advertisement

The 2022 Formula One Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bring back the fan - then downforce is more or less constant:D

Not in the 1978 Brabham interpretation, there it was driven off the engine crankshaft and varied with rpm. In the original 1970 Chaparral 2J Can Am series fan car, the fans (two of them) was driven by it's own engine and at constant rpm thus giving the same downforce at all speeds. It ha been said that the air thrust from the fans alone could actually drive the car at about 20 mph or so!

Someone would complain that their car was being hit by more debris :)

I guess it would give a new meaning to the words 'dirty air' behind the car...

Thanks for posting this.

He has described the technical difficulties pretty well. CFD can model time constants and nowadays we have 60% models and orders of magnitude more data and so teams are in a better position to avoid / fix these problems than in the ground effect days.

In 1992 at McLaren we had a front wing flutter problem. Of course the first thing to do was to see if we could get some advantage out of it. Having concluded that was not the case the aerodynamicists worked on reducing the effect, whilst the mechanical design team worked to ensure that the wing was robust enough to survive. In those days there was far less videoing of cars etc and so no mention of this was ever made in the public domain. Whereas, for example, cars like the Ferrari in 2011 was documented to have this problem from time to time.

As shown above, there is barely any free coverage, you can use a VPN to watch the Middle East live showings, but sometimes the commentary can be in local languages.

You can of course use a VPN and watch the F1 Channel for peanuts compared to Sky/Now TV coverage. The image quality is also better, as opposed to Now TV's pathetic 720p subscription (without their paid for 'Boost' which still only takes it to a paltry 1080p)

I am just watching the BBC news headlines and literally ten minutes before the C4 coverage is about to begin these bunch of utter arseholes headline the results with not a hint of a spoiler alert, why are we tied to paying a tax for this kind of crap........ guess what I am a bit megga pissed off

If I have my facts correct, the BBC really does get to have its cake and eat it. It can give the headlines without sensitivity whilst the company it 50% owns takes in the revenue from subscribers for this and all the other material it puts through NowTV.

On topic, kudos to Ian in particular for his posts which add to the F1 threads greatly each year.

If I have my facts correct, the BBC really does get to have its cake and eat it. It can give the headlines without sensitivity whilst the company it 50% owns takes in the revenue from subscribers for this and all the other material it puts through NowTV.
I thought that Now (it is not called Now TV anymore) is a service from Sky. Nothing to do with the BBC.

I think you’re right, I’ll be interrogating the person who suggested otherwise to me

Looking forward to the return of Albert Park :)
Could be a great race - 4 DRS zones and potentially almost half the track with the wing wide open :cool:

LeClerc wins. Verstappen disqualified for Annoying the Nation. Both Mercedes released into the wild by Greenpeace activists who thought this was Sea World.

Mercedes are supposedly coming with smaller rear wings in an attempt to reduce the porpoising and reduce drag.

Mercedes are supposedly coming with smaller rear wings in an attempt to reduce the porpoising and reduce drag.
They need to try this as it should increase the speed at which porpoising starts.

But their car has been optimised around a particular lift to drag ratio and by creating a smaller rear wing, they will be running the car away from the optimum downforce level for the Melbourne track, with their core achieved lift to drag ratio.

What I am saying is that this is a band aid for now, and in the process of doing this, should help them learn more about how to fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back