advertisement

Witch Hat Audio New Power Cable.

Full Morgana here. Heard a definite (very positive) difference between them and the Naim originals and the Teddy Burndy’s. Have swapped them in and out to confirm. No blind testing though, so could be all in my head.
I draw the line at power cables. Complete foo. I can’t tell the difference between an Amazon basics kettle lead and a Naim power line. Had the power line for a month, swapped it for a kettle lead, not a blind bit of difference to my ears.

Gosh. I found that the powerline most obviously sounded forced and treble emphasised compared to the standard Naim offering. It had to go. Not my thing at all.

When i have tried a uprated power cable on my naim system the hicap seemed to show the biggest upgrade followed by the power amp, the Chord Audio power cable i tried was better than the Naim Powerline imo , i respect people opinions on what they hear or not hear, maybe before considering anything like this get the best system you can afford first.

Yes I get that the current draw in fact goes in pulses, but what reason is there to suppose that ordinary mains cables are not specfied to permit the peak current draw during the charging cycle rather than just the rms. This property is the same for all power supplies, not just ones for audio devices. Is it being suggested that any of this is news?

I am sorry to say you have not got the point or the idea, so thick is good but pointless to exceed 3-5 time the rating, but as you and other are aware current in thick cable taken at high speed can be effect by wire gauge i.e.skin effect.
Most folk assume 50Hz/60Hz is all it needs, this is true for electric fire ,lamps etc But a device that has rectification and can demand current to charge fast the caps and the skin effect can make a small difference, now I and other have found this can be heard, I did this a Tellurium Q they still use my designs and design principle as they can't think out of the box limit of there mind and wallet. Also I have a added advantage I am Autistic a pain in the arse with normal life but a gift for coming up with new designs.
Many year ago I work on a design that had been buggered by another "Designer" it was a high power Ultra Sonic cleaner at 400W 40KHz he had use solid core wire and the thing perform badly all I did was to change the wire to Litz the cleaner worked a hell of lot better, I learn that on Sonar Guidance on torpedo's as a apprentice engineer.
So I suggest you try it and see what you can hear and if you cant' well Boots do a hearing test now.

Have fun I off for a day building A Class Amps bye.

Last edited:
I am sorry to say you have not got the point or the idea, so thick is good but pointless to exceed 3-5 time the rating, but as you and other are aware current in thick cable taken at high speed can be effect by wire gauge i.e.skin effect.
Most folk assume 50Hz/60Hz is all it needs, this is true for electric fire ,lamps etc But a device that has rectification and can demand current to charge fast the caps and the skin effect can make a small difference, now I and other have found this can be heard
If this has an effect on the output of the psu then it should be trivially easy to demontrate it using measurements. And I have no idea what you mean by "most folk" but I'm quite confident that anyone who designs PSUs knows about the current draw requirement of an AC/DC converter.
Have you approached NICE incidentally because the mind boggles at the number of lives you could save if you could perusde them to use your cables on MRI, ultraound scanners etc. Or Jodrell Bank?

Oh dear, didn’t take long for this to go south, did it?!
/start soapbox
I agree (see USB cables and Power regeneration) - why-oh-why-oh-why !

Litz wire is a proven application with high-frequency currents, it would not at all surprise me if these applications include MRI scanners and Jodrell - I am no expert and will leave it at that. @CJ14 says he can hear the effect in audio. I believe he can and am willing to accept it. I don't get why some of the same arguments "where are the measurements" or "double-blind" keep coming up - these matter to some people and less so to others, so why cannot we just live with it and treat them as inputs / opinions?
/end soapbox

I have had the opportunity to test the Litz power cable courtesy of @ABCaudio . "In my application and using my ears it did not add or remove. I did not conduct any objective measurements and no blindfolds were harmed in the process".

How much are they, perhaps I will buy one and have it sent over, I would like to see some actual measurements rather than conjecture.

Keith

How much are they, perhaps I will buy one and have it sent over, I would like to see some actual measurements rather than conjecture.

Keith
Why would you bother? Some of your customers frequent this forum, myself included. Do you think your reputation is enhanced by actions such as this one? Do any of the cable 'haters' / objectivists shop with you? Does Amir shop with you? I bet the answer is no and no.
I'll be frank, I find the constant attacks against anyone who says anything positive about cable upgrades irritating, juvenile and off-putting. You are far from the only one and most of the others are on my ignore list - doubtless they don't care.
Tony has complained that the negativity on cable threads takes up far too much moderation time and effort. It hasn't stopped any of you. There is complete lack of respect for both the moderation team and fellow forum members with differing opinions. You are all so busy being 'right' that a little consideration, a little space for those who see the world differently to you is seemingly impossible.

Why would you bother? Some of your customers frequent this forum, myself included. Do you think your reputation is enhanced by actions such as this one? Do any of the cable 'haters' / objectivists shop with you? Does Amir shop with you? I bet the answer is no and no.
I'll be frank, I find the constant attacks against anyone who says anything positive about cable upgrades both irritating, juvenile and off-putting. You are far from the only one and most of the others are on my ignore list - doubtless they don't care.
Tony has complained that the negativity on cable threads take up far too much moderation time and effort. It hasn't stopped any of you. There is complete lack of respect for both the moderation team and fellow forum members with differing opinions. You are all so busy being 'right' that a little consideration, a little space for those who see the world differently to you is seemingly impossible.
Fully agree and have posted similar opinions, it must put new/newish members off posting cos it’s obvious it’ll turn into an argument.

If this has an effect on the output of the psu then it should be trivially easy to demontrate it using measurements. And I have no idea what you mean by "most folk" but I'm quite confident that anyone who designs PSUs knows about the current draw requirement of an AC/DC converter.
Have you approached NICE incidentally because the mind boggles at the number of lives you could save if you could perusde them to use your cables on MRI, ultraound scanners etc. Or Jodrell Bank?

Sorry Jodrell Bank uses wave guide on there dishes as the frequency is far to high for cable and the losses would be to high, due to skin effect.
As to the medical equipment using Ultra Scan etc they do use Litz, just have a chat with my cousin at Oxford Instruments.

As to PSU designs, I have designed power supplies from a few watts to 5.5MW DC, and some very high speed resonant full bridge SMPSU for a space station that run at a clocking frequency of 1MHz and a 1KW with a 97% eff rating, not a simple 9V battery job.
As to folk, for me that a term I use between stranger and friend, not as a insult to anybody.

Sorry Jodrell Bank uses wave guide on there dishes as the frequency is far to high for cable and the losses would be to high, due to skin effect.
As to the medical equipment using Ultra Scan etc they do use Litz, just have a chat with my cousin at Oxford Instruments.

As to PSU designs, I have designed power supplies from a few watts to 5.5MW DC, and some very high speed resonant full bridge SMPSU for a space station that run at a clocking frequency of 1MHz and a 1KW with a 97% eff rating, not a simple 9V battery job.
As to folk, for me that a term I use between stranger and friend, not as a insult to anybody.

I'm continually amazed at how those on PFM with limited understand of the subject feel empowered to shout down those with demonstarable deep wisdom of the subject based on many years of hands on quantitative and qualitative experience. There again I'm amazed at how many continue to deny Climate Crisis. As an aside - CJ14 - your LS-80 cables are awesome! :)

Iagain I'm amazed at how many continue to deny Climate Crisis.
Yes. Given the overwhelming body of scientific evidence and the compelling moral case it defies belief that anyone questions the utility of aftermarket mains cables. When will governments act? With so many legislators in the pocket of the generic mains cable industry, not soon.

I’m an audiophile and can attest to the differences in sound between interconnects and speaker cables, absolutely.
I have used upgraded mains cables but can honestly say I can detect no improvement in sound quality, dynamics etc…
..very much budget, next step up over stock leads that I’ve swapped in though. Not inexpensive, but not silly money either.

But, I’ve never scaled the dizzying financial outlay these, or Chords, or Naims mainsleads would cost, but would if I won the lottery or something.
And even then, I wonder if their impact on my system may be more psychological for me than a marked improvement in sound?….
After all, 230v being transformed and conditioned internally is still occurring no matter what copper lead is getting the juice in, surely?
Can someone confirm, who’s made the huge financial jump across their seperates that there really is a marked improvement?

(I don’t want to Witchhat bash here as I have found no equal ‘pound-to-sound’ for their N2 speaker cable….and they always represent marked savings on Naim alternatives they offer to their customer demographic.)

advertisement

Back