advertisement

TOCA SECA 20W single-ended class A amp

I think this popped up before, no idea if it sold and now up for resale or simply never sold.

Front panel mod is pretty loathsome and I hope it hasn't been tinkered with inside by some total tool.

Might be an idea to actually read the item description ;)

Assuming the description is truthful and nothing's been botched since the claimed service. Suspicions are roused by anyone that would slap that awful panel on the front and secure it in such a naff way.

These were DIY builds, rather than commercial products. Colin produced the circuit and sold the boards. Hence the cases are generally not up to the standard you might see on a mainstream product. I bought the late James Coltart's (Sovereign on AoS) SECA 40W, which sounds spectacular. The casework is very similar albeit in black. Colin has been really helpful after I bought this. Below is is James' thread on the build.

http://www.audiochews.com/discussion/1609/sovereigns-new-40w-seca-class-a

I think this one is actually one of Colin's production builds from several decades ago, as opposed to the DIY boards he supplied

Aha! That's where I saw before. If from "Quickie" then it would have been in top fettle when it left him.

I think this one is actually one of Colin's production builds from several decades ago, as opposed to the DIY boards he supplied

Exactly that, even the original front panel is still in the sale. If the current seller has not tinkered then all should be fine....Excellent in fact.

Aha! That's where I saw before. If from "Quickie" then it would have been in top fettle when it left him.

Exactly that, even the original front panel is still in the sale. If the current seller has not tinkered then all should be fine....Excellent in fact.
Definitely, I don't need one but always fancied trying one.

I originally bought this over a decade ago now from a dealer. Think I paid around £1250 for it.

Was running an Inca Designs ID75 at the time, which was superb, but the Toca was even better, and plays louder then the power rating would suggest.

Only a handful were ever made, and the ones fitted with the granite front panel (I've never seen another) should have had threaded bushes, and a soft touch start on the lettering, not the push switch in the middle which was fitted.

No idea why this one was different (Col was long gone)

I rebuilt the amp, and had the chassis power coated in dove grey (the heatsinks were bare ali then) and reglued the front panel on using a big threaded aluminium plate, but it's done the rounds since, been buggered about with, and got damaged in transit at least twice to my knowledge hence the latest rebuild. There are some pics over on chews of Cols work.

The circuit was published in wireless world, but the Pcb's were never made available for DIY.

I've only got some as I had a batch of 10 boards made up from the original artworks to build my own amps.

One of the best amps I have ever owned, and if I hadn't of recently built one of Colins newer EWA designs, I would probably still be running a lower biased version of this.

advertisement

Back