advertisement

Cod and Chips ( home cooked )

Looks like deep and shallow fried potatoes and potato confections get almsot as many different names across the UK, as do various shaped bits of bread!

Speaking of unhealthy but delicious fried potato fare, I just had a Pavlovian saliva gush at the thought of those reibkucken(?), kartoffelpuffe(?) on Nuremberg Christmas market, served with apple sauce after heroic quantities of beer. Who knew grated spud could be so delicious?

Scallops, with the short ‘a’ sound,

And there's me thinking they were noiseless ! o_O

Assuming one doesn't want to cook both together, it's so easy to just fry the fish in your own batter (wiv a bit of beer thrown in) in any oil you normally use. The chips we cook are done in a saucepan with veggie, s/flower (to be in short supply soon) or corn oil, Par-boiling chips initially does give a lovely crispy finish. Used to use a deep far fryer when cooking for a household; it's functional but a bugger to clean.

I used to like fish and chips as a kid, but just can't eat and enjoy greasy fried food anymore, so I've dumped the deep fat fryer.

Not a very helpful post I know, but c'est la vie.

Batter bits…

I think they were free (?) in our Chippy when I was a youth.

I was shocked when I left home (at 16) and moved to the Isle o Wight.

Going into a Chippy down there. - No mushy peas. No gravy…
no cobs. insanity.

Fish tonight and this is quick, and very tasty. The sauce is just a bit of wine or water with seaweed, prawns and mussels. The latter from the freezer and discarded with the seaweed after simmering for twenty minutes. A teaspoon of Tom purée if you don’t like brown coloured sauce. The carrot and Calabrese are steamed on top of the sauce. The fish is shallow fried or steamed ( on top of the stock/sauce ) All is plated and given two minutes in the microwave. A small dish of unfrozen peas/mussels/shrimp is added in the last minute and goes into the splash of sauce to fill the plate…

Fish tonight and this is quick, and very tasty. The sauce is just a bit of wine or water with seaweed, prawns and mussels. The latter from the freezer and discarded with the seaweed after simmering for twenty minutes. A teaspoon of Tom purée if you don’t like brown coloured sauce. The carrot and Calabrese are steamed on top of the sauce. The fish is shallow fried or steamed ( on top of the stock/sauce ) All is plated and given two minutes in the microwave. A small dish of unfrozen peas/mussels/shrimp is added in the last minute and goes into the splash of sauce to fill the plate…

Thats never two portions of veg ;-)

advertisement

Back