advertisement

Whisky II

I decided to sack off going to the Campbeltown Festival this year and so went a bit mad and bought the Craigallachie, Ardmore, Benrinnes and Caol Ila.
I really like Ardmore. It pops up at £20 all over and it's great. Lightly peated but not sickly sweet and bland as so many cheaper malts, especially Speyside, tend to be. I suspect that I prefer it to the very disappointing Oban Little Bay I got for Christmas as a mistake purchase when they thought it was the same as the 14. It's not, it's like piss. For £40-odd it's a fxxing piss take and I am really, really pissed off.

@stevec67 vote with your wallet next time and take your business elsewhere.
Whiskybroker and other independents like North Star and A D Rattray are consistently good vfm imo.

Haven't had a sup in a while...

Easy.night watching Constantine (Ardbeg is his tipple but I've none of their wares in)!

Have to say, I've a few Signatory bottles and I've been really impressed with all of them...

Trip to Lindores Abbey distillery today. Came back with a bottle of their intriguing and quite delicious Aqua Vitae, plus their first release whisky (a young but absolutely excellent lowland-style). Well worth a visit, especially given its legitimate claim to be the birthplace of whisky.

Also deliberating over maybe - just maybe - getting a private cask; anyone done this?

Trip to Lindores Abbey distillery today. Came back with a bottle of their intriguing and quite delicious Aqua Vitae, plus their first release whisky (a young but absolutely excellent lowland-style). Well worth a visit, especially given its legitimate claim to be the birthplace of whisky.

Also deliberating over maybe - just maybe - getting a private cask; anyone done this?

I've had a look into it (for Raasay) but by the time you work out all the costs, including bottling etc., then it can be quite expensive.

Reactions: JTC
Lindores may be the first recorded location of distilling but whether it is the first actual location is open to debate.

I understand their Russians have divested but you may want to make sure.

Somewhere like Whiskybroker would be cheaper to buy a cask but probably not as sexy.
https://www.whiskybroker.co.uk/buy-...ck&utm_medium=adverts&utm_campaign=Buy-a-Cask

I think it could be the sort of thing you might do with half a dozen mates. But yeah, as SteveG points out, what seems an attractive and fun investment for an initial two or three grand, when it comes to bottling, duty etc, can work out way more expensive. Fun thing to do if you’ve got the spare cash though, and the bottles would make fantastic gifts.

I think it could be the sort of thing you might do with half a dozen mates. But yeah, as SteveG points out, what seems an attractive and fun investment for an initial two or three grand, when it comes to bottling, duty etc, can work out way more expensive. Fun thing to do if you’ve got the spare cash though, and the bottles would make fantastic gifts.
My boss has done this with a few of his mates. I think their outlay for an Arran cask was around £3k about 5-6 years ago and its stored for 10 years. If they want to bottle, I believe he said it would be the same again for bottling fees, duty, labels etc. There are plenty of places offering casks just now, either distillery direct or from brokers. There are also plenty of stories out there on the secondary market of casks not being what they are advertised as, caveat emptor.

Due to Mr Weekender’s links I have a Caol Ila and Craigellachie on hold at Whisky Broker. I will add another bottle or two to make postage more palatable. Any recommendations for likely palatable whisky from:

Glen Ord
Inchgower
Fettercairn

I liked Fettercairn last time I had it but that was around 30 years ago!

Not a fan of Fettercairn, and I live close to it. Harsh stuff.
Their (Fettercarin) indie bottles are actually pretty decent. I have had two very good ones from Cadenhead in the past three years, a 14 yo and 12 yo, I think.

I got a Craigellachie as well along with a Tullibardine that was in storage from whisky broker. I like the look of the 10yo blended and almost went with that to give some value to postage fees. The Glen Ord and Fettercairn have been in one single cask, I suspect they must be ok because they have not needed to be reracked. One caveat would be to make sure the whisky has decent period to breathe, their Blair Atholl apparently settled quite considerably with some air.

https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/192009/blair-athol-1997-whb

advertisement

Back