advertisement

Gentle Giant - In a Glass House

MichaelC

pfm Member
I am reconsidering what my favourite GG album is. And, I do believe it is this currently. Having said that The Power and the Glory has had quite a bit of play time. I suppose this is chapter II of the life of GG. More rock orientated (relatively speaking that is) superb melodies. Not a duff track.

An interesting band to say the least. And very difficult to pin down their best.

Agreed.
I put The Missing Piece up there too with Octopus, Free Hand, Giant for a day and The Power and the Glory just behind

I love everything they did up to '75. Interview is half good. Favourites are Octopus and Acquiring the Taste.

In A Glass House is my favourite too. And I've been looking for a nice UK original for less than stupid money since I foolishly sold mine in the great scorched earth vinyl blitz...

In the '70s "IAGH" was a favorite, partly because of rarity. It was never released in the US, so had to be special-ordered as an import. Mine had an off-center hole, so did the copies of everyone else I knew who had it. This was particularly bothersome on the organ at the end of Side 1.

Now, having long ago left Prog behind, if I were to pull out a GG album it would be "Acquiring the Taste" or "Octopus".

Always great to scare the crap out of anyone who doesn't know it.

Put it on a very high volume and play.
:)

I got Gentle Giant, loved them
Seeing them live showed what fantastic musicians they were.
Swapping instruments in the middle of songs was great, showy yes, but again underlining how good they were

"Frère Jacques" sung in the round through a quadrophonic sound system at Hemel Hempstead (mid/late '70s) was a hoot.

One of the band started doing Eric Morecombe impersonations when the spotlighting went wrong.

Good times...

Kerry Minnear of GG is a christian and he played with a gospel band called the Reapers in the early eighties. They made a Christmas tape , not a record I don't think and it definitely sounds GGish. I provided scans of some Reapers cassette tapes for the official GG web site. When I lived in Kent I met Kerry once while he was touring with the Reapers and we had a chat...about music of course.

Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

https://www.discogs.com/release/3359715-Gentle-Giant-GG-At-The-GG-Sight-And-Sound-In-Concert

GG at the GG is my favourite

Taken from their Sight & Sound broadcast on the BBC at the Golders Green Hippodrome.

Thanks for the heads-up. Just bought the DVD and starting watching last night - great concert.

My vote is probably for Free Hand but I have quite a few I should go back and listen to.

CHE

advertisement

Back