advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

Unvaccinated and not eligible have totalled 22% for months. It is just too high. Not sure if anything can be done about it though.

Why are you all liking the update today? Deaths are up quite a bit on last week and, while the admissions are perhaps stabilising, they too are higher. The story today goes that cancer patients are not always getting access to the antivirals.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...er-struggling-to-access-antivirals-in-england

As Ian said - as a way of thanks for still doing this, and also so that you know I am actually still around - (even if less so slightly these days)
I am still at a loss for words as to just what our government have achieved over the last30 odd months, its breathtakingly <insert word of choice> inept.
& yet it continues, as if nothing is going on.

Is the paediatric mortality of omicron smaller than the other variants? I think it is, but maybe someone knows better.

Everyone was half expecting it to be much lager in Dec 2021, so it would be good to know those fears were unfounded.
I’d drink to that…

"Many people still seem to believe that #LongCovid will disappear over time. A new study in @NatureComms shows that this will likely not happen. Almost *all* patients still showed some of the most debilitating symptoms (e.g., fatigue) after a year"

https://twitter.com/KunstJonas/status/1511317611488948228?cxt=HHwWiMC5-YfXo_kpAAAA

"Cardiac impairment, other than myocarditis, is present in 1 in 5 individuals
with Long Covid at 6 months, persisting in over half of those at 12 months. Cardiac-related blood biomarkers are unable to identify cardiac impairment in #LongCovid."

https://twitter.com/KunstJonas/status/1511235675349303297?cxt=HHwWgoC-keC1_vgpAAAA

Way more than a year in a friends case.
These links may be of use to anyone struggling.
Basically 'retraining the brain' that the body no longer actually has covid.
It is a very long road to any form of full recovery.

https://retrainingthebrain.com/long-haulers-treatment-covid/

https://nurse.org/articles/neuroplasticity-brain-retraining/

Way more than a year in a friends case.
These links may be of use to anyone struggling.
Basically 'retraining the brain' that the body no longer actually has covid.
It is a very long road to any form of full recovery.

https://retrainingthebrain.com/long-haulers-treatment-covid/

https://nurse.org/articles/neuroplasticity-brain-retraining/

My work colleague who caught Covid back in April 20 is in the same boat... it's been nearly 2 years now and he's been forced to retire :( Still, it's just like a bad cold so why worry? :rolleyes:

My work colleague who caught Covid back in April 20 is in the same boat... it's been nearly 2 years now and he's been forced to retire :( Still, it's just like a bad cold so why worry? :rolleyes:

It's very difficult to get a pension to payout on the basis of fatigue anyway and with a new disease, it's be going to be even harder to gain acceptance that the symptoms will remain in the long term. A lot of people are going to be in very tough positions - as for the Job Centre...

It's very difficult to get a pension to payout on the basis of fatigue anyway and with a new disease, it's be going to be even harder to gain acceptance that the symptoms will remain in the long term. A lot of people are going to be in very tough positions - as for the Job Centre...

It's all this side of this pandemic that seems to be treated by so many, the government included, as an 'inconvenient truth' so let's pretend it doesn't exist. If they keep at it long enough it'll be decades before Long Covid sufferers are recognised properly and not treated as being work shy or drama queens and the likes.

Also just wanted to add my support to your posting here Gav, you know I've said it before, but your work on this thread has kept me sane throughout this whole thing so many thanks as always.

"Matthew Taylor, CE NHS Confederation, #r4today just now. "We don't have a living with COVID plan, we have a living without restrictions plan, which is completely different." "

To be clear, 200 people died of COVID yesterday because someone upstream in their infection chain thought "it's only the flu, and I want to get on with my old life." Ditto day before. Now that we don't have free rapid tests and mask mandates, it's even harder to be responsible.

https://twitter.com/PeaseRoland/status/1511227994202857476?cxt=HHwWiICzkdP2-vgpAAAA

Also just wanted to add my support to your posting here Gav, you know I've said it before, but your work on this thread has kept me sane throughout this whole thing so many thanks as always.

Exactly.

Gav, you have done a great job for many of us here, trying to present chunks of truth, reporting and analysis that help illustrate where we are.

Not letting Covid slide into 200 deaths a day that few would hear about and then cannot care about is important.

As is promoting ways that we can reduce individual risk and population risk as some people here might be listening and act on suggestions.

I have searched all over for approaches to make masks seal better around the top of the nose and into the cheek area. This was the one area that I could not get right on the reusable masks that we have used for much of the pandemic.

After a few failed attempts I purchased some of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089Y7D5RX/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

We are now using them and can confirm that they make for a much better seal around the nose. No more fogged up glasses and far less air / possible Covid etc able to get around the cheek + nose mask interface, and hence it has to go through the ionising layers of the mask, where it is very likely to be destroyed or stopped by the mesh layers.

The masks that we have been using (Livinguard technology) have at times been labelled and hence tested as FFP2 or N95 for use in Germany etc. And as reusable masks (6 months of daily use, with weekly washing in water), they are considerably cheaper and better for the environment than single use throw away items.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Exactly.

Gav, you have done a great job for many of us here, trying to present chunks of truth, reporting and analysis that help illustrate where we are.

Not letting Covid slide into 200 deaths a day that few would hear about and then cannot care about is important.

As is promoting ways that we can reduce individual risk and population risk as some people here might be listening and act on suggestions.
Totally agree with this . Thanks Gav.

Long Covid: my wife is still affected 2 years after first getting sick, in her case Brain fog, fatigue and anxiety. She did get referred to a long covid clinic, and made a couple of visists after waiting several months. All that was pretty chaotic with referrals from them not getting made until months after she had been told they would be. The contact at the clinic always very apologetic and the delays and saying they were swamped with work.She was referred to a psychologist and that took a year - in the end she was told she would have 6 half hour phone sessions with a counsellor, which she did find quite helpful. However during the 4th session she was told that a new supervisor had taken over and that that would be her final session, although the counsellor thought she would have benefitted from further sessions. It seems she didn't quite tick the right boxes.

Long Covid: my wife is still affected 2 years after first getting sick, in her case Brain fog, fatigue and anxiety. She did get referred to a long covid clinic, and made a couple of visists after waiting several months. All that was pretty chaotic with referrals from them not getting made until months after she had been told they would be. The contact at the clinic always very apologetic and the delays and saying they were swamped with work.She was referred to a psychologist and that took a year - in the end she was told she would have 6 half hour phone sessions with a counsellor, which she did find quite helpful. However during the 4th session she was told that a new supervisor had taken over and that that would be her final session, although the counsellor thought she would have benefitted from further sessions. It seems she didn't quite tick the right boxes.

That's dreadful! My wife's still waiting for a contact from the long covid clinic but at least she's holding her job down for now. One of the Directors there has it too so there's been a good deal of support and sympathy, thankfully.

Opinion
It is vital that we retain some reliable covid-19 surveillance tools

The “Living with Covid” plan was announced by the government with great fanfare, but lacks a clear data strategy: what studies and resources does the government intend to keep? How will they track new variants? We need more transparency around this. While the government’s plan puts the focus on the importance of vaccines in curbing the spread, it is surveillance studies that can monitor the effectiveness of these vaccines and waning immunity

https://www.bmj.com/content/377/bmj.o900

The papers are re-finding their covid voices today - not before time.

NHS under ‘enormous strain’ in England as trusts declare critical incidents
Health leaders say heavy demand, staff shortages and Covid cases are overwhelming the NHS

Dr Layla McCay, director of policy at the NHS Confederation, which represents the whole healthcare system, said the situation had become so serious that “all parts” of the health service were now becoming “weighed down”. This will have a “direct knock-on effect” on the ability of staff to tackle the care backlog, she added, as well as the current provision of urgent and emergency care.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ain-england-trusts-declare-critical-incidents

T was made redundant in August 20 and hasn't worked since. Don't know when she'll feel able to work again or at what, she's having to make to-do lists constantly or she forgets things, and has a couple of other health issues. After seven years she's finally been referred for a hernia, last April the doctor told her due to budget restrictions it wasn't serious enough to be referred for, a different doctor has now referred her as it does limit what she can do, but don't know how long the wait to see someone will be. She did see someone about the other issue in February (delayed from December), has been sent an online contact for physiotherapy ( has to jump through some hoops before they'll consider further treatment) and an appointment to go back in September, if that doesn't get delayed. She's only 47. Our thoughts last year, were that she would need to have some sort of job by August 21for us to be able to manage, but was in no fit state by then. With the cost of everything rising and just the one wage it's all a bit worrying. My step-daughter has just got a fairly well paid job so should be able to start helping out with the bills once she gets her first paycheck. With a bit of luck the sale of my mum's flat will go through in the next couple of months and our share of that should keep our heads above water.
Sorry all a bit off topic.

advertisement

Back