sure you could find a decent LP12 with Ittok and a suitable cartridge at a dealer.

Shahinian Larcs are good, Arcs are way better and fit into spaces that other speakers would not.

Might not be what you were thinking of but the Shahinian sound will be there along with the LP12 and Linn Majik DSM it will sound quite special.

Cheers

John
Cheers John,

having had Arc's (twice) i agree they are excellent - but i doubt ill have the space. Regarding the LP122 ive dabbled before and never felt the music was great - i might try another but the rega RP8 9older version with cover) sounds like its worth a demo

Karl

Best MC TT small footprint hifi secondhand?
Ion Obelisk 3 with the optional mc phono board £200-£300
Stirling V2s or Harbeth P3ESRs £1000
Spend the rest on the best LP12 you can find.

TS

advertisement

Back